: Harry Potter 2 / Monsters In My Pocket

Eddache
Here's my review of Harry Potter 2 from today's update:

I went to see Harry Potter 2 yesterday. Well, by 'went to see' I mean 'dragged by my earlobes to see'. The film is ok. Harry Potter never really appealed to me so I wasn't overly keen about it. It has the effects and stuff but the story is pretty much exactly what happened in the first! Harry goes to school, there's some shit going down, Heremacceroni (whatever her damn name is) figures out stuff, Ron say something stupid, Harry bursts in there, has a one-on-one with the bad guy, he saves the day, everyone cheers, whoopee-bloody-doo! Oh, and this 'Dobby' guy... all I can say is that he's the bastard child of Jar Jar Binks! So, unless you're 12 or under or just a sad Harry Potter fanatic, I wouldn't bother. Oh, and this so-called "special secret ending that you have to hang around after the credits to see", don't bother with that either. It's not worth wasting 10 minutes of your life for.

Comments?

A.S.H.
Books are always better anyway.

Phil
I haven't even read the books. I know people go around talking about how good they are, but I can't be bothered to read them, let alone see the movies based on them.

Bobmaestro
I wish I'd read the bit about the "secret ending" in your review before I went to see the film earlier today. It's not worth wasting ten seconds of your life for.

All in all I thought the film was better than the first one but you really have to read the books to appreciate Harry Potter. The films don't do them justice at all.

Eddache
i agree with Dave that the second is better than the first. but i still felt it was still corny in places. granted its a kids film, but so is Monsters Inc and Shrek and Ice Age and those films rocked!

MechaVaran
I actually thought it was pretty good,well parts of it were anyway.Such as the fight with the Basilisk and the giant spiders rocked! But god that movie was loooooooooooooooooong

Eddache
Harry Potter got 'The Basilisk' competely wrong. I know this coz i actually have a deep interest in mythology. Basilisk's are NOT giants snakes that kill you by making eye contact. They are in fact part snake and part chicken, and very posionous!

This is a proper Basilisk:
http://webhome.idirect.com/~donlong/monsters/IMAGES/basil.gif

More info here - http://webhome.idirect.com/~donlong/monsters/Html/Basilisk.htm

MechaVaran
Originally posted by Eddache
Harry Potter got 'The Basilisk' competely wrong. I know this coz i actually have a deep interest in mythology. Basilisk's are NOT giants snakes that kill you by making eye contact. They are in fact part snake and part chicken, and very posionous!

Well I to happen to be deep into mythology,that's why I liked the Basilisk(even though it is waaaaaaaaaay off)

And that's a really bad ass picture,looks almost real.

Eddache
yeah, the whole snake bit was impressive i do admit.

i guess i'm just a bit of a nitpicker!

coinilius
I remember the Basilisk from the old Monster In My Pocket toys... it was a proper chicken/snake hybrid.

edit: Come to think of it, that might have been a Cockatrice. Or maybe they had both.

edit 2: Also, the page you linked to about the Basilisk says itself that the creatures appearance changed over the course of it's mythological evolution, from just a snake to the more common chicken/snake...

so really, Chris Columbus was invoking an earlier model of the basilisk when it comes to the visuals.

As for the killing people when it makes eye contact thing, well, I guess that was just added becuase otherwise it would have simply killed everyone straight off the bat with it's death-vision. :knocked_o

Haven't read the book, so I can't comment on the way it's used in that.

Eddache
I remember the "Monster In My Pocket" toys! they were the COOLEST TOYS EVER!!

MechaVaran
Oh yeah,I used to have a ton of those little guys.I don't remember a cockatrice being one though

Eddache
no the cockatrice wasn't a monster in my pocket. a Basilisk was

coinilius
Then it must have been the Basilisk toy I was thinking off... it had a really cool design, actually.

I always liked the short lived monsters in my pocket comic that Harvey Comics (I think) put out. It was suprisingly funny.

Eddache
http://www.raumhafen.de/galerie/rubber_guys/mimp/007.jpg

My mistake, it was a cockatrice!

More info, plus pics of ALL the original "Monsters In My Pockets" monsters here - http://www.raumhafen.de/cgi-bin/showp.pl?pic=/galerie/rubber_guys/mimp/s1&titel=Monster%20In%20My%20Pocket%20-%20Series%201

Oh, i think this is what you was talking about Coinilius -> http://www.raumhafen.de/cgi-bin/showp.pl?pic=/galerie/rubber_guys/mimp/comic1&titel=M.I.M.P.%20Comic%20#1

I had those comics too! they were the best! ah, they don't make them like they used to! fucking Pokemon!

coinilius
Yay! Monsters in my pocket!

And yes, that is the comic book! Great read... especially the Exterminator, the Monsters in My Pocket answer to Marvels Punisher.

Eddache
Just so this thread seems its on subject, i changed the thread title!

Monsters In My Pocket r0zz0rs ur b0ll0z0rs or something like that!