: Sweet! EGS moves up a rank!

Garlisk
For the past week we've been pushing Aikida...and finally bumped up a rank! woot!

GOOOO EGS!

(we're not far behind SOMT now that I look at it, either!)

Garlisk
Comeon bunnies, we're this close to rising to #5! :)

Wilowah
Whoa! It rose 2 ranks under 24 hours! Go Dan! :applause:

Another few hundred, and it'll be fourth- a few hundred after that, 3rd. But then a few thousand after that to get to second... So vote, people!

Vote Here! -> ((removed the link due to the belief that votes through the forum are against the TOS, but thanks anyway)) <- Vote Here!

Ryvaken Tal`Draco
How are we 300 below AMD? AMD is funny, but not THAT funny.

Major Kerina
They drill into people's heads every waking moment to vote? Threaten them with baseball bats if they don't? Well maybe not that excessive but they demand voting.

DarkShive
I think Squidi of a Modest Destiny is anti-vote whoring, based on his response to CTL+ALT+DEL requesting votes.

Trouserpress
I'm a big fan of both A Modest Destiny and Ctrl Alt Del, but I was a bit upset by Absath of CAD's need to plead for votes. In fact, bargaining would be a better word than plead - 'You give me votes, I give you updates' - and I just didn't think it was on. Squidi obviously doesn't need to plead, nor do you Dan *simper*. EGS is just addictive, enthralling, and so very different. CAD is ANOTHER gaming comic. It may well be the best, but a gaming comic it be. I'm not a gamer, and therefore some comics are lost on me, but I love the characters and storylines (when Absath can be bothered with them).
I think a lot of EGS's addiction and originality lies in the character-based nature of much of the humour. The odd plots and weirdy stuff alone don't create the essence of EGS, they merely carry the superbly realised characterisations and intricate, hilarious relationships that really mark EGS as a truly original comic.

Also, out of the three comics I've mentioned, Mr Shive is by far the best artist. I'm an aspiring author, and recently I found myself dreaming of a cover for my tentative first book 'Technicolour Yawns of the Mind' drawn by none other than Dan. Not that that'd ever happen. Literary agents hate short stories. *Whines*

Good heavens! I've been rambling appallingly. Huzzah and hurrah on the non-begged super vote posish!

DarkShive
Is it just one short story or a bunch of short stories? I could see a publisher going for a collection of good short stories...

Pest
Congrats at having the #5 comic on the net Dan.

Dr_Moreau
Hooray for EGS! Hooray for Dan! ...Hooray for ME!
Hey, I voted...I'm proud of myself!

Yep, don't worry Dan, we'll get there...but until then, the public spotlight isn't shining so bright on EGS, so that sets you up for a come-from-behind victory! Maybe not everyone knows about EGS quite yet...but they will...

x-atm092
Congrats Dan, on your 5th position. I'm going to keep voting to keep it there. I even made a commemorative screenshot. I just hope it's small enough to attatch.

So vote, bunnies, vote like the wind!

Note - it's too big to attatch. I'll upload it somewhere else.

Kairie
Does it help when I vote everyday?

Vash The Stampede12
I think we sould tell topwebcomics to repeal the 1 vote/a/day thing. Heck, for the villans poll at egs, i voted for vlad all those times.
O, and i voted vor grace 1043

hehehehehehehe3heh................................................................................................................................

Kairie
Huh? You mean daily votes don`t help?
Damn!
(See sig)

Kairie
I`ll keep voting anyway.

Trouserpress
Originally posted by DarkShive
Is it just one short story or a bunch of short stories? I could see a publisher going for a collection of good short stories...

They don't, honestly. I've contacted loads of literary agents - they're only interested in novels. Short stories don't sell any more, y'see. England especially used to have loads of magazines which were crammed with the buggers, later slapped in anthologies and whatnot. However, those magazines are all dead now, and only successful novellists or general well-known weilders of the pen can really get them published. It is for this reason I am writing a novel... and it's damned well doing my already flimsy brain in.

...whinge over.

Post Script:

Oh, and as to whether or not my stories are 'good'... that's a matter of op. Though I think I can say 'distinctive' with a sense of confidence.

Major Kerina
Yeah, magazines, especially for genre fiction have been dying over the last decade or so unfortunately with only a few survivors left. It makes it exceedingly hard to break in (but I've gotten one rather pleasant reject notice so far)

Kairie
Today, the TWC... tomorrow... the world...
.... <Mr. Burns>Excellent</Mr. Burns.

showler
We need 140 more voters STAT!!!

We've been about 130+ votes behind fourth place for a couple of weeks now.

Major Kerina
I think sitting at fifth is a good place for EGS. It doesn't get so much attention that Dan has to folk over his life savings for bandwith over his limit. But it gets enough that new people come along on a regular basis.

GigaRoc
what number is the number that counts?

Major Kerina
Counts? It's not a race. :p
Wherever it settles I suppose if you mean rank.

GigaRoc
what i ment is what number is the one that determans your rank?

Major Kerina
Actual votes I think.

CnCmaster4life
yeah go EGS 5th but i think we can do better than that

Major Kerina
Oh, btw, the vote resets tonight.

Ixplodestuff8
I did my part for the thingy :bunny:

Dr_Moreau
Hey I vote everyday so don't worry about me! I'm hoping one day I can write this off as a "charitable donation"...^_^

Snowflake
Originally posted by Major Kerina
I think sitting at fifth is a good place for EGS. It doesn't get so much attention that Dan has to folk over his life savings for bandwith over his limit. But it gets enough that new people come along on a regular basis.

You actually want Dan's audience to be limited? You have to remember that its twofold... true more people makes the costs go up, but in turn more people makes EGS more worthwhile looking for ad placements, which therefore pay for the increased traffic, etc. etc.

x-atm092
I've got a link exchange program going with a few friends. They're into games like outwar, where you have to get as many people as possible click on your link so you go up a minion. I have agreed to click on theirs, as long as they click on mine, which is the vote for EGS link. And it's working great so far...

CnCmaster4life
lol nice didn't even think of asking friends to vote. though i should of would of helped

CnCmaster4life
sweet we just knocked kid radd down to 5th and we now placed 4th!!!!!!! but the polls just reseted so EVERYONE VOTE PRONTO,NOW,AGAIN,STAT,MAINTANT(BTW thats french for now)

x-atm092
EGS - 40 votes
Kid Radd - 39 votes

We're in THIRD PLACE!!!
let's vote to keep us there.

GigaRoc
we are in 2ed!

Wilowah
At the time of this post, EGS is 59 while AMD is 58.

Major Kerina
It got up to 2nd
But now back at 3rd.

showler
For posterity:

Dr_Moreau
Dammit we're in 4th now...sonovabitch why the hell is CAD so far ahead?!? Do those guys *ever* sleep?!? Jeebus man...

Wilowah
Why of course they do... but perhaps the gamers that like it don't...

CnCmaster4life
OMG how did we jump from 2nd to 5th>?????? gezz we need ALL bunnies to vote in this if we gonna get back up there

DarkShive
Based on the amount of visits I get each day, I could probably request a bunch of votes and rise high upon yonder charts, but I'd rather people just vote cuz they like the comic and not because I made a request. Sides, a request may result in people cheating in an attempt to help out, which would be bad.

Dr_Moreau
Yeah, I've always felt like EGS was that way...it's whether you like it or not, Dan's not gonna force ya to do anything, but he also ain't gonna give in to bitching and moaning by ungrateful viewers. Power to the people, Dan!

Swarm
I admire that attitude :)

CnCmaster4life
yes, Dan is an honorable guy he accepts failure like a scienctist and works off of it. hmmm think that sounded like a dis or somthing but o well. i accept failure too so i won't change this message oh BTW i vote everyday for EGS cuz it rocks!!!!!

x-atm092
Yup, me too.

Dr_Moreau
Allright, now that I've riled you up...
GO MY EGS COMRADES!!! SPREAD THE WORD! VOTE EARLY, VOTE OFTEN!!!! LONG LIVE MARX---I MEAN EGS!!!
:chinese:

Major Kerina
But cheat by voting more than once a day and Defense Minister Kerina will use the decapitation hammer move on you...

Have a nice day ^_^

MysticM
oh, yes come school time, every computer i run across in my shool of 3000 students (different ips) will be voting for egs, and there's nothing u can do about it Major, ma'am, MWAHAHA. Right now, tho, i vote twice a day anyway (i've got two computers), and again the major, ma'am, can't do nothing about it!!!

Major Kerina
This is not an issue to joke about. Please don't cheat.

CnCmaster4life
yes i got 4 comps but i only vote once a day cuz i'm just that kind of guy..... u know what kind of guy i'm talkin bout..... u know the one like hank hill from king of the hill

showler
Loud and remarkably ignorant of anything outside his own little world? Hank has many fine qualities, but he has just as many bad ones, most of which he has been steadily working through since the series began. Hank is, like all of us, a work in progress.

I have two computers, but only one IP since they share an internet connection.

edit: It has come to my attention that this is twice today that I've unleashed my sarcastic side in the direction of CNCM4L. No offense was intended either time, and I hope none was taken.

Coneldore
Showler, I invite you to be a bit more careful in how you post. That comment could have easily been construed as a flame/attack, and nobody wants that.

Anyhow, Dan, you know me. I vote whenever I can and whatever opportunity I get. I think more people need to read EGS because it opens your mind.

showler
Coneldore, I invite you to read more carefully. That comment was directed toward Hank Hill, who is designed as a very stereotypical Texan "Hillbilly" type character. Or do you get offended on behalf of cartoon characters.

For the record, I know perfectly well what aspects of Hank's personality CNCM4L was referring to, but it didn't suit my purpose to merely agree.

Coneldore
Showler, first of all, don't take that tone with me or I'll report you to a moderator. I respect you, so you better give me the same or you'd be better packing up your bags and moving away from a public forum. I offered advice in the nature of keeping order on the board, and you're acting as if I'm making a personal attack. I'm not. I just don't want a flame war to break out.

Secondly, if you read MY post, I said that what you said could have been construed as an indirect attack rather than an inaccurate observation of Hank Hill (who, despite having a streak of 'hillbilly' ignorance, is an average, honest man trying to bring up a family)

showler
**Reply moved to PM to keep the thread clean**

Coneldore
**Will move it to PM too**

(Don't worry, it'll be polite/civil... I'm not going to be a hypocrite @_@)

CnCmaster4life
ehg i ment the honorable part of him not the texas hillbilly sterotype

Dr_Moreau
*sigh*
Nobody understands us Midwest folk....

MysticM
EGS is now #4!!!!!!

YES, BOOYACA

Dr_Moreau
Hoorizzle mah nizzles! ...*so* not cool...

Yes! EGS is number 4! Don't we get some sort of prize?! I mean, let's see here...
*mumbling to self*
win....place....show....DAMN!

CnCmaster4life
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO i didn't vote yesterday because i woke up at 1PM and went paintballing last night till 11PM and didn't come back home till 1AM!!!!!!!!! ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh oh well its just one vote right????

Erelion
Hmmm...

Normally I don't vote, but I might actually for this one. Eh.

Anyone care to explain the rules? Is it just one vote per day, or one vote per week, or what?

Major Kerina
Per day. It rolls over at midnight.

Ryvaken Tal`Draco
We're 1500 votes behind AMD. Now, AMD is good, but there is no way they are better than EGS. Vote ye scurvy insert-pirate-term-here. Arrr.

Jovan
I used to vote Ctrl+Alt+Del all the time, but I'm about to switch. See, I like that comic and the creator Tim Buckley is a really genuine nice guy, but I just like this one above all else now...

Major Kerina
The monthly vote reset :)

x-atm092
last time I checked, EGS was third. Can anyone confirm that?

DarkShive
last time I checked, EGS was third. Can anyone confirm that?
Yep, and Mall Monkeys is #11! Yay! (sorry, that comic just really bugs me)

Major Kerina
That one really grosses me out. I've only found one comic of theirs ever funny. Everyone I know seems to agree. How on earth does it survive? Cockroach-gene?

Marigold
Nah, I think it survives through pre-teens and teenagers who are going for cheap laughs. It seems 10-15 year-oldish.

Some people just don't have mentality for something as complex as EGS or Modest Destiny...

showler
In the early days of the month, the votes seem to be affected by the comics update schedule, with votes spiking on the days the comics update. Later in the month, things seem to settle into a pattern.

CRS2117
HTe reason mall monkeys does so bad is becaise it is not good (Well argued point eh?)

Cheap laughs can be done well, but I only know of one comic that does it. That and Beavis and Butt-Head.

A finer show for 12 year olds there will never be. although I was 8 then... (Does complicated maths, remebers it is 2003 now).

I was 9.

showler
"No one ever went broke underestimating the taste of the American public."

Substitute "International" for "American" and you've just defined the internet.

CnCmaster4life
Nah, I think it survives through pre-teens and teenagers who are going for cheap laughs. It seems 10-15 year-oldish.

Some people just don't have mentality for something as complex as EGS or Modest Destiny...
i'll take that as in insult.....i'm 14 and i seem to apreciate EGS very well.

DarkShive
Mental age, yo; your appreciation means you must be 43 mentally :bunny: j/k

Acanous
heh, I teeter-todder between the mental ages of 65 and 12... and physically I turned 18 last february...
I wonder what the mean average is?

General Shade Tail
Well, I am 15 (as of a week ago), and I think El Goonish Shive is not only the best webcomic on the Internet, but also quite possibly the greatest invention of mankind. It is all I can do to prevent myself from worshipping Dan as a god...
And yet Ctrl-Alt-Del always takes top spot? How can this be? It is, admittedly, a good comic. I would even go as far as to say that it is a great comic. But in any case, El Goonish Shive is at least twice as good, most likely much more.
A Modest Destiny is, I would say, also a great comic. Not as good as EGS by any means, but better than Ctrl-Alt-Del. Yet it also is relegated to below Ctrl-Alt-Del's standing...
How do Ctrl-Alt-Del do it?? They must be cheating. They couldn't possibly get more votes than what is clearly the best comic on the Internet, or even manage to beat AMD by honest means. We must discover their secret and destroy it!! BWA HA HAH!

Sorry, but I am an evil guy you know...:)

zap
Maybe the fact that Absath asks for votes on his news, as I remember. And people must like easy gaming jokes. So much less sophisticated and less well drawn than this. I dunno :P
EGS>AMD>CAD... not the other way....

BTW about Mall Monkeys, I don't remember very many of those that are funny. What's so funny about one person posing in a bikini while two others look at her and say "Makes you almost forget about the herpes". Nooothing.. irritating...

Zephir
EGS > Ozy and Millie > *

xD

My opinion. :lookaroun

Dr_Moreau
Well, how I always think of it is this: maybe Dan's comic isn't in the top spot, but that doesn't make it any less genius than it already is, and everybody knows it. And by everybody I mean people who know webcomics know EGS. They know that Dan doesn't plead for votes (but sympathy? That's another matter entirely), so they understand why it's not in the top spot. And, as you know, us Americans aren't really that reliable when it comes to voting at all...I mean, just look at our president! No, seriously, look at him. He's running around the White House with a paper bag stuck on his head, bumping into things while the Secret Service tries to tackle him.
*smacks forehead*
Oh god...we're screwed...

Darksun
You know, I like Ctrl+Alt+Del, and Mall Monkeys, too-they're both good for a quick, cheap laugh, and there ain't nothin' wrong with that. But it is simply blasphemous that they are ranked higher than El Goonish Shive-this situation is quickly draining my faith in humanity.

And how sad that this will probably be my last post for about a week. Now I'm off to go camping in West Virginia with my younger brothers (ages 10 & 12), my dad, and his girlfriend (who has apparently never been camping in her life). This should be TONS of fun.

General Shade Tail
I have never really read Mall Monkeys - I just read a few strips, got bored to death, and I can't even remember anything about it any more...

wongman
What do you all think of Queen of Wands? I read though it, but I was kinda bored for... almost all of it...

Marigold
I don't really like "Queen of Wands" a lot. I read through it, but while I like it better than "Mall Monkeys," I won't be reading more of it.

Ryvaken Tal`Draco
An answer to question: Cheesecake.
http://www.queenofwands.net/d/20030609.html (and the one after it)
http://www.queenofwands.net/d/20030707.html

Zephir
I've been voting pretty much every day now lately, but it seems that Queen of Wands is about to overtake even the mighty CAD for top spot...what the heck is with that comic? o_O;

EGS > *

Period.

Major Kerina
What on earth is it about anyway? I got the impression it involved magic or sorceresses from the title but I'm too bored by the outset of the story to pay attention to it. Seriously. It's flash in the pan.

showler
Minor cheat Vote for El Goonish Shive (http://www.topwebcomics.com/vote.php?Action=In&ID=darkshive).

Not really a cheat, but I'm hoping this way I can vote everyday without having to hit Dan up for extra bandwidth costs.