: Reactions to Comic for 11/21/2002

DarkShive
Well, this isn't good...

Major Kerina
Awesome....actually suprisingly close to what I figured would happen when Ellen found out....hehe...yes I'm evil like that....great work as ever Dan...complications are always fun ^_^

Admiral Jimmy
Hehe..."Well...in theory, anyway..." I love that line ^_^

alebann
Well, at least Ellen knows she isn't going to vanish...
Should we start taking bets on who deals the final blow to the goo?

showler
Weren't they waiting for Nanase because she could protect Ellen while they talked. Kind of a failure there wasn't it?

Go-go-Gregmeister.

Deathscythe13x
not to sound unappreciative but..... finally.

Major Kerina
Yeah...needing more help or maybe Grace to step up and fix things is important right now...at least the possibility of Ellen dying is declining (highly unlikely that two female protagionists will be smited at the same time)

Lioconvoy
I would say that no one will die, but then Dan would kill someone just to spite me.

Still good strip.

Acanous
DON'T SAY THAT!!! now you KNOW they're gonna get blown away!
it's like saying "it can't get any worse" you're fricking DARING fate or dan to do it!

Packrat
Ok, thats probaly a record for "worst timeing". Maybe Greg and Grace will step in now.

Imperito
Am I the only one thinking about what being rapidly immersed in something sticky enough to go "splorch" must have on that skimpy getup nanase is sporting?
Probably.

Sylvandil
Originally posted by Imperito
Am I the only one thinking about what being rapidly immersed in something sticky enough to go "splorch" must have on that skimpy getup nanase is sporting?
Probably.

probally not anymore now that you've posted it lol

Major Kerina
*hits Imperito with a glancing blow from the Hammer Fury 3000 (tm)*....looks like it...

KatieCat
As far as who will finally defeat the goo, I'm still firmly in the Grace camp.

"Well, in theory..." I love dry humor in the face of adversity!

khald0n
Wow...Cyan 'real' Nanase is very freaky to look at....

Now we get to see Justin unleash his righteous fury! Grace is too powerful. C'mon, Justin!

Imperito
Yeah. good luck with that. My reflex saving throw is +22 :rock:, and my dodge modifier is +5 on top of that.

Sylvandil
anyway, great comic dan :)

Imperito
(empty body)

Acanous
OK.... sure there... but Grace should really get in on this... it'd be cool. ether that or tedd and elliot show up, tired and uninformed...
that could make for an interesting show...

DarkShive
that's enough hammering... anyway, Grace? Fighting? Her? Grace? ...fighting? I try to put the two words together, but they keep bouncing apart....

Ranma
Grace is a pacifist, we won't be seeing her fight unless Tedd himself is in trouble.

Acanous
awww.... we aren't gonna get to see grace fight?.... what if the goo was TFed into a ball of yarn as a delayed result of ellen's beam shots?
than could she?
..... nevermind. maybie her "brothers" will show up to see what's goin on, and we'll get an introductory comic as well as seein the goo go 'SPLODE!
or something.
oh well. most likely greg will join in and free the girls, or stall for time or something. i think he said at one point that Nanase was more powerfull than he was, but i could be mistaken... maybie he's a powerfull fighter under all that anime trivia?

DarkShive
Greg's stronger, faster, and better at Martial arts than Nanase, but Nanase's magic makes her power difficult to compare to others.

showler
Originally posted by khald0n
Wow...Cyan 'real' Nanase is very freaky to look at....

Can you imagine trying to have a serious conversation with her while she's changing colours like a walking disco?

http://www.itswalky.com/auctions/dancedance.jpg

Acanous
ahh, i see. thanks for the clarification. now all i gotta do is sit back and eat some popcorn while watchin the fight....

Major Kerina
Originally posted by DarkShive
Greg's stronger, faster, and better at Martial arts than Nanase, but Nanase's magic makes her power difficult to compare to others.

Cool...I thought all he could do was unsuccessfully attempt Super Sayans *pointy, spikey golden hair*...and make the stuff behind him go wavy....neat to know he can actually fight ^_^

And....what? I haven't hammered anybody in a while and besides...it was just a glancing blow...I hardly grazed him....

Wanderer
Maybe someone noticed before, but what's this triangle on Ellen's forehead?

alebann
a wound from the goo, nasty one it appears, little bit of blood trickling out. hard to draw properly in a long shot

Major Kerina
Does it appear to be still oozing? It kinda looks like a fresh scab to me at this distance.

Acanous
I dunno. time to listen to s'more music!
ahh... good.
I wonder exactly how this goo is gonna die...
seeing as how it's technically thier first fight.

spc mango
wow! i definatly dig nananse's humor under pressure

Acanous
yeah, she cool.
needs a shower or a good hoze down, now, but she cool.
check out my profile!
OOH! AAH! MUSIC!!!

Major Kerina
Originally posted by Ranma
Grace is a pacifist, we won't be seeing her fight unless Tedd himself is in trouble.

Send me in....I'll give the goo what for and send it home crying to it's mother nuceli :devil:

Seriously though, I say send in the next best thing...the hammer queen...if only she was more willing to fight...

Admiral Jimmy
Well, we know Tedd and Elliot are racing towards Moperville as fast as that guy that picked them up is willing to drive...so they're in the running, too.

And in that case, it's also possible that when they arrive, the Goo will attack Tedd directly, he'll get hurt, and Grace will go half-Jeremy and join the fun. ;)

Acanous
THAT would be cool.
but why would they race to the school? they were off to inform everyone. the school was propably on the list, but at #2 or 3...

jimmyinwhite
it's time for the next wave {greg, grace, & susan'hammer girl'}to get into the act .

spc mango
mother demon nuclei?
well, if the nuclei undergo mitosis, like standard nuclei...

then two daughter nuclei result, the parent nuclei...
well, i guess it kind of exists...but as part of the daughter nuclei.

what? i'm a science major?

Acanous
so there are propably more of them, like i thought.

spc mango
but there was demon nuclei sent to various dimensions (i'm assuming 1 each, but it's just a guess) to eliminate all the tedds.

why? maybe lord tedd watched too much highlander...

Acanous
or "The One"
with jet li.
that would propably do it...
'what? i can get all thier power and knowledge? KEEN!!!'

spc mango
i heard that movie sucked tomatoes

what'd you think?

Acanous
i liked the ending a lot. i only saw the last half, tho.
it was really cool.
a very well done movie, but it was a sci-fi, not a kung-fu, so it threw a lot of people off.
and in the end, the evil jet-li has a neverending hoard to kill.

Major Kerina
*knocks Mango off the ceiling with a 2by4* hey!...I like James Wong and Glen Morgan!....And Jet LI....the former pair worked on my favorite X-Files episodes and worked on the creepy Final Destination...

"Musings of A Cigarette-Smoking Man"
"Beyond the Sea"
"Deep Throat"

And wrote "The Others"

spc mango
final destination sucked too!

but the others was amazingly done

Acanous
final destination.... was that that stupid "cheat death" movie that sucked?

Prof_Sai
Hey! It's Thursday AM and we've got four lavish color comics already! This random updating thing is paying off. Maybe we should tell Dan he can post any time day or night and see what happens?

Major Kerina
Appeciate it but don't expect it every week. Dan just got ahead early in the week but wasn't ahead on Wednesday so no comic then...

Acanous
yup. i was thinking of saying something like "post them whenever you're ready"
but than he'd post on a 3-4 day basis, and we'd hafta wait the rest of the week out with no new comics...

Major Kerina
Good point....fortunately when you say "potential comic" you have a lot of wiggle room....

Acanous
yup... and your fans don't get mad, or even mildly annoyed!

Major Kerina
Why would we? We're getting a cool comic for free multiple times a week.

Acanous
exactly. but have you ever seen some of the stuff people put other comics through? they begin taking it for granted, and nag at you if you aren't done on time.
no i did not make my own comic.

Snowflake
I'm kind of eager to see Greg fight myself. He's a self-taught anime martial arts instructer, so ya know there's gotta be some skills involved. :)

Personally I think the battle is far from over, but then again I never even saw this battle coming in the first place, so who knows? :)

WEKM
I too apreciate when the comic is updated more frequently, but I am just happy when it is updated AT ALL.
Dan is a great comic artist and a WONDERFUL story-teller.
I also hope to finally see Greg in action, and just wait untill Elliot and Ted get there......

Delrik
I hope Ellen trys to zap the goo, misses, and hits Elliot just as he walks in. I mean, the beam does look like the TF gun beam, after all. Then the "sisters" could defeat the goo together!

Talk about "wonder twins power". :)

KatieCat
So if Grace is too much of a pacifist to fight even to defend her friends, why have Greg drop the hint about her power? Red herring, Dan?

Or are you setting up an inner conflict in which Grace has to choose between her pacifist convictions or her friends' lives! As interesting as such introspection might be, it wouldn't be very interesting visual...and this is a comic.

Besides, we've seen her go "Bobby Knight" once before.

GO GRACE!

showler
Originally posted by Acanous
but why would they race to the school? they were off to inform everyone. the school was propably on the list, but at #2 or 3...

It's a damage control thing. They will want to find Ellen directly to tell her what is going on and stop her from messing things up with more people. Later they will try to fix the damage she already did. Since it is the middle of the school day, they should be fairly sure Ellen will be at school (where she can do maximum damage) and they won't be sure that Grace was able to talk to her first, so they will go there just in case.

Also, when they get reasonably close to the school (which may be on the way through town) the running and screaming students should direct them to Ellen.

Ryera
Originally posted by Admiral Jimmy
Well, we know Tedd and Elliot are racing towards Moperville as fast as that guy that picked them up is willing to drive...

Just signed in, first post! Anyway ... has anyone hypothesized that that guy (from this'n http://www.elgoonishshive.com/dailysep2002.htm?09092002 ) might be Damien or something? They've both got what looks to be spiky hair :cheerful:

Cyan Nanase is spiffy ^_^

Snowflake
Just reread the comic, I love the 3D effect of the goo's angry maw in the "No More Games!!!!" panel. Just a kickass image, really stands out in my head now. :)

showler
Originally posted by Ryera
Just signed in, first post! Anyway ... has anyone hypothesized that that guy (from this'n http://www.elgoonishshive.com/dailysep2002.htm?09092002 ) might be Damien or something? They've both got what looks to be spiky hair :cheerful:

Cyan Nanase is spiffy ^_^

Oh yeah! Been mentioned, theorized and argued about (Damien....Hedge....Damien!...Hedge!...DAMIEN!!!....HEDGE!!!)

Major Kerina
That's a nice 3D look....deep...nasty-looking maw....

Welcome Rygera ^_^

spc mango
and red nanansed goes out cursing!

oh yeah..

HEDGE!

Acanous
Red Nan was pretty cool, but i think i liked the green one best.
BLEAH!!

Thom Khatt
Originally posted by showler
Oh yeah! Been mentioned, theorized and argued about (Damien....Hedge....Damien!...Hedge!...DAMIEN!!!....HEDGE!!!)

Tastes Great!

Less Filling!

TrueKaiser
Originally posted by Major Kerina
Cool...I thought all he could do was unsuccessfully attempt Super Sayans *pointy, spikey golden hair*...and make the stuff behind him go wavy....neat to know he can actually fight ^_^

wasn't anger the trigger that allowed goku and vegeta to go ssj?
maybe the sight of his best pupil being beaten like that will do it.

what i think would be funny about now is if some random person form the school pulls out a sword and yells "i have the power"

spc mango
wasn't that he-man?

Rayne
Originally posted by TrueKaiser
wasn't anger the trigger that allowed goku and vegeta to go ssj?
maybe the sight of his best pupil being beaten like that will do it.

what i think would be funny about now is if some random person form the school pulls out a sword and yells "i have the power"

its not so much anger that triggered it, going SSJ is triggered by extreme emotion, literaly an emotional breakdown, when you just can't deal with it and your go over the edge, thats when you go SSJ

Goku was triggered by anger, when Krillin was killed. Vegeta was triggered because of his emense jelousy that Goku was able to go SSJ and he couldn't

and of course, awesome comic Dan!

spc mango
so, if the driver (hedge!) ends up being carrot top...

the emotional shock of seeing his archnemesis helping his pupil would push him ver the edge?

DarkShive
I'd just like to state this, you know, for the record... *ahem* NOBODY IS GOING SUPER SAIYAN! EVER! EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER!!!! AND THE REASON THE MAGICAL SPECTRUM ATTACK DOESN'T HAVE AN ANIME OCCURANCE TO COMPARE TO IS BECAUSE I'M NOT TRYING TO COPY ANYBODY; I CAME UP WITH THAT ATTACK MYSELF AND AS FAR AS I KNOW IT'S AT LEAST SOMEWHAT ORIGINAL, ALTHOUGH WITH OVER SIX BILLION PEOPLE CURRENTLY ALIVE AND THE WWW COMBINING IDEAS IT'S KIND OF HARD TO DO SOMETHING THAT HASN'T ALREADY BEEN DONE IN SOME WAY BEFORE EVEN IF YOU'RE NOT TRYING TO COPY ANYONE!!! I'M NOT TRYING TO IMITATE ANY ANIME EVEN IF THERE ARE THE OCCASIONAL GAGS THAT MAKE REFERENCE TO THEM!

...wow. yipes. *erhem* um... yeah... capslock... yeah, um... hey, is that a demonic duck of some sort? ((runs away))

alebann
hey dan, I think your hair started to glow yellow for a second there.
j/k, I don't watch or read enough anime/manga to try and associate your stuff with anyone else's. I can see how it might get a little frustrating having your work indirectly called derivative.

showler
Acknowledged Dan.

On the other hand...if Ellen were to dye her hair yellow and make it all spikey, it would drive Greg nuts.

And there was talk about the possibility of Ellen dyeing :)

spc mango
*blink*

well, the magical spectrum was a cool attack.
and if anyone with ki can use it...
or was that the illusion thing?

DarkShive
Sorry I went into Capslock; on the plus side, I think it's the first time I ever really "yelled" about anything :bunny:

showler
Spectrum --> anyone with sufficient control over their Ki.

Magical Spectrum ---> requires magic + control over Ki.

So, neither Elliot nor Harry Potter could do the Magical Spectrum Attack, correct?

DarkShive
*blink blink* yes, Showler, that is correct. And yes, random Harry Potter references make me blink. ...*blink*

showler
I needed a magically enabled person who has no fighting training at all. He's kind of popular these days so why not.

Would you have preferred Hermione Granger?

Major Kerina
*raises arm high*

(Hermione Granger reference)

Personally I kinda like her better than Harry....I actually I like Ron better than Harry too....I dunno...

But on topic....the gooey death...what a way to go....*feigns being eaten by the goo*....hmm....no way to feign that....would it eat them? Or would it bang them against a wall until they left it alone......I wonder....

Acanous
well, it might absorb them into itself...
but that'd propably-
HEY! i know how this fight's gonna end allofa sudden!
ellen and nanase are gonna dive into the goo, seeing as how they're allready in, and look for the demon seed!-er, nuclei....
while greg distracts the goo!.

showler
The goo seems to like fire for death-dealing.

alebann
Lord only knows what the goo is made of. The "inner goo" may be very nasty indeed. I'm not sure if the goo is homogenous, but it would make sense for there to be an extra layer around the nucleus that makes "diving in" a deadly proposition.

(Can you tell my Dad is a science teacher with words like Endothermic and homogenous in my posts?)

Acanous
or maybir the goop is just a bunch of cafeteria food strung together with ooze... wait, that's even DEADLIER!

Major Kerina
Plus the goo might be able to just push them back out before they get to the center.....how many licks does it take to get to the center of a goo monster?

Sylvandil
Plus the goo might be able to just push them back out before they get to the center.....how many licks does it get to the center of a goo monster?

the world doesn't want to know

WEKM
.....how many licks does it take to get to the center of a goo monster?

EEEEEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeewwwwwwwwwwwwwww!

Remind me to NEVER have you provide refreshments for the party.

Major Kerina
Hmmmm....I wondered why this punch I made was so thick and green.....

Thom Khatt
Hmmmm... Nanase & Ellen goo wrestling...

The mind boggles...

(Anxiously awaiting the hammers...)

Seriously, though. We already know Greg has an abillity which would be extremely useful against the Goo: His chi-powered force field (remember how he "defeated" Jeremy...?)

I'm also awaiting Greg's eventual entering into th e fray.

Meow!

Major Kerina
Maybe it's time almost time for Greg's eventual 'tentacle'....from Anime reference....

Acanous
or not, as we'll never see him again due to him buried 60 ft in the ground...
(he's standing next to the hammer queen, remember)

TrueKaiser
Originally posted by DarkShive

...wow. yipes. *erhem* um... yeah... capslock... yeah, um... hey, is that a demonic duck of some sort? ((runs away))

were is that demonic duck?

Major Kerina
It's more like Eeyore Duck ^_^....personality-wise....poor duck...doesn't get any respect.....

khald0n
Originally posted by General Specific
hey dan, I think your hair started to glow yellow for a second there.
j/k, I don't watch or read enough anime/manga to try and associate your stuff with anyone else's. I can see how it might get a little frustrating having your work indirectly called derivative.

I heard a while ago that EVERY work is derivative, and successful literature is just combining stuff in an interesting way. I forgot who said that--maybe it was Joseph Campell (the real genius behind Star Wars).

I'm thinking that having a piece of writing that is 'derivative' should be a complement since it demonstrates the writer's ability for analogy and synthesis of ideas in a 'novel' way. Then again, I'm pretty tired now, so I'm not sure how logical my thoughts are now.

Major Kerina
The novelty is in the effective execution of the work and the characters in most works of fiction where their themes have been explored before...at least that's how I feel about literature....

spc mango
...eventual tentacle?

um, eww?

Sarevock
Originally posted by pvtmango
...eventual tentacle?

um, eww?

hehe tentacle.... GO GO GO...

*hammer hits sare on the head*

X_X