: El GoonishShive Video game?

Vash The Stampede12
I've heard rumors about an el goonishshive video game.:confused:
I really hope that they make it, because it would kick ass. An RPG about el goonishshive, *sigh*, we can only hope and wait.

Snowflake
"They"? You mean Dan right? ;)

Dan was doing some work on an RPG a while back, but it's never been a priority. I COULD love to see it though. :)

CRS2117
There is a Grace Tic-Tac-Toe for download at the Yahoo Group.

An EGS Point & Cloick would be nice, but you need voice actors.

Deathscythe13x
Voice actors would be cool, but the game would be cool without them anyway.

Emoore
Originally posted by CRS2117
An EGS Point & Cloick would be nice, but you need voice actors.

"Point and click?" You mean like those Lucas-Arts games? Yeah, that would be really cool.

DarkShive
Once I'm done with finals, one of the many EGS-related ways I plan to celebrate is to use my Grace Sprites to make a 2D platform game. Should I successfully make it, it won't be a very complex game, but it should be fun and it will have Grace so boo-yakka-hoo-ray-doh. Assuming it's under 3 megs, I'll be able to make it available by abusing Yahoo Groups with a new group just for the game (for which I feel no guilt due to them almost always making me retype my password when I was already logged in).

Dacheran
Just no voice-actors please. Voice actors = bad.

Originally posted by CRS2117
There is a Grace Tic-Tac-Toe for download at the Yahoo Group.

Could you perhaps post the link here? that sounds interesting

Major Kerina
Who ever said voice actors?
It's just a simple game.
What do you have against voice actors? Did one pop your balloon when you were a kid?

Dacheran
Well... when you give someone who normally speaks in text a voice you could ruin it for a good many people. There will always be those that say, "That is so cool to actually HEAR them talk!" But then theres also a lot of people who imagine the voice as something totally different as it turns out, and it ruins it for them. (happened to me many times...)

Major Kerina
I enjoy hearing more. Especially in video games. I can't stand older videogames that have only have text. Drives me absolutely nuts...

Dacheran
I dunno... what about things like Final Fantasy 6, or 7, or Tactics, or the Breath of Fire games, and stuff like that? I prefer text myself... Meh. Diversity is a good thing after all.

Major Kerina
I never could finish any of those games. That its text just bugs me that much...

Dr_Moreau
Originally posted by Dacheran
Well... when you give someone who normally speaks in text a voice you could ruin it for a good many people. There will always be those that say, "That is so cool to actually HEAR them talk!" But then theres also a lot of people who imagine the voice as something totally different as it turns out, and it ruins it for them. (happened to me many times...)
I know exactly what you mean. It's sort of a personal preference thing, but like when you read books (or webcomics for that matter), you usually attribute a certain voice to each character. It's kinda hard to describe, but eventually, after you read enough with those voices, they become familliar to you. However, if the voice actors didn't sound the same way (which it's pretty hard to do), then it kinda takes away from the whole experience...

Though it would be cool if Dan did all the voice acting...

Snowflake
Originally posted by Dacheran

If its selected by Dan, well its how he envisions it, which is -the- way so... no reason to complain there. :)

Snowflake
Text only is annoying in modern games with high production values, but I'm from the generation where there WAS no voice in games. Hardly any NES games had voice. What's the problem with text anyway, I mean is it that hard to read? :P

Major Kerina
But wouldn't the Grace-voice be a real strain on Dan's vocal cords? Just hire Tara Stong....I always imagine Grace with her voice anyway...or some neat neat Japanese voice with text...maybe...Nanase Aikawa? ;)

Ijuin
Well, I have some programming skill, so if Dan is willing to provide the art and story/script for an adventure-type game, then I am willing to program it. :D

So do I, but I would still want to know more about that TicTacToe game

71-hour Ahmed
I could probably send it to you by email if you want. I have a uni email account so its no problem (and I finally have room on my profile again, bye bye old course work)

up to you mr 127.0.0.2.

Wilowah
You can download it- if you join the Yahoo! Group...

Vash The Stampede12
Hiya, I'm back, and I think voice actors would shatter my view of the charectors. I have my own view on their voices, and if i didn't hear it just the right way, I'd be pissed. And DarkShive, what we want is a good platformer with a Grace that can morph into forms.

O yea, and it has to hav Jeremy, the creature nature never intended

Ryvaken Tal`Draco
The chances of it being platform based are somewhere in the zero percentile, I think. Which, in my very not humble opinion, is a very good thing indeed.

*sniff* I can smell the PS2 and NGC gamers hunting me...must run away...

Major Kerina
Demanding newbies...don't you know "Nanase & Ellen" the unofficial sequel to Fear Effect 2 will be out soon?

Yeah...check Gamestop...

*Wonders how many really will..:-D...and how many will get the reference*

spc mango
Originally posted by Major Kerina
Who ever said voice actors?
It's just a simple game.
What do you have against voice actors? Did one pop your balloon when you were a kid?

stupid voice actors...

*cry*

Acanous
*Has Scarface stuck in his head*
CUUUUUURSE YOOOOU BRIIIIIAAAAN!
anyhow, voice acting *COULD* be cool, but unless there's really a point to it... I'd just be as well with sound effects, script and music. music that isn't De-do-dode-dode-do-de-do-do...
stupid brian making me listen to scarface for an hour...

terribleRobbo
Voice actors ruined Userfriendly and KODT for me.

Bluddy voice actors *grumblemumblecursedamericanaccentsandwrongsoundingcharacternessgrumble*

They just tend to sound... Wrong.

Lord Vader
Yeh, I personally prefer to imagine how the characters sound myself. Voice acting might work in some comics like Home Star Runner but I just don't think it would fit in here, especially since the comic has already come so far without voice acting, and been a huge success.

As for voice acting in video games, I don't really care either was as long as the voices aren't annoying to listen to. I thought Star Fox Adventures was gona be a cool game until I heard the voices in that thing, it was just too grating on my ears to listen to. Then again, it may have been the total lack of good dialogue in that game that made me stop playing it, I don't know which was worse.

Ketsuban
Neu voice actors, neu... >< Dave from Bob and George gave Forte a British accent... >< NEU I say! Ran should have had a Russian accent! NEU!

So, um... Tic-Tac-Toe. Sweet. *goes to download*

Kairie
Sorry for being off-topic but the kitten is irresistable.

Umm... Kitten... crunchy... juicy... kitten..........

Dr_Moreau
BAD KAIRIE! NO! We do not gnaw on our kit-ty. No...no, put Mini Mr. Bigglesworth down...

Haha couldn't resist the power of the quotes...

Ryvaken Tal`Draco
You realize we have to kill you now, right?

Dr_Moreau
Uh, allright....
But make it quick, eh? Satan is expecting me.
:flaming:

Thunder_Wolf
How about the object of this platform game is to "Locate and hug Tedd"? If Jeremy is going to be in it, how about he be an obstacle where you have to feed him for him to move? and then you get to Tedd? In other words, have Jeremy a "door" of sorts? How about that?

In case you didn't interpret this, you have to find the food on the level before you can feed jeremy, and maybe a can opener on higher lvls :)

Ryvaken Tal`Draco
Mmmm Tedd...

Pest
You are talking about the female Tedd, right Ryv?

Ryvaken Tal`Draco
Mmm...fresh llama...

Major Kerina
I second both those comments :)

Pest
Ummm *waves hand in front of Ryvs face* You dont want Llama... these are not the droids your looking for

Major Kerina
But Llama jerky is so tasty...especially with black pepper....:(

DarkBahamut
no no no not jerky fresh llama loins or llama chops drenched in a-1 sauce mmmmmmmm llama chops

Major Kerina
Or maybe Dragon chops...mmmm

Konton
I like the idea of trying find Tedd and hug him, after all Grace was going to make one like that.

Doc Hallownight
I want to see... SUPER SMASH GOONS MELEE! That's right, the game that Grace and Ellen play. It should have the characters of EGS and be like SSBM. It's probably not gonna happen, but I can hope.

RPGhawk
:scared: (dear god, please don't let them know hawks taste like chicken) :scared:

Kisai
Originally posted by Emoore
"Point and click?" You mean like those Lucas-Arts games? Yeah, that would be really cool.

I don't see why someone doesn't. ^^; There are game toolkits out there for making this specific type of game, given you need to have some patience to learn the scripting languages.

Visit http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/
That game engine has been used to make re-relases of Kings Quest I and II (uh oh... watch the bunnies disappear for two days now...)

Or if you wanna go retro, you can get an AGI toolkit/engine... you know 16 colors 160x120 resolution, can in theory run on a PC/XT, Mac Classic, Amiga...

Then there are RPG "maker' toolkits which aren't quite as mature (ie, the scripting languages scared the fans away) Verge/Ika/Sphere (highly configurable engines), Don't use "RPG Maker" 95/2000/2003 as they have no legal english version. (and I'm quite sick of seeing RPG Maker sprite rips too.)

Umm... as far as I can tell though, there is no platformer... though I've seen one whipped up in both verge2/Ika and Sphere.

The only platform game source code I've ever seen was to a mario clone and was written in turbo pascal... and I couldn't make heads or tails of it.

Meh... as for artwork, there are plenty of talented people out there who could figure out how to make EGS game artwork.

DarkShive
I've mainly been working on figuring out how to make it so I can make certain things happen in Game Maker, so I don't have what could be called a "game" at this point. I do have sort of a "testing zone" thing that I'm working with, getting Grace to do what I want and what-not. Currently all she really does is move around, jump, run, and throw acorns. The enemy dog doesn't really do much other than bite you if you get close. It's too big to just jump over, so you need to stun it with an acorn to get by. Problem is, once it's no longer stunned, it will spend 3 seconds charging at you, switching direction as necessary. Then it goes back to only being a bother if you bother it. :bunny:

Kisai
IMO... the problem with any kind of toolkit is that they are either too dumbed down to do anything complicated, or too complicated to do anything dumbed down. ^^;

Trust me, I wrote a bunch of game framework in C/C++ and stopped at "well what does the game writer really need" So I pretty much had a very fast image/music player, that could also display unicode text.

At one point in time I had both DDR and Mario-like code in there just to goof around, but the problem really comes down to the game physics. You can't hardcode "Really cool" stuff in if nobody can figure out how to use it (which is the problem with "generic" game makers, one has to assume that the user is only going to want stuff to move around and respond to that, forget fancy stuff.)

I'm trying to keep myself away from game programming, I really scared everyone away from the last (*counts on fingers... 1 2 3 4 *) 4 or so game projects. (or maybe everyone is just lazy.)

If you want a C code game toolkit, look at Allegro, seems the easist for new programmers. SDL is also good, but lacks "game" specific helper code, pretty much just unifies the graphics/sound/input interfaces so you don't have to rewrite a game 4 times for every OS (Windows,linux, MacOS, etc)

*yes I was one bored kitty before getting a boring job... now I'm a bored kitty with not much time to play with stuff*

Major Kerina
Nifty level background ^_^
Good work Dan.

Wilowah
Dan, the first Mario game's programming was similiar... and it was still popular... but of course, there wasn't a wierd comic to support it. :D

DarkShive
I made Grace's sprite by tracing a resized image of her from the "topical references" filler, but I think I'm going to make a new one from scratch. It doesn't really matter if I change it, seeing as what the game actually interacts with is a rectangle, but it'll just be easier to animate and modify her graphics this way.

Mo6eB
Do whatever you can, Dan. But remember this: "Almost all games seem incredibly stupid to the ones, making them." Believe me, That comes from my own expirience.

Kisai
Nyaa...

I found game makers interface clunky, I'm amazed you've reached the point you have. *puzzled and goes back to poking C compiler instead*

*twaps self*
"No, bad Kisai! No C programming for you!"

^^

Thunder_Wolf
Dan, two questions, is the goal to locate and hug Tedd? Also, is Jeremy in it?

another unrelated one, do you like monty python?

Woodtopian
(pitch) You are Cad, an assassin created by dan, your objective is to assassinate the other webcomic authors, you will have weapons of mass hilarity. You must rescue the lost souls that cling to other webcomics and show them the glory of EGS.

CRS2117
Anyone played aliens versus predator?

I was thinking of... oh wait Grace cannot transform into a xenomorph and eating people's skull's counts as violent.

Too bad there isint any easily modifyable 2d beat'em ups. Storywise it'd be incorect for Grace to do an uppercut versus Gen. Shade Tail but I can dream.

Oh boy can I dream, if I was anyone else I'd envy my powers or fantasy.

CRS2117
OH that reminds me!the new one must Fall game should be out by now.