: By George, I think I've got it!

Illjwamh
I think I may have a good idea as to why Nanase was crying. I was hesitant to post it though, as if I am indeed right I feel like I'm giving something away. I know we all speculate, but I also know that I personally hate it when I'm writing a story and someone figures out where I'm going with it and then blabs it to everyone.

Don't get me wrong. I am in no way saying that I'm right or even close to right. Only Dan would know that, and I have a feeling he's not going to tell me either way. It's just that this theory is a little more detailed and thought-out than some of the others I've put forth, or that others have come up with.

Now, suppose we (most of us, anyway) are correct in assuming that Nanase is attracted to Ellen in more ways than just one. Now, suppose that she somehow manages to admit this to not only herself, but to Ellen as well. Ellen, trying to be a good friend but not realizing she's doing more harm than good, 'reassures' Nanase that "It's just the pheromones."

Think about that for a second. There's a person you really like, and you finally work up the courage to tell them so. We've all been in that boat before, I'm sure. Now, this person also happens to be a close friend, so you're worried about possible damage to the existing relationship, but at the same time you're hopeful that your confession will be well-received because you are close friends. Add on top of that that by admitting this attraction you are also admitting something about yourself that you've tried so hard to deny for so long (that you are homosexual). Now picture that you manage to get this all out without breaking down or flinching, and the object of your affection says, not "I feel the same way," or "Wow, I never thought of us like that before," or even the infamous "Let's just be friends," but "Oh, you're not really attracted to me. I'm just irresistable to everyone. Don't even think about that."

That would crush just about anyone, I imagine.

Adama
I agree that that's plausible -- but why is she crying in fairy-form in Ellen's room?

Perhaps she's hiding from something she doesn't want to see back where her body is...

GigaRoc
like ellen and justen

now here something most people have overlooked, there are TWO beers missing from ellen/ellots fridge,
mabey she is ashamed of what she did or thought about doing?

or mabey it's something completely diffrent, like vlad or lord tedd attacked and took them all hostage? and she's in fairy form to warn ellot? it's all just speculation

Wilowah
Where the heck did that theory come from, Giga?

(The Lord Tedd Thing...)

showler
There is actually four beers missing. And currently four people going to Susans.

Man, these guys are cheap drunks.

GigaRoc
well, accualy, i'm a avid reader of Bob and George, have been for years, and that's the kinda thing dave does.

showler, you need to remember three things:
1) they are 17
2) therefore they haven't been doing alot of drinking
3) there are three girls, and because women have a higher body fat content on average then men, they get drunk faster!

Deathscythe13x
Maybe they drink a little and get in an accident and someone gets hurt (knock on wood).

showler
One beer each. American beer at that. Effects from that little alcohol would probably be mostly psychological.

GigaRoc
how do you know it's american beer? did i miss something?
::goes and check back comics::

and they are only down two cans, i looked

Major Kerina
I'm just gotta sit here and chuckle for a while at the spectacle of newbies in speculation heat.

showler
Originally posted by GigaRoc
how do you know it's american beer? did i miss something?
::goes and check back comics::

and they are only down two cans, i looked

Six pack...bought Monday....two left....currently Friday....parents only drink on weekends....where am I going wrong with my counting?

GigaRoc
ic, i missed the To i read "we are down two can's" instead of "we are down to two can's" sorry

Ryvaken Tal`Draco
I think Hedge has something to do with it, or at least has a role to play later.

Illjwamh
Fine, just ignore my brilliant psychoanalysis.:p

Ryvaken Tal`Draco
The analysis works but it's flawed in its normality and its relative independence from the larger storyline. It's possible but EGS tends to have a few more left-turns than that.

Illjwamh
Yes, but Dan's characters are all realistic in terms of their personalities and behavior. He made sure that when he created them he gave them all reasons to be the way they are. It's the essence of a good storyteller. Realistic characters can be read and interpreted just as real people can.

But I don't have a PhD in psychology. I could just be nuts.

showler
El Goonish Shive: More left turns than Nascar.

showler
The problem is that there are several million different reasons why Nanase might be crying alone, and our information is limited.

The choice of the doll could indicate several things, and, if she has created more than one doll, then the choice of that particular doll would seem to have significance too.

We're just too early in the story to be able to make informed guesses at the moment. Right now, we're basically making random guesses.

Ryvaken Tal`Draco
True. But I don't see him persuing this as a storyline without a lot of other things going on to provide the mandatory insanity.

Unless he pulls another "lunchtable revelations" thing. Which I don't see happening in the middle of a multi-part story arc.

Illjwamh
Of course. It's all blind speculation. Well, not completely blind. We do have some ground to go on.

This theory was just a little more thought out than anything else I've ever come up with.

Ryvaken Tal`Draco
The biggest thing in favor of your theory is that it fits Nanase's psyche. Not the maybe-lesbian thing, but the ass-kicking ki-mastering illusion-creating gonna-open-a-can-o-whupass-on-yo-face thing. For her to run away crying means she's faced with something really bad AND something she can't fight. Taint much that falls into them categories.

Illjwamh
Exactly. For accurate speculation you have to take all aspects of both of their personalities into consideration.

Acanous
They were transported to the Alpha dimension VIA a prototype Nuclei hidden in the beer. but just Susan and Nanase. Ellen doesn't have a clue where they are, and thought she was abandoned. Thus her and Justin are currently coming home, Nanase is crying because Susan got hurt in the alpha dimension, and she has to give a Ransom speech in person.

now that, that folks, is pure, unadulterated, garbage. I pulled it from thin air, and boy isn't it funny.
naw, Dan has a better reason.
so stay tuned!

Snowflake
That's a damn good theory in this thread... and would explain the crying... getting the nerve to bare your all, and you aren't rejected or accepted, but just have it brushed off... super painful.

showler
Originally posted by Illjwamh
Exactly. For accurate speculation you have to take all aspects of both of their personalities into consideration.

Equally important, you have to take into account Dan's personality, and his story telling style.

Dr_Moreau
WHOA WHOA WHOA! Wait a second everyone!!!
I think that we're putting the cart before the horse here...
So lets list the facts first, *then* we can reach speculation nirvana:

-Nanase is crying in fairy form alone in Elliot/Ellen's room (six hours later), which leaves her real body totally motionless and expressionless...
-Nanase had been feeling uncomfortable around Ellen ever since they picked her up, and it seems like she really wants to tell her something, but can't...
-She doesn't like the fact that she is being forced to go to Susan's house with the rest of them...
-She is upset with Ellen about something, but she says that "...it's not your (Ellen's) fault"...
-Ellen, who had been playful all evening so far, starts swatting Nanase's ponytail, and makes her laugh. Ellen has her promise that she'll have fun tonight, and Nanase agrees, but says that "...you're only making it worse"...
-Star Trek V sucks.

Ok, *now* we can discuss what we think these truths may mean relevant to the current storyline. This is a proven scientific method that is bound to produce some answers.
Discuss.

GigaRoc
can someone explain why the even and odd star treks are diffrent

Ryvaken Tal`Draco
It's a superstitious thing. Most of the even Treks are good, most of the odd Treks sucked. Or vice-versa, I'm not quite sure. It's like saying how is 13 different than 14? 13 is "unlucky"

Adama
It's not a superstitious thing; movies 1, 3, and 5 are generally regarded as worse than 2, 4, and 6, so people started saying that the odd STs are always bad...

Illjwamh
Originally posted by Dr_Moreau
WHOA WHOA WHOA! Wait a second everyone!!!
I think that we're putting the cart before the horse here...
So lets list the facts first, *then* we can reach speculation nirvana:

-Nanase is crying in fairy form alone in Elliot/Ellen's room (six hours later), which leaves her real body totally motionless and expressionless...
-Nanase had been feeling uncomfortable around Ellen ever since they picked her up, and it seems like she really wants to tell her something, but can't...
-She doesn't like the fact that she is being forced to go to Susan's house with the rest of them...
-She is upset with Ellen about something, but she says that "...it's not your (Ellen's) fault"...
-Ellen, who had been playful all evening so far, starts swatting Nanase's ponytail, and makes her laugh. Ellen has her promise that she'll have fun tonight, and Nanase agrees, but says that "...you're only making it worse"...
-Star Trek V sucks.

Ok, *now* we can discuss what we think these truths may mean relevant to the current storyline. This is a proven scientific method that is bound to produce some answers.
Discuss.
That's what I did, only in my head. Today's comic gives us new information to work with, though. It seems that Nanase has already passed the denial stage and moved on to rationalization. Is acceptance still a long way away? That's what we must speculate.

Ryvaken Tal`Draco
It's that always part that makes it superstitious. Applying a pattern from the specific to the general.

Dr_Moreau
After reading today's comic, it makes me wonder if maybe Nanase finds out something unexpected about her "attraction" to Ellen, like maybe how she *isn't* really the embodiment of FV5? Maybe that's why she's crying?

So......sleepy.........

Major Kerina
I think it might be as straightforward as that...

Illjwamh
Originally posted by Dr_Moreau
After reading today's comic, it makes me wonder if maybe Nanase finds out something unexpected about her "attraction" to Ellen, like maybe how she *isn't* really the embodiment of FV5? Maybe that's why she's crying?

So......sleepy.........
That's the first thought that entered my head when I read today's strip.

I'm gonna sleep on it. Ususally my brightest ideas come to me when I first wake up in the morning. I've solved a lot of hard riddles that way.

Dr_Moreau
And I'll think about it while I'm mowing my yard tomorrow...that's when *I* do most of my thinking because, I mean, what *else* are ya gonna do? I often ponder my existence, psychoanalyze myself, and wonder why the hell the neighbor's dog always has to poop in MY yard! Damn dog...

G'night Illjwamh! G'night All!

:tired: