: Total Recall

MaRiNe
"loved it"

Discuss,

Major Kerina
So, was it real or not?

I thought it was ok, but the cable versions butcher it.

CRS2117
Oh yeah, especially the alien reactor at the end. Someone should make that intoa UT2004 assult map.

I say somoeone should, just don't look at me. I hate all forms of 3d work.

Major Kerina
What's UT2004?

CRS2117
Unreal tournament 2004. You can get assult maps for UT203 but Ut2004 is supposed to be the offical release and has other nice things.

Major Kerina
D&D game or something?

Snowflake
First-Person multiplayer shooter spinoff of the Unreal games. The first UT still is amazing, UT2003 is just beyond my systems limits though. :/

As for Total Recall, I say it was all a dream. :) Great film though.

Major Kerina
Same boat here with specs probably. Never tried it though. Trigger-finger games on my laptop are bit tough, what with the finger pad and such.

I love how it can go either way though, especially with the tech support guy. Just a whiff of Phillip K. Dick though, I wish someone would do a pure adaptation of one of his works. Blade Runner is pretty close though to capturing his themes.

Acanous
*Cannot believe Kerina did not know what the letters UT stand for*
holy shite... I never thought there was a person alive, even in Uganda, that had not heard of the Unreal engine.... it's used in danm near everything, I heard a rumour that they're now using it in ATM's as well... as for the UT 2004 map for total recall, I seriously don't think anyone has enough time or resources to do that,, at least no hacker... you'd have to be PAID to do THAT.
I liked Total Recall, Arnie was my hero b'fore he sould his soul...

Major Kerina
Well, I've only played Half-Life briefly and Deus Ex on the PS2, when it comes to FPSer and never any online ones. But a map with Total Recall inspiration would be interesting to see.

Cyberbebop
Originally posted by MaRiNe
"loved it"

Discuss,
Does it matter what is real if he is happy. The perceptions of the happy are not concerened over truth or falsehoods of the world of senses. In the words of the wise man ie me "Let the soul of the man who finds peace with himself at rest"
While I am on this point iin The Matrix why do those Zion guys think there so great. When you think about it how many people have they killed in the Matrix. What would happen if they freed all those people at once. Massive confusion and death. What happens to all those people thrust from there happy normal lifes massive wide spread suicides. I hate to admit it but I relate to Cypher "Ignorance is bliss". Best to let the machines use us in a symbiotic relationship they get energy and continues living and we continue living in a pleasant world left with the somewhat free reign of our lifes but sunnier dispossitions.

CRS2117
as for the UT 2004 map for total recall, I seriously don't think anyone has enough time or resources to do that,, at least no hacker... you'd have to be PAID to do THAT.

Money eh? (http://www.unrealtournament2003.com/?downloads). Oh come on, with all the number of mods and mutators and maps and gubbins made for UT I wouldn't call them hackers anymore. The term is mod maker.

Now if they wern't supposed to make additions or modifcations of the game then they would be hackers.

71-hour Ahmed
its not exactly true to life to the Philip K short story, but all his longer works are unadaptable and his short stories too brief I think for making a true to life film.

personally I think he questioned his existence too much. A bit like our resident deep thought engine, Doodler. It makes for a hard to get into read generally, so you spend too little time enjoying and too much time thinking.

its not bad as things go, but I don't think the film expects you to think too deeply about whether any of it is real or not. Its not the Matrix.

CRS2117
With many a special effect.

I still preferred the fight scenes in crouching tiger hidden dragon.

Can't remember much of the film.

doodler
Thank you 71-hour Ahmed!
The day after I saw The Matrix: Reloaded I caught Total Recall on tv. This was durring the week that my Themes in Films class was studying The Matrix and I was watching The Matrix at least once a day at home, so I was in hyper-over-mega-analytical mode.
Heres what I noticed:
-Everytime Arnold (can't remember the character's name) tries to assert his own will he gets brutally attacked, usualy with a kick to the groin
-After the president of the dream-vacation-machine-thingy company tried to get Arnold to take THE RED PILL to make him "wake up" the whole pacing and mood of the movie changes and everything starts going real peachy for Arnold.
-pie
-A bunch of other neat stuff that I can't remember because this was all several month ago

patchwork cat
Yeah nice movie, I love Arnie, he has a subtle sense of humour (dry and wacky as heck) all that mugging etc.. I remember a radio play version of 'We can remember it for you wholesale', you know Total Recall is based on this short story? The pretext in it was totally different and prolly better to my mind, it was the BBC naturally. ;)
After seeing Total Recall for the third time, I figured it was real, something about the end. I hate stuff like that (and Brazil- ech!) because you have to figure it out within the s.o.d.
How many fingers do you reckon the Martians had? :alien:

All-Purpose Guru
It's a semi-OK movie for me; I guess I liked the story (We Can Remember It for You Wholesale) much better.

Philip K. Dick's stuff doesn't seem to translate very well to movies, I guess. I didn't like Blade Runner as much as Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep.

The stories are just so good, I guess I had high expectations.

alebann
I don't know, Minority Report translated very well, IMHO. The story is a tad more complex and intriguing, but not by much.

Major Kerina
Phillip K. Dick's work is very contemplative and creepy. Donnie Darko is closer to his ideas than Blade Runner and Minority Report.

CRS2117
Blade runner just didn't have the time to convey the story. But when you get such large works like taht transferred to film you will loose something in the process.

Saying that, the Dune film didn't suffer that loss. But when you live, eat and sleep spice and water for a week you begin to fill in the gaps of story.

Major Kerina
Feature Film or TV movie?