: Arrrgh!! slow forum again...

Chrysicat
Last time this happened, someone gave a hint to improve it that involved opening some obscure file, entering some new filepath, and saving the info...what exactly was that trick?
I ask because I do not enjoy waiting close to a minute for every new page of posts, no matter how few or how many pages are in the thread...

showler
Depends if something in particular is blocking the loading. Last time it was the address "propaganda.threeboy.com". If thats it again what you need to do is find your HOSTS file (possibly in C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc), open it in a text editor and add the line "127.0.0.1 propaganda.threeboy.com" at the bottom. That's a tab in the middle not spaces. Basically it tells your browser that when it gets a request for the address propaganda.threeboy.com it should look for it on your local computer instead of looking for it over the net. It finds nothing and continues to load the rest of the page without the delay of waiting for p.t.com to respond.

Major Kerina
You could also change the display settings too, say 10 posts instead of 40 or whatever the default is. It makes them load faster

Acanous
or you could go to your local Net Planet and get a better computer.

Snowflake
Plus... large amounts of active threads (used to) slow these down. Is that still possible after the moves?

Acanous
maybie if some threads were deleted...
hmm, it would seem that I don't actually start many threads.
oh well.

showler
Last time the cause of the slowdown (for me at least) was that propaganda.threeboy.com wasn't loading. The browser would wait for a response from p.t.c before continuuing to load the rest of the page, so decreasing the listing size or getting a better computer wouldn't help. The trick I mentioned above ignores p.t.c. entirely and continues to load the page without the waiting period.

Lord Vader
You mean it was only slow for all of you today? I couldn't get on at all until a few minutes ago. And it was really slow yesterday too, but at least I was able to get on then...

Acanous
it was fine for me all week.

Fluffy-Phil
I find that logging out after every post and then browsing as a guest increases my chances of getting somewhere when it starts to lag. But it's also annoying, and isn't 100% guarenteed, it just works better than staying logged in. :ermm: