: Grace-form

Chrysicat
Is anyone else worried that maybe Tedd went a little too far with a Grace form?

I know that it's been clearly mentioned that Claire form, for anyone other than Grace, is just another form that can't modify itself, but might Grace-form be a different story that no one should have played with...?

I mean, the TF gun rewrites (temporarily) genetic coding (if not, males zapped by Female Form beams couldn't get pregnant, which Dan has mentioned is possible). The only problem is that Grace's unique qualities cause any form she takes on to be stored. Obviously, someone hit by a Grace-beam can't transform into any of Grace's previous forms other than the form the beam was programmed for, but...

What happens when they're hit by another TF beam? I mean, Tedd wasn't shot with a Grace-reversal beam, then a Claire beam, he was hit directly with a Claire beam--and the same goes for his TF back into Tedd! Does Tedd, although he's unaware of it, now have the ability to turn into Claire or Human Grace, should he wish to do so? If so, what happens if he accidentally does so in front of his father, or the school, or anyone else?

And if Grace-form does work the way I just put forth, did Tedd do sufficient research to ensure that Grace-power doesn't bond itself to its target even when conferred via TF gun? In other words, do we even know for sure that, assuming I was right about the first part, Tedd will ever revert to baseline Tedd again even after a month's time? And if he doesn't, will he care one way or the other?
(by the way, Dan, feel free to put this in any forum you think it belongs in...)

Ryvaken Tal`Draco
Highly unlikely. The nature of Grace's powers defies genetics, however the nature of the TF gun defies genetics as well. The same is true for most other TF fictions. However, only one knows for sure. I'll go ask.

*sets up altar infront of new minion calendar, burns incense. Waits for hallucenation*

DarkShive
The Grace form only LOOKS like Grace's human form; it doesn't come with any Grace powers.

Major Kerina
I guess that answers that...except for the matter of how many base forms Grace has...the whole thing with Greg when he barged in and such. Toss that around for a bit, dear bunnies.

Ryvaken Tal`Draco
I think the great one said no...oooh the colors...

CnCmaster4life
so what the TF gun really does is just rewrites a person's DNA to look like Grace so if you are to match the two's DNA they would look simaliar but not exactly the same?? oh and BTW Chrysicat's thory of the grace thing couldn't be possible because i remember grace talk about how tedd and her were designing a "skully" form. if he were to make the TF gun turn a person into an exact copy of skully. he would need a copy of the actress's DNA and know the human geome and all the parts of it.

Major Kerina
Her name is Scully. It's think it's too soon to assume how the TF gun works but I'm sure Dan will explain its inner working in due time.

maniac angel
OMG That is a total mind job. That went so totally over my head. I never go into the specs of the comic cos I just figured it's Dan's world and obviously anything can happen.

Snowflake
It doesn't to the DNA... if it did, powers would be included, which they aren't.

Acanous
*Toys around with Lucy Lou setting on a TF gun*
yeah, it's all...what's the word? Platonic? meh. it alters your outward appearance. it stays away from the soul-core, and any ingraned powers therof.

Major Kerina
Originally posted by Snowflake
It doesn't to the DNA... if it did, powers would be included, which they aren't.

At this point we can only guess *shrugs*

CRS2117
I always thought the TF gun projected an illusion of the person and voice and smell and anything else that makes up that person except their personality and mannerisms.

Altering dna is just messy, and should be left alone.

Krieg
The TF gun must be able to change mentality, or else FV5 wouldn't make the subject bisexual.

CRS2117
Nahh, according to my belife (that everyone is bisexual and polarises to one end or the other) the tf must be able to only enhance certain properitys and perceptions, much like an illusion. Ellen was explainng that to Susan saying being FV5 won't make her lesbian if she wasn't before, mearly enhance her sexuality.

Krieg
Wrong. To quote Ellen:

"However, the true reason I can't help you be a lesbian is that the Venus form makes a person bisexual, and it also enhances the original preference."

You can look it up (http://www.elgoonishshive.com/story.php?0376), it you want.

EDIT: Gah. Sorry if it looked like it, but I'm not saying your view on sexuality is wrong, merly the view on the comic.

CRS2117
I'd much rather refer to the way I interpreted it. It suits me better.

Black Edge
Here's my newbish take on it.

Obviously a TF gun cannot work efficiently within DNA or genetics terms-it'd take too long and be generally messy and excruciatingly painful and/or fatal. My theory is that the success or failure of the TF machinery (and other powers) is based within the power of all the characters' minds.

Put simply, it works like this. Tedd builds the gun. Tedd believes it will work. Because Tedd is mentally quite powerful, his belief forces the gun to work without having to pay attention to such petty things as physics or biology. The effect must be permanent to some degree-Tedd's mind must leave its mark in the ability to bypass these phyical laws or alter the laws of physics and biology for the gun itself. Because he intended merely to create a Grace form and not impart her powers, thats how it works, basically because he said so. However, he believes that there is a system to it. That said, he now has to follow the system to keep the gun working properly, because that is how he created it-in a system of its own rules. Ellen, by extension, was created via the gun (indirectly.) That means that she inherited part of its power as a natural extension of her being-doing so is as natural as breathing for her.

This actually explains many aspects of El Goonish Shive. Though ki and such are part of the power of such characters as Elliot, Nanase, and Susan (and even Sarah, see her hammers), the fact remains that their wills are exceptionally strong and that they are responsible to some extent for ensuring the existence of these powers for them. This is especially potent in Sensei Greg. By his sheer belief, the discipline of Anime Martial Arts was born. Now that it exists, it is now a recognized fact and anyone can learn it with some degree of skill, but the system was created by sheer force of mental warpage of reality. By the same token this force makes most to all other character and non-character supernatural powers possible, even though they ignore the laws of science, because their belief has created a 'bypass' of sorts about those laws.

That's just me.

General Shade Tail
Now that's an interesting theory...

CRS2117
Makes sense to me.