: FFA on GBA?

Jemsy
I don't know how many of you may have heard this already, but, apparently, Square is to be re-releasing Final Fantasy Adventures (the game preceding Secret of Mana and originally for GameBoy) on the GameBoy Advance. Does this mean Secret of Mana is next? We can only hope... I know if my SNES were to die I think I would cry and go into depression and skip school for a month or so.

Well, maybe only about a week...

Except there are always ROMs... BUT IT'S JUST NOT THE SAME!
blarg.

Anyways, here's a link to an old news article I found a while ago before I found this lovely site.

http://www.rpgamer.com/news/Q3-2002/082602e.html

flamingspinach
'course it's the same! What's the difference? Put it on 1024x768 w/scanlines, and it looks perfect. ??? Well, anyway, I, for one, am a person, believe it or not, who, irrationally, uses a large, but not infinitely, or humongously, large, amount of a certain type of punctuation, commonly called a comma, yet manages, somehow, to still be grammatically correct. Wait, that's not what I was going to say... What I meant to say was: I like the trend of SNES games appearing on GBA. That way, the next generation of pure-hearted gamers can play these classics.

Billybobgeorgebob
Gues what. According to Nintendo Power, it isn't currently sceduled for the US.

The Great Bahamut
I have heard the same from Nintendo Power, but it is FF Tactics Advanced. It will be a different story from the PSX version. As with all such games, though plans for the US port are unclear, it should come over here. They can't deny us any FF games...

Billybobgeorgebob
Um... FF5 and FF4 and FF2 and...

RabidFlamingo
<i>but it is FF Tactics Advanced. It will be a different story from the PSX version.</i>

Its not FFT at all! It's a completely different game! ARGH!!!

Alora
FF games rereleased for the PS.. they aren't the same. Sure, they got lovely FMV openings and such, but the load time is slow. *is speaking in reference to Final Fantasy 6* It was just annoying. At least, I thought it was. Better on a ROM or the good old SNES.

Billybobgeorgebob
Ok... I gues I have no choice... Time to open an old discusion i had on the Gamespy (http://www.gamespy.com) Forums! SPRITES VS. POLYGONS! YaaaaaaaY

rob_ot3
sprites kick butt; you need roughly 500'000 polygons to make most things look decent. So what uses less, something that takes 64 to however many pixels or somthing that requires a 3D card to even think about? nuff' said

flamingspinach
Yup. Sprites rule. Plus, it's a lot easier to rip them... I mean, polygonal figures are simply 2D projections and have an infinite number (theoretically) of possible positions, where sprites usually have 12 (in simple-graphics games) or more, but never more than a thousand per character (though it seems to reach near that in Tales of Phantasia).

RandomFerret
Don't anybody think I'm raggin' on my roots here (I put an 8-bit sprite of Bub on my jacket), but sprites, however well drawn and coloured, reach their limits when it comes to animations. To have the same level of animation in a sprite as is possible with a 3d model, it would have to have 60 frames for every single second of gameplay. Everybody would agree that this is excessive. And if the game designers wants to make use of cinematic effects such as camera angles and lighting, impossible. Up until FFX there was a question of expressiveness, since all the models up to that point had simply relied on pantomime outside of FMV cutscenes, but with dynamic facial expressions, there's no real question. 3d models are superior as player-controlled characters and in story development. We cannot allow nostalgia to cloud our judgement!

Kuro-chan
Well, I for one sincerely hope that they don't ruin the remake of this game. I have seen too many games ruined because they focused too much on enhancing the graphics and music while hurting the actual game play. I am satisfied with Seiken Densetsu I and how the game performed, while the battle system was fairly basic and the enemy movements were predictable. If they were to change the performance of the battle and system, they should do two seperate versions so that those who are not familiar with how the game played originally can enjoy what it was like.

Later,

Sprite Monkey
I'm sorry to inform you Kuro-chan, but it is very unlikely they will not screw up the remake of this game. Take a game as simple as the remake of Super Mario Brothers 2 for the GBA.

When it was released, I was pretty excited to play it and bought it. Low and behold... Scrolling backgrounds, water effects, little "touch-ups" here and there. Also, the edition of the secret eggs was very annoying, and I ended up being very frustrated and angry with it.

Maybe I'm a pesismist, but I prefer to think of myself as a realist who lives in a crappy world. The smart money is on SoM being "touched up" too.

RabidFlamingo
Oh wait a moment, ehe... I screwed up again didn't I? *Sigh* I'm going to leave now.

Kuro-chan
Well, I look back on one game that was redone for SNES: All-Stars. Overall, I thought it did the four games they put together justice. The only thing I was disappointed with was that in SMario3, once you beat Bowser and restart, you are supposed to start your next game with a full inventory of P-Wings... that does not happen in the SNES version.

Also, a question for those who know what I am talking about, in All-Stars, did anyone else have some real trouble with the "Lost Levels" game? especially towards Worlds C+D?

Later,

Hamelin
I'll have to amuse myself with my copy of the game on GameBoy then.

The Great Bahamut
In response to the slow load times of remade FF games. I changed the speed setting of the PSX driver on my PS2 and it made the games much faster...

As for different graphics, I don't really care as long as the story is good and the right summons are present.

The Savage Lady
I think it'd be great to have SOM on advance, as long as they didn't change a fuggn thing! I mean its perfect by itself, and you can carry it around with you without having to plug in your SNES or log on your comptuer. I heard somewhere that they have a little device you can actually save games onto gameboy cartriges and then play it on gameboy. Cool or what?

Typhin
Originally posted by The Savage Lady
I heard somewhere that they have a little device you can actually save games onto gameboy cartriges and then play it on gameboy. Cool or what?
There exist flash carts that you can load roms onto and play them. They've probably been out for every cart system. They're usually used (legally) for development purposes to test a game on an actual unit without having to create the chips (time consuming and expensive). Check emulation sites for links to stores. www.gbxemu.com has a discount on the GBA ones, I think.

--Typhin, who wants one of them so he can create GBA games and play them on a real GBA. ^_^

flamingspinach
Say, isn't that an Eevee?

Typhin
Yeah, it was the closest thing to a fox they had, and I haven't made a custom avatar yet.

But I will. Oh yes, I will... ^_^

--Typhin, who's had no less than 14 people IM, begging for roms tonight.

[Edit: And right after I hit Post Reply, #15 messages... ^_^;;]

The Great Bahamut
Thanks for the link. I need to get that GBA cart kit.