: Stupid Question

Spacecadet
I realize that this question might have been already asked but I haven't found it mentioned anywhere.

When they were at the video rental store Justin notes that the even numbered Star Trek movies were seperated from the odd numbered ones. For some reason this was important to him. My question is: what exactly is the importance of having them seperated?

And why wasn't Star Trek Generations in the Aisle of Shame? That movie was just plain painful to watch.

Deathscythe13x
I think it was something about only the odd or even ones being good. I forget which.

Illjwamh
I think it was something about only the odd or even ones being good. I forget which.
Yeah. Supposedly the odd ones are bad and the even ones are good. Or is it the other way around? Anyway, it's a Trekkie thing.

Emoore
Yeah. Supposedly the odd ones are bad and the even ones are good. Or is it the other way around? Anyway, it's a Trekkie thing.

I believe it's Odd=Bad and Even=Good. Wrath of Khan was number 2, and that one's generally held to be the best. My roommate last year was a big Trekkie, so... yeah.

Illjwamh
So I was right then?

Woo-hoo! I knew something about Star Trek! :banana:

Uncannymaster
So I was right then?

Woo-hoo! I knew something about Star Trek! :banana:

My understanding of Star Trek is limited to knowing my dad has every single movie that came out, some of the series epsoides and that the Vulcens are basicly 'space elves' with the ability to use a 'mind probe'

why do I hear my hard drive hissing?.....

Benjamin1986
Yes, the odd ones are bad, and the even ones are good.

1: Too long, not enough plot. The whole thing could have been done easily in one episode, and they drove it on for almost two hours (though it seemed like four).
2: Wonderful, not too long and not too short. Plot was well driven and the characters showed lasting emotions. Culminating in Spock's ultimate sacrifice.
3: Plot hole filler. There was just no other method. They needed Spock back, and they needed to set up for film 4 (they needed a cloaking device for #4, and the only way was for them to take over a Klingon cruiser). Thus, we have The Return of Spock.
4: Go back in time, Kirk and hot chick fall in love, Chekov scaring everyone by making them think he's an incompetent Soviet spy. Come back, five minutes of plot holes, get another Enterprise. Good.
5: Best of the original odds, plot driven, and length appropriate, but too confusing at the end. A fair movie, but not really good enough for the Star Trek name.
6: Kligon ambassador quoting Shakespeare, murder mystery, Kirk arrested and imprisoned for murder of said Kligon ambasador, etc, etc, don't want to show the whole movie. A good ending to the original series.
7 (Generations): I'm not sure if he meant that, but I'm on a role here. This is a pretty good movie, but there is a large plot hole that no one could explain to me. Why blow up stars to redirect a moving field when you can just take a shuttlecraft and go there yourself? Destroyed the Enterprise.
8 (First Contact): Wonderful movie. It seems that their best were in the past. The Borg infect the Enterprise while they help Cochran make first contact with the Vulcans. In my opinion, the best of the NG series (though I haven't seen the latest).
9 (Insurrection): Interesting to see the character's reactions to their new surroundings, but they made a big, terrible mistake in giving Picard a new love interest. That, if nothing else, destroyed this movie.
10: Haven't seen it.

So, you can say, in general, that the good ones were even and the odd ones were bad, though there could be some debate around Generations.