: Star Trek Poll

CRS2117
What is your personal favorite? Mine happens to be TNG for Q, Data and Picard (Is it just me or is a yorkshirian actor pretending to be a French Captain hilarious? Is it even more striking that he does a really good job of it?)

Acanous
you mean that patric stuart was NOT french????
whoa... I thought he had SOME french background... but Q does it. that and TNG is what I grew up with. I'm a card carrying trekker, you know. I actively have a card that says so. gets me a discount on Star Trek stuff. got it in 1992.
anyhoo, this brings to mind a thingy that happened on the bus yesterday... I was seated next to a goth, and we got into a discussion about D&D. Don't ask how. I was saying how I normally RP star wars. she was like "You're a Trekkie?" and of course my Knee-jerk reaction to someone saying this while discussing star wars is a startled look and a WHAAAAA?
apperently, this made it seem that I was not a trekker, tho the card was currently in my pocket. odd that.

Fetch
I like them all, but DS9 is my fave.

I am a member of Starfleet International (http://www.sfi.org) It is the largest ST fanorg on the planet.

Acanous, are you a member of SFI, or perhaps one of the other big ST fanorgs?

Major Kerina
I second DS9. Voyager left me so unfulfilled despite some really great episodes. Enterprise I can't really get into. The Original is hard to see now, feels so dated. TNG is getting that way but it still has some fun times. DS9 is just to compelling after a while. It deals with all the stuff that good sci-fi should. :)

Acanous
No, I'm not, I don't think, but somewhere in there should be a file called Acanous... I could even give you the password. tho I've never seen it. Creepy, no?
anyhow, I'm a trekker without a click, if you know what I mean. I have access to ST stuff, but mainly only buy the books, which are really just great fanfic. heh, that Klingon Dictionary came in handy a couple times... wish i could FIND it again...

Major Kerina
Handy for what? Do you have to plaicate Klingons on a regular basis?

Acanous
no, but when you're on a bus, and there are people speaking a different language behind you (which i find rude, but undertandable, it just depends on WHY they're doing it, I might get into that later) and you and your good buddy start speaking in Klingon about how school sucks, and they stop for a minute, trying to place what the FRELL you are speaking, it's worth the $25 book.

CappyPolaron
My personal favorite? Why, the Firestorm, of course. ;) Granted, it's more a "collabrative fanfic," using a different ship and characters, with 4.5 years of continuous writing (about 2050 posts on a Yahoo!Group, to be precise) and such, but I have to say it. ;)

Of the official ones, I'd have to go DS9, though. The characters on DS9 were much more dynamic then TNG, VOY, and TOS.

Matt_Katt
THREEE CHEERS FOR DATA THE ANDROIDE

Vinny Mc Cool
Meh, I'm more of a star Wars fan, but TNG i can live with. The others make me want to kill people. Lots of people.

Pest
DS9 all the way.

You've gotta love the massive battles of the Dominion War. *drools just thinking about it*

Ryvaken Tal`Draco
Voyager was interesting but nothing beats TNG.

And nothing sucked harder than DS9.

CappyPolaron
Originally posted by Ryvaken Tal`Draco
And nothing sucked harder than DS9.

Enterprise is getting there. :/

This entire "war" thing they're doing for Season 3 of Enterprise is because Enterprise hasn't had the ratings DS9 or Voyager had.

Ryvaken Tal`Draco
I have to agree, Enterprise is indeed getting there. The one thing that saves it is that they actually limit their technology. That's my biggest problem with Star Trek, Scotty / Jordei / whoever can spend five minutes pushing buttons and defuse a fool-proof boobytrap that has worked flawlessly for centuries.

Lioconvoy
TNG was my favorite, Data, Giden(sp?), Picard, Q, Barkly, Laforge(sp?). They where all great characters.

Your a Droid and I'm a niod.

CappyPolaron
Originally posted by Lioconvoy
TNG was my favorite, Data, Giden(sp?), Picard, Q, Barkly, Laforge(sp?). They where all great characters.

Your a Droid and I'm a niod.

Guinan
Reginald Barclay
Geordi La Forge

Lioconvoy
Sorry.

Major Kerina
Sheesh, that is geekish....

CP - Troy's mom WalksAnna is gonna boot your butt for semantics and Pikcard will frown with Rycker :p

It's ok Lio. ^_^

CRS2117
Guinan, I forgot all about Whoopee, she was a really good part of TNG, that and Picard are the reasons I watched it.

Im not so interested in the scifi aspect of it (although it does help) but TNG in my opinion is like what a good soap opera should be, not just "Oh my gawd your sleeping with your mom in law's daughter?"

Enterprise pisses me off, it's as respectful to the Star Trek universe as the Dune games made by westwood are to the Dune universe.

Anyone know the difference between Trekker and Trekkie? The only one Iv'e heard is

Trekker: A Trekker wonders what sex might be like in zero gravity.
Trekkie: A Trekkie wonders what sex might be like.

CappyPolaron
Originally posted by Major Kerina
Sheesh, that is geekish....

CP - Troy's mom WalksAnna is gonna boot your butt for semantics and Pikcard will frown with Rycker :p

It's ok Lio. ^_^

Ack! Not Lwaxanna Troi! *finishes gluing Firestorm back together and flies away*

Lioconvoy
Heh heh that put him is place.

71-hour Ahmed
DS9 all the way. Its the only trek in which the characters didn't bugger off after buggering up. They were stuck there and they had to fix previous mistakes later on. Plus the killing of many things was good.
And the breen.

Whoever invented enterprise should be tied to a chair watching all of the episodes of the Teletubbies, with a full copy of the "El Goonish Shive 2001 to 2020 Collection" next to them, but stapled to the wall just out of arms reach, along with the remote.

CappyPolaron
Originally posted by 71-hour Ahmed
DS9 all the way. Its the only trek in which the characters didn't bugger off after buggering up. They were stuck there and they had to fix previous mistakes later on. Plus the killing of many things was good.
And the breen.

Whoever invented enterprise should be tied to a chair watching all of the episodes of the Teletubbies, with a full copy of the "El Goonish Shive 2001 to 2020 Collection" next to them, but stapled to the wall just out of arms reach, along with the remote.

What's to say that Berman and Bragga haven't already watched all the episodes of Teletubbies? :P

Fetch
Originally posted by CappyPolaron
Enterprise is getting there. :/

This entire "war" thing they're doing for Season 3 of Enterprise is because Enterprise hasn't had the ratings DS9 or Voyager had.

Basic rule for Star Trek (except TOS): Season 2 will always be bad. After that, it's all uphill.

Heck, this rule applies to almost every sci-fi show made after 1985.

Major Kerina
That's what I need, a time machine so I can pick up the Complete EGS sets from 2020....

But then would I create the patented Star Trek Temporal Paradox (trademarked) if I gave them to Dan?

CappyPolaron
That's what I need, a time machine so I can pick up the Complete EGS sets from 2020....

But then would I create the patented Star Trek Temporal Paradox (trademarked) if I gave them to Dan?

Compared to anything Voyager's done, that wouldn't be anything major. Be like Scotty introducing Transparent Aluminum to the manufacturer in the 1980s...

Ryvaken Tal`Draco
But he might have been the guy that invented the stuff.

Major Kerina
Well, he was, thanks to Scotty.

CRS2117
Yeah but it's like the paradox of Lister in Red dwarf, He's his own father.

Which means Kocanski is his mum, which means... OH NO THAT'S WRONG!

Acanous
Anyhoo, someone inquired the difference between trekker and trekkie. A trekkie is a fan who watches on sundays, talks about it at school, and plays the video games. A trekker is someone who will go out there, buy the communicator, interpret the geekyness into thier daily lives, live by "We come in peace, shoot to kill" goes to conventions dressed as worf or geordi, or Gowron, or generic supporting cast #5, and picks fights with LoTR fans.

CRS2117
Hmm, you describe Trekker as a bad thing.

CappyPolaron
Originally posted by Acanous
Anyhoo, someone inquired the difference between trekker and trekkie. A trekkie is a fan who watches on sundays, talks about it at school, and plays the video games. A trekker is someone who will go out there, buy the communicator, interpret the geekyness into thier daily lives, live by "We come in peace, shoot to kill" goes to conventions dressed as worf or geordi, or Gowron, or generic supporting cast #5, and picks fights with LoTR fans.

Hey! I resembl--erm, resent that!

I go dressed as Captain Stephen Polaron of the USS Firestorm, of course. ;)

Major Kerina
Actually the second one only sounds bad if you take it that way. It could easily read "Uber-dedicated".

Acanous
the second one sounded bad??
oops.

Major Kerina
My point exactly. Cosplay is ok in Anime...how come it's so maligned in sci-fi?

Acanous
no clue.. I want a Klingon costume, but they're 'spencive. if I had that kind of money I'd donate. and NOT owe money.

Major Kerina
I want a Bajoran one. Along with the little nose thingie.

Acanous
like... Major Kira Nareese?

Major Kerina
I don't remember the outfit. That was Bajoran para-military though, right?

The Bajorans just have the most interesting clothes and those ear-lace dealies are nifty too.

Acanous
padawan tassles kinda remind me of them..

CappyPolaron
Major (and later Colonel) Kira Nerys

(yes, the geek side of me hates seeing the names misspelled)

Major Kira Nerys, "Emissary" (DS9 Season 1 Opener) (http://www.startrek.com/library/media_DS9.asp?id=108969)

Colonel Kira Nerys, "What You Leave Behind" (DS9 Season 7 Finale) (http://www.startrek.com/library/media_DS9.asp?id=108999)

(also gives an idea how much Bajoran militia uniforms have changed in 7 years. :P)

71-hour Ahmed
I preferred the Cardassians. Vicious perhaps, but at least they didn't whine a lot like the Bajorans did in the early DS9. My fav. star trek TNG episodes were the ones where Picard was held prisoner by the cardassians. They made an effort to make the Cardies seem realistic and have a motivation to fight and behave that way, not just generic enemy no 45.

Its a shame that stuff didn't port over more into the Cardassians in DS9 in fact...

Captain: at least (please don't tell me otherwise) you have never sat down and measured the number of pixels a ship travels in a certain time and extrapolated a speed and size for that ship from it...

CappyPolaron
Captain: at least (please don't tell me otherwise) you have never sat down and measured the number of pixels a ship travels in a certain time and extrapolated a speed and size for that ship from it...

Not quite.

In one issue of the Star Trek: The Magazine, they included a size comparison chart for all known Starfleet vessels. So I scanned that in, measured the number of pixels, and used the existing information we knew about the ships named Enterprise to extrapolate the dimensions of the lesser-known Starfleet ships, such as the Steamrunner-class (which is the class that the Firestorm is)

But no speed measurements; warp velocities don't follow the laws of physics anyway.

Acanous
nope. and the Galaxy class is by far my favorite.

CRS2117
I prefer the cube, galaxy class always looked wrong to me.

71-hour Ahmed
the warp nacelles were practically held on by paper. First target anyone but a TNG villian would go for.

Pest
I know what you mean, and it seems like all the warp nacelles on every Starfleet vessel are like that.

Hmmm.... were should we put one of the most essential parts of the ship?
How about on skinny little pylons that could be blasted off in one shot?
Thats a GREAT idea!

CappyPolaron
Steamrunners and Defiants don't have that weakness. ;) The nacelles are connected directly to the hull; a process which wasn't practical beforehand due to the radiation released by the nacelles.

Now, granted, the subpartical deflector is suspended below the nacelles by two struts connected to the back of the nacelles, so we'd lose the deflector, and have to rely on other means to prevent micrometeor collisions...

71-hour Ahmed
but the Klingons managed with them in the ship no probs and so did many others, and its not as if they didn't get a look at Klingon ships (i.e. the films etc)...that excuse wasn't well thought out.

Fetch
but the Klingons managed with them in the ship no probs and so did many others, and its not as if they didn't get a look at Klingon ships (i.e. the films etc)...that excuse wasn't well thought out.

Ahmed, the Klingon vessels have their nacells away from the main body of the ship, EXCEPT for the Klingon Bird of Prey. That vessel's nacells are in the back of the ship. BUT, the majority of the crew is in the front of the ship.

It wasn't until the 2360s that Starfleet developed a way to shield the nacells sufficently so they could be in the main hull.

Oh, and for the record, I like the Avenger class (such as the vessel Kahn took over in ST2)

CappyPolaron
Originally posted by Fetch
Oh, and for the record, I like the Avenger class (such as the vessel Kahn took over in ST2)

Khan took over the USS Reliant, which is a Miranda class.
http://www.ussmiranda.com/ships/miranda2.htm

CRS2117
Why doesn't the text show up? It looks rather similr to the steamrunner class, but with longer warp drive unit.

CappyPolaron
I wouldn't know why they don't have the statistical information for Miranda; I don't maintain that site. Just one of the sites I use for resources.

The one for Steamrunner has text
http://www.ussmiranda.com/ships/steamrunner.htm

although, they changed the image on the page recently, so it doesn't look quite right now. :/

CRS2117
yay cool! Always nice to see info about various ships.

Acanous
Very keen, that. only ten decks, tho? that IS pretty small.

CappyPolaron
Number of decks is debatable, some say 10, some say 9. I ended up going with 9, based on calculations using both the Intrepid and Galaxy classes as a basis as to height vs number of decks.

It's roughly between the sizes of the Defiant (from DS9, which has 4 decks) and Intrepid (Voyager, which has 15 decks) classes

Major Kerina
Here's something...how many classes can you name?

And is there a place with sketches of all of them, btw?

CappyPolaron
Let's see... without looking anything up... (and naming a few of the better known ships of the major classes)

Constitution (Enterprise 1701, 1701A), 2 variants
Excelsior (Excelsior, Enterprise B), 2 variants
Ambassador (Enterprise C)
Galaxy (Enterprise D)
Sovereign (Enterprise E)
Intrepid (Voyager)
Defiant (Defiant, Sao Paulo)
NX (Enterprise NX01)

Miranda (Reliant), a few variants
Oberth (Grissom)
Constellation (Stargazer)
Nebula

Danube (runabouts)

Akira
Steamrunner
Norway

So 16 different [canon] classes I know off the top of my head. I know there's at least one more CGI ship that's alongside Akira, Steamrunner, and Norway (the "First Contact" ships), but that's the major ship classes listed there that I can remember. Plus a few kit-bash ships from "Best of Both Worlds" that we saw post-Borg annihilation, but those were never given official names.

Edit: Post-lookup appendum ;)

I had forgotten Promethius, which is one I usually know, and Saber was the class from First Contact I was forgetting.

As for a site: Pedro's Shiporama @ http://www.shiporama.org

Major Kerina
Ooooo...pretty. Thanks for the site. Looks cool.

EDIT - Odd that they don't have the Intrepid-class on that site...

CRS2117
Yeah I sometimes wondered if that was intentional.

CappyPolaron
Ooooo...pretty. Thanks for the site. Looks cool.

EDIT - Odd that they don't have the Intrepid-class on that site...

Never noticed that. It is odd...

Site hasn't been updated much, granted... not in the past 3 years I believe. A site I used for Steamrunner pics a long, long time ago, when the Firestorm was first starting up.

Fetch
Miranda, Reliant, Soyuz, Triumph

All variants of the Avenger Class
Info is on the official blueprints of the Avenger Class.
You should be able to find it online or at any good sci-fi con.

CappyPolaron
Originally posted by Fetch
Miranda, Reliant, Soyuz, Triumph

All variants of the Avenger Class
Info is on the official blueprints of the Avenger Class.
You should be able to find it online or at any good sci-fi con.

I've found only one such reference.

I'll note that, under "Ships" in the startrek.com site, there is no mention of Avenger-class starships, but Miranda-class is listed.

Now, Star Trek's not known for its consistancy; so the basic design could have been called Avenger-class at one point backstage before being renamed to Miranda-class.

Pest
Centaur and Nova

Zephir
I can't vote. I like anything Trek (Yes, even ST5:TFF >_>;;; ), so none of the options apply to me. Sorry.

vae
I know about Star Trek (hell, I don't live under a rock) but I have never, ever, seen an episode or a movie or anything related to Star Trek. I guess it isn't really popular in France, or maybe it's just me. Only thing I know about Star Trek is that there is a Cpt Kirk and that he is a Vulcan.

Zephir
I know about Star Trek (hell, I don't live under a rock) but I have never, ever, seen an episode or a movie or anything related to Star Trek. I guess it isn't really popular in France, or maybe it's just me. Only thing I know about Star Trek is that there is a Cpt Kirk and that he is a Vulcan.

Captain Kirk? A Vulcan? o____o That would be Spock you're thinking about, and he's Kirk's first officer.

Dr_Moreau
I know about Star Trek (hell, I don't live under a rock) but I have never, ever, seen an episode or a movie or anything related to Star Trek.

You're not alone, vae. I mean, I know about Star Trek too, the difference being that I have actually *seen* a couple of episodes and a few movies, but to tell you the truth I could never really get interested enough in them. However, I am trying to give it another shot by watching any episode that I catch on TV, but I still don't think I'll ever fully understand all those ST inside jokes that Dan puts into his comics...
*sigh*

vae
Captain Kirk? A Vulcan? o____o That would be Spock you're thinking about, and he's Kirk's first officer.

Sheesh, stupid me, yes it was Spock, now you see how much I know about Star Trek lol!

Way to look stupid ^_^

T'Jin
:O_O:Kirk insulted... anger rising

Major Kerina
One of the big-oversights of Enterprise was using a trendy song instead of a symphony because it doesn't fit with the style. The look of the intro is nifty but again, it has too much of the gray "modern" starship style.

*gets cross-eyed from moving text*
Ok, I'm done

CRS2117
Oh I like it, I can do a melodramatic air guitar to it.

Woodtopian
Blimey! Ye're nuthin but a righ' lot of trekkie b**tards!

heh, STAR WARS was always better.:talkhand:

Kuro-chan
I've found only one such reference.

I'll note that, under "Ships" in the startrek.com site, there is no mention of Avenger-class starships, but Miranda-class is listed.

Now, Star Trek's not known for its consistancy; so the basic design could have been called Avenger-class at one point backstage before being renamed to Miranda-class.

The info. I have is that it's been named the "Miranda-class" since day 1, based on the name of a character from a shakespeare play. The Reliant is a starship name, not a class. There are two variants to the Miranda-class, as shown on TNG and DS9, plus the Soyuz class, which was built to serve as a stationary attack platform.

I notice you use the Steamrunner-class as your avatar. I have always preferred the Akira-class the most, but I like Steamrunner too. I have never liked the look of the Sabre or Norway class.

Kuro-chan
Let's see... without looking anything up... (and naming a few of the better known ships of the major classes)

Constitution (Enterprise 1701, 1701A, Yorktown), 2 variants
Excelsior (Excelsior, Enterprise B, Lakota), 2 variants
Ambassador (Enterprise C, Excalibur)
Galaxy (Enterprise D, Yamato, Odyssey)
Sovereign (Enterprise E)
Intrepid (Voyager)
Defiant (Defiant, Sao Paulo, Valiant)
NX (Enterprise NX01)

Miranda (Reliant, Saratoga-2 kinds), a few variants
Oberth (Grissom)
Constellation (Stargazer)
Nebula (Phoenix)

Danube (Runabouts)

Akira
Steamrunner
Norway

So 16 different [canon] classes I know off the top of my head. I know there's at least one more CGI ship that's alongside Akira, Steamrunner, and Norway (the "First Contact" ships), but that's the major ship classes listed there that I can remember. Plus a few kit-bash ships from "Best of Both Worlds" that we saw post-Borg annihilation, but those were never given official names.

Edit: Post-lookup appendum ;)

I had forgotten Prometheus, which is one I usually know, and Sabre was the class from First Contact I was forgetting.

As for a site: Pedro's Shiporama @ http://www.shiporama.org

As for ones you are missing:

Peregrene-Class Tactical Fighters (2 variants)
Centaur-class (A cross between a miranda and an excelsior :P)
Daedeluas-Class (Before constitution model)
Nova-Class Science Vessel. (Oberth Replacement. This one carries torpedos!)
Venture-Class Scouts (ST9:INS)
Yeager-Class (Was shown a few times in DS9 episodes)

Prometheus was a one-of-a-kind vessel, since future models were not shown...
Also, bear in mind the class of the starship is based on the name of the prototype, so the Defiant-class is based of the prototype, USS Defiant.

Oh, and Cappy Polaron, My Akira can whip your Steamrunner anyday. :p

CappyPolaron

And yet, there are dozens upon dozens of Star Trek RPGs set aboard Prometheus-class starships. Often with cloaking devices, transwarp/slipstream drives, transphasic torpedoes, and deployable ablative armor "shells". Who cares that the ship could destroy any challenge it comes across without trouble...[mumbles]...

Such would never happen, as both ships are on the same side. So unless one of the ships were stolen by, say, the Orion Syndicate, and turned against the Federation, there would never be a true battle between an Akira and a Steamrunner.

Now, if you excuse me, I have a fear of purple-haired Starfleet officers, so I'm running away in terror from your avatar now.

"AAAAAHHHHHH!!!"

T'Jin

If it wasnt for me, you wouldnt have ever remembered that

Kuro-chan
I already knew of the Daedulus-model, silly. It was the model before that I was not familiar with.

Anyway, Lieutenant. What do make of our opponent?

Telperion
Seeing as there are a fair number of Star Trek fans checking out this thread, I believe it's time for a shameless plug by me.

[shameless plug]
The Starfleet Strategic Strike Force (http://www.starfleet-ssf.com/) is a e-mail rpg based heavily on Star Trek. It takes place in the year 2376 not long after the end of the Dominion War in DS9. Basically you create a character who is placed in one of the SIMs (ships in the fleet) and you write about events occuring in the SIM (ship) as your character percieves them (in their point-of-view, if you will). These writings (logs) can either focus on your character's personal life or work life. If you are at all interested in this because of what I just said, keep in mind: there are rules to the game to prevent god-modding, there is a minimum posting requirement (4 per month), and there is a chain of command that doles out punishment and rewards as it sees fit, never unjustly I might add. Also, it is not run by me if you somehow got that idea, I'm just a lowly member.
[/shameless plug]

Anywho, I have to say I like TNG and DS9 pretty much equally, with VOY next in line, followed by TOS, and ENT is over there on that grouping of jagged rocks beneath a cliff. If you ask me, I say they've pretty much run out of decent original ideas for episode storylines.

CappyPolaron
Seeing as there are a fair number of Star Trek fans checking out this thread, I believe it's time for a shameless plug by me.

A fair number of which are Star Trek PBEM players as well. A lot more then I had anticipated.

I've heard of Starfleet Strategic Strike Force before; but for the like of me I can't remember where. I'm on a Yahoo! discussion group with other Star Trek PBEM GMs, but I've already verified that wasn't where I heard of SF SSF. Eh, well...

Out of curiousity, for those involved with PBEMs: What sort of post format do you use? The Firestorm uses a 3rd-person limited prose format, as in standard short-story writing. I've heard of others using a pure script format, and others that have rules prohibiting players from writing the speech for other characters.

Major Kerina
*impressed by the knowledge being shown around and avatar artwork* :)

Acanous
OOOOOO... Star Trek info.. OK, time to set you ALL up the bomb: Who can tell me the class name of the NCC1701-G?
yes, work actually happened on the theoretical "G" enterprise, and the information can be found... but who knows it off the top of thier heads? come on...
Ah, also, I've always wondered why Q never created a duplicate enterprise, to pull a fast one and test Picard. it would have been quite nifty, methinks, especially with his sence of humour...
*End of the episode, the bridge crew looks out at the Enterprise, the camera pans to the other bridge, where the REAL crew(Who were searching for Picard) look out upon another Enterprise, which moves past them, the designation hitting the right camera angle for a full two seconds: NCC-1701-Q
it could have been great...

CappyPolaron
OOOOOO... Star Trek info.. OK, time to set you ALL up the bomb: Who can tell me the class name of the NCC1701-G?
yes, work actually happened on the theoretical "G" enterprise, and the information can be found... but who knows it off the top of thier heads? come on...

The "E" was originally supposed to be Nova class, before they destroyed the "D" and officially made the "E" Sovereign class in First Contact.

The technological improvements that would have occurred between the "E" and the "G"'s time... well, we had a peek at such during Voyager's finale.

Edit: And no, never heard or read of the "G" outside PBEMs set in the 2450s, which used fan-created ship designs.

Acanous
Rlly? hmm... Thought it'd be a little easier to find than that... The G design was hinted at by Roddenberry before his death. it was his origional vision for the enterprise, where the crew diddn't do much of anything, exept lounge around and tell the ship what to do. the ship was capable of committing random acts of phenominal cosmic power... this idea was abandoned, as it would not gain an audiance, and people would rather see people facing challenges rather than steamroll over them..

CRS2117
Althought some scifi seris have been able to deal with that, star trek would not work.

Can anyone confirm the rumours I heard that Wesley Crusher will get to command his own ship and launch a new seris? I'm hoping he'll start off in a steamrunner or akira class ship and be promoted into a sovergien or prometheus class.

And why does every star trek have to be from the Federations standpoint? I want to see a romulan seris or a borg one...

The borg one wouldn't be interesting from a battle sense, although dealing with new uniqunesses in assimilated specis.

Acanous
...because you're catering to a (Mostly) human audiance...
the Federation is not just human, tho, but it IS the only large scale power in which humans participate in on a frequent basis. I'd like to see a Klingon one, myself, done IN klingon, with subtitles (KEEN!!!), but it propably won't happen.

CappyPolaron
Well, the producers are focusing on Enterprise, so there's no series in the works that would have Wesley as the captain, yet.

Kuro-chan
Information I have suggested it was a race between Enterprise and Excelsior. Frankly, I don't care how old George Takei is, Excelsior should have been done. They could not possibly do any worse than the current sipnoff has done.

CappyPolaron
In other Enterprise news (http://www.trektoday.com/news/010803_01.shtml):

UPN promos for Enterprise's fall launch on September 10 show a new logo with the words "Star Trek" appearing above the series title for the first time.

CRS2117
Good! Show some respect for using words like "photon torpedo"

I never understood the torp though. What is it besides an animatter charge and a guidance system? (oh and a rocket to make it go that way)

So why is it called a photon torpedo? I read about an semiconducting clear substance that when a current was put through it light could be slowed down. So I tought to myself the potential is there to stop light and then build up immense photon energy reserves, and have a true photon torpedo.

terribleRobbo
So why is it called a photon torpedo?

Well... It always looked like it was matter and anti-matter chucked out together, or something... The actual 'Torpedo' part (eg. the casing) first appeared (I think) in ST 3, in the Torpedo Bay (shown for the first time, or the like).

I think.

Maybe.

Major Kerina
Why? Do they think we don't know it's part of Star Trek? Or that maybe we're trying to forget it is...
Kidding, although it is very dissapointing something.

Acanous
well, I keep expecting Al to show up and be like "Sam, SAM! what have you gotten yourself into?"
and captain archer to look into the viewsreen (Which shoudn't be there, dangit!) and say "Ooooh boy..."
yeah. He did such a great job in Quantum Leap that it typecast him as sam for all eternity in my mind...

Dr_Moreau
:lol:

CRS2117
That would make Enterprise really cool if they put the guy who played Doctor Yueh (Dune) in a cameo for it. He'd be sort of like Q.

Yeah! A predessessor to Q (Although none have been mentioned), all he'd need is a white suit and a half finished cigar and his flasy calculator for that total plagarist look!

CappyPolaron
Why? Do they think we don't know it's part of Star Trek? Or that maybe we're trying to forget it is...
Kidding, although it is very dissapointing something.

They were trying to appeal to a younger crowd... What that had to do with removing "Star Trek" from the title, I don't know, but that was part of the reasoning behind that.

And we can see how far that got them. ;)

terribleRobbo
...the viewscreen (Which shoudn't be there, dangit!)...

Please clarify. :D

I have no idea what you're talking about. :-S

changer_of_ways

Peregrene-Class Tactical Fighters (2 variants)
Centaur-class (A cross between a miranda and an excelsior :P)
Nova-Class Science Vessel. (Oberth Replacement. This one carries torpedos!)
Venture-Class Scouts (ST9:INS)
Yeager-Class (Was shown a few times in DS9 episodes)

Also, bear in mind the class of the starship is based on the name of the prototype, so the Defiant-class is based of the prototype, USS Defiant.

eherm...

Wells Class - The Timeship Relativity from Voyager
?Federation Science Vessel? - The Raven, Seven's parent's ship
Challenger Class - The Buran, lost at Wolf 359. Used vertically stacked nacelles.
Cheyenne Class - The Ahwahnee, also lost at wolf 359. 4 Nacelles.
Olympic Class - Dr. Crusher's ship from TNG finale.
Sabre / Saber Class - Scout ships, similar shape to galor class, nacelles on wing tips.

my 'lil contribution... not showing off or anything...

Kuro-chan
Hey CappyPolaron! My thunder Bird is defending a cargo ship from Breen fighters. Once we take care of them, I want to go after their Commnd ship. Wanna come help me?

Reference: Kawaii-Neko Club / Science Fiction / ST: Thunder Bird

Darkness Surrounds
Just a couple of things I wanted to say after reading the last four and a half pages:

-I liked DS9 and Voyager just as much as I did TOS and TNG, which is quite a lot. DS9 seemed to have a... B5 feeling to it though. Not bad, it just seemed to have a lot of similarities with B5 (other than the whole spacestation placement). Never really got into Enterprise.

-The (second) reason the nacelles were always sticking out and up or down from the hull was (supposedly) a certain pecentage of each nacelle needed to be in direct line-of-sight with the other to maintain a stable warp feild, and that percentage had been rather hard to work around until breakthroughs like the Defiant.

One thing I can't quite remember though; was the Defiant designed and built at DS9, designed somewhere else and built at DS9, or designed and built somewhere else and brought to DS9 to help with defense? It's a question that's been bugging me for a while now.

KungFuHamster
After reading this article (http://go.fark.com/cgi/fark/go.pl?IDLink=621195&location=http://www.foxnews.com.edgesuite.net/story/0,2933,94895,00.html), I though to myself:

Holy zombie Jesus on a pogo stick! This is getting ridiculous! Is there any way to save this multi-billion dollar franchise from becoming a mockery and a cariacature of itself? Why yes, as a matter of fact, there is!

1. Fire Braga and Berman. They've been dragging Trek down since they took over.
2. Put Shatner in charge. He's the only one that cares enough about the franchise and what it means. Patrick Stewart would've been my second choice, but he's already left.
3. Shoot Braga and Berman. About six rounds to the head ought to do nicely. Each.
4. Leave the whole "new life, new civilizations" idea behind. Maybe in a few years you can come back to it, but right now it's dead in the water.
5. Burn Braga and Berman's corpses. Make sure we can't clone or revive them later on to further screw with things.
6. Try to come up with original ideas, like maybe a series revolving around Starfleet Academy, or Starfleet Command.
7. No more cheesy aliens in funny costumes. We get the point already!

Then maybe, JUST MAYBE, the franchise can get some new life to it instead of dying the horrid, nasty death it appears to be suffering through.

Just wanted to get that off my chest.

And BTW, DS9 r0xX0r3d! :)

CappyPolaron
One thing I can't quite remember though; was the Defiant designed and built at DS9, designed somewhere else and built at DS9, or designed and built somewhere else and brought to DS9 to help with defense? It's a question that's been bugging me for a while now.

Commander Sisko assisted with designing and testing the Defiant-class prototype (NX-47205) while he was stationed at the Utopia Planitia fleetyards. It was brought to DS9 at Sisko's request to aid in the defense of the station after the discovery of the Jem'Hadar.

CRS2117
6. Try to come up with original ideas, like maybe a series revolving around Starfleet Academy, or Starfleet Command.

Which is why I want Star Trek: Romulan Warbird; A seris based around the crew of the (insert cool Romulan name here) Warbird class (do they have specific names?) as they try to undermine the overpowering federation and work against the Tal'Shiar (possibly, a plot where both the Tal Shiar and section 31 are brought into the limelight would be interesting).

A borg based star trek would be difficult to make interesting as each epidsode would be mostly the cube flying round, using it's holding beam and assimilating stuff.

KungFuHamster
Which is why I want Star Trek: Romulan Warbird; A seris based around the crew of the (insert cool Romulan name here) Warbird class (do they have specific names?) as they try to undermine the overpowering federation and work against the Tal'Shiar (possibly, a plot where both the Tal Shiar and section 31 are brought into the limelight would be interesting).

A borg based star trek would be difficult to make interesting as each epidsode would be mostly the cube flying round, using it's holding beam and assimilating stuff.

While the Romulan idea does have merit and originality, I don't think it'd catch on that well. The audience would have a hard time empathizing with the charachters. And without that, it'd be doomed from the start.

CappyPolaron

Interesting idea, but as was stated, it'd be hard to write it in such a way that viewers can connect with the characters. There'd have to be at least 1 human in the crew.

Since Nemesis saw the makings of a potential peace treaty between the Federation and the Romulan Star Empire, possibly a show that has a few Starfleet Officers posted on the said D'deridex-class Warbird (the big green one that was introduced in TNG with the split-hull design. Really, the only commonly known class of Romulan vessel beyond the short-lived Scimitar class) as part of an officer exchange program.

Or the same on a Klingon K'Vort Bird-of-Prey or Vor'Cha Battle Cruiser.

Kuro-chan
Well, of course everyone wants to be friends with the federation? After all, they are everyone's best frend, right? :p

I would have liked to see something along the lines of

"One ship. One crew. One episode"

Then each episode, you bring up another ship, crew and mission, and so on, possibly bringing back a few ships and seeing how they are doing along the way. This would give the series some serious variety, and may help to bring some people back to Star Trek, knowing it has more to do with than simply the U.S.S. Enterprise.

Hell, I would love to see an episode or two done with my starship, the U.S.S. thunder Bird. My crew are misfits, I have an expendable security officer, the doctor likes to experiment on crew members, my janitor is obsessed with cleaning (literally), some of my crew likes to sit back and munch on popcorn while we bravely risk our lives to save someone, and I have more weapons officers and experts than I know what to do with, plus we all serve on the most heavily-armed class in Starfleet. Tell me how this is NOT a dangerous, yet possibly amusing situation. :p

CRS2117
While the Romulan idea does have merit and originality, I don't think it'd catch on that well. The audience would have a hard time empathizing with the charachters. And without that, it'd be doomed from the start.

To hell with sympathy! Great drama does not mould into the hands of auidences but instead makes them conform into it because they want to.

An example I can think of is opera patrons. Some people will go there because they genuinly like the music but half or so will go to look "cool".

It's the same with the royal ascot horsetrials, what is it with the women in that thing where they try to outcompete each other with expensive and stupid and ugly hats?

And as for needing a token human crew in a show so people can sympathise, this isint true. Romulans are loosely based upon the roman empire and everyone can associate with pioneering empire builders from a threat of a (supirior?) federation which could be the germannic barbarians in comparision.

And as they look fairly human just to give them some human emotions should make all the sympathy the auidence needs.

I like the borg, I really do. But I realise most people don't because they are really alien. However Romulans are fairly human.

Give us (me!) Romulans!

changer_of_ways
Im not sure that the romulan thing would work too well. Though as I suggested to Kuro, before I read her post, the one ship per episode [or groups of episodes] would be a good idea. Star Trek: Chronicles perhaps?

alebann
Star trek is expensive enough without having to tweak ship design and produce entirely new CGI every episode or two. I know there are sci-fi anthology shows out there, but not every episode gets big budget effects.
From a creative standpoint, I love the idea. It makes more sense than having one ship encounter all the exciting adventures in the quadrant. But from a cost perspective it's prohibitive.

changer_of_ways
quiet you

CRS2117
No accountant made any memoriable piece of work, except for the producers, except Gene Wilder in that was a FICTIONAL accountant.

alebann
You forget Bob Newhart, CRS, who was an accountant before becoming one of the best stand-ups ever. That and he starred in two of the 50 greatest sitcoms of all time according to TV guide.
I realize your point, that fine art like Star Trek should not be restricted by the bottom line. However, that type of thing never happens, and if we're brainstorming Star trek series, we might as well make them plausible.
That, and I like to crush other people's dreams. mmm, satisfying.

CappyPolaron
Well, one of the popular ideas in the Firestorm's group has been a Star Trek series based on... the Firestorm.

Telepathic cats, antimatter slugs from an alternate universe, alien mind control devices, killer cybernetic asteroids with pet robotic spiders, Dyson Spheres hiding in subspace... (and that was just the first year. :P)

Not to mention the wide array of fan-created species that have populated the Firestorm over the past 4½ years. :P

changer_of_ways
You forget Bob Newhart, CRS, who was an accountant before becoming one of the best stand-ups ever. That and he starred in two of the 50 greatest sitcoms of all time according to TV guide.
I realize your point, that fine art like Star Trek should not be restricted by the bottom line. However, that type of thing never happens, and if we're brainstorming Star trek series, we might as well make them plausible.
That, and I like to crush other people's dreams. mmm, satisfying.
It wouldn't be too hard, 1 ship per episode is a bit unrealistic, but one ship for 6-7 episodes wouldn't be too dificult. Recycling sets for example, altering voyager's sets slightly to make another intrepid class ship. They probably still have the prometheus set knocking around, they could use it for another chunk of episodes, then convert it back into the excelsior set and have either a few episodes aboard THE excelsior or another excelsior class, either movie era or tng era. Plus they could probably put the defiant's and the enterprise-d/e sets back together easily.

patchwork cat
You could have some renegade Borg with a ship, and a Ferengi they couldn't assimilate but forced to do engineering and oh...make up a pliot someone????
I voted DS9 (that Bajoran 'sailing' spaceship!) but I DO enjoy Enterprise some, very suprising I thought it would be rubbish with the casting (coughquantumleapcrapcough).

Darkness Surrounds
What exactly makes Quantum Leap and Scott Bakula crap? The show was a very original idea, and was implemented fairly well, with what I consider a good portrayal of the role he was presented with.

Anyways, back on topic, Enterprise isn't BAD, I just found it really hard to get into, as the only real thing that the episodes had that made me want to come back for more was Jolene Blalock, and for me, watching shows is more than just wanting to see hot women in catsuits. Nothing wrong with it, but it's gotta have something else to keep my attention, like, say, originality and innovation. Everything being done on Enterprise has been done by one of the other four Star Trek TV series, albeit in a different time frame.

I personnally WOULD watch a series set on a klingon ship, with the actors speaking klingon, and subtitles at the bottom of the screen for most if not all episode long, all series long. They've never done an all-out full-fledged effort on doing anything but the Feds. It's time for a change of pace, and a change of scenarios. Also, I second the motion to rid us of Berman and his ilk, saying nothing of the Viacom executives. It's as if they're TRYING to run Star Trek into the ground.

Major Kerina
If Farscape is any indication. They probably strike the sets shortly after they're done with them and even when they do save them it's probably just to sell them to fan.

CappyPolaron
If Farscape is any indication. They probably strike the sets shortly after they're done with them and even when they do save them it's probably just to sell them to fan.

The "modern" Star Trek sets are broken down as soon as the series is over, if not sooner. (The original set was left mostly intact, although it suffered from the elements and rodents and the like)

Kuro-chan
Star trek is expensive enough without having to tweak ship design and produce entirely new CGI every episode or two. I know there are sci-fi anthology shows out there, but not every episode gets big budget effects.
From a creative standpoint, I love the idea. It makes more sense than having one ship encounter all the exciting adventures in the quadrant. But from a cost perspective it's prohibitive.

It wouldn't be too hard, 1 ship per episode is a bit unrealistic, but one ship for 6-7 episodes wouldn't be too dificult. Recycling sets for example, altering voyager's sets slightly to make another intrepid class ship. They probably still have the prometheus set knocking around, they could use it for another chunk of episodes, then convert it back into the excelsior set and have either a few episodes aboard THE excelsior or another excelsior class, either movie era or tng era. Plus they could probably put the defiant's and the enterprise-d/e sets back together easily.

The idea I was thinking of was to star a number of different starships, and also give opportunities for them to interact evem during the series. One episode may be about one ship, then you switch over to another ship and what happens to them. Perhaps, during some episodes, some starships may team up or work together to work on a common goal.

Acanous
heh, CGI and bluescreen technology could greatly assist with that... tho it would be a tad harder for the actors. Making a different set for each bridge would be expencive and difficult. But hey, doesn't Majel Roddenberry have like, a vast fortune usable to pull something extravegant like that?
they DO need someone who understands the frigging timeline of Star Trek to keep the universe intact for the next one, tho.
I mean, this seems to be the new age of crap that messes with the way things are done... Enterprise, 8th edition, FFT advance... anyway, yeah...

CappyPolaron
heh, CGI and bluescreen technology could greatly assist with that... tho it would be a tad harder for the actors. Making a different set for each bridge would be expencive and difficult. But hey, doesn't Majel Roddenberry have like, a vast fortune usable to pull something extravegant like that?
they DO need someone who understands the frigging timeline of Star Trek to keep the universe intact for the next one, tho.
I mean, this seems to be the new age of crap that messes with the way things are done... Enterprise, 8th edition, FFT advance... anyway, yeah...

Majel Roddenberry has her own TV shows to produce, currently it's "Gene Roddenberry's Andromeda." As big of a Star Trek geek I am, I'm enjoying Andromeda more then Enterprise. :P Even without some of the key Star Trek dogmas, Andromeda has more of a Trek feel to it then Enterprise does.

Kuro-chan
It should have been Excelsior... :(

Zephir
DS9 was gritty, to the point, intelligent, and very nicely done. I think it's probably the finest of all the Trek series, but I don't really hold one above any other as far as favorites go. They've all got their little ups and downs...TNG has Q (BRILLIANT acting by deLancie! :love: ), DS9 has...a lot...TOS has the Big Three (Kirk, McCoy, Spock), Voyager had a simple feel to it, and Enterprise...never saw too much of it, but I don't hate it outright. :ermm: