: Grace!?

Woodtopian
Grace is voted the most favored, cutest, and most missed if died character of EGS. Why? I look around the boards and the answer must be obvious, and I must be an idiot for missing whatever it is, but I, for whatever reason can't get it straight.:ermm:

When I look at her I see a character sorely in need of an overhaul and a good layer of depth. Because she seems to exist for the sole purpose of being cute and having mysterious siblings. Really. That's about it.

Elliot, Nanase, Ellen, Sarah, Tedd, Justin, Susan, etc. all have genuine emotion, and you constantly see them in emotional situations, where their morality and judgement are brought to the surface as they ineract with others and often extreme circumstances.

However Grace seems to be there so she can be mystified by everyday happenings and hug things. Namely Tedd.

Grace is to Character Depth as Cup a Noodles is to nutrition values.

... ... ... :o I'm probably over-reacting, but when every poll with her name in it is always one-sided i'd love to know why.:Puzzled:

Please, someone tell me why Grace stands on the God-like pedestal over fans as she does.:help:

Is cuteness really that important?

Illjwamh
Of course it is. The cute ones are always the fan favorites. Where have you been?

Incidentally, I smell a fanboy war brewing between the followers of Grace and Nanase. Choose your sides wisely.

Woodtopian
Already Chosen Tedd. Already readying siege weaponry. :devil:

Prince Karo
she has a tail, of course!! and she's so sweet and naive... awwww.... :love:

Telperion
Aside from the cuteness factor, and there's a lot of that, I believe you yourself may have stated the reason she is the fan favorite. The other characters deal with complex emoitional situations and extreme circumstances in their lives. Grace doesn't. She represents that child-like innocence we've all lost (or will lose) in our lives. While the cast (and us normal people) moves into the high-stressed real world of adult life, Grace is the sanctuary for the part of us that never wanted to do that.

Or maybe we're all just plain crazy. I don't know. It's too early in the morning for me.

Marigold
Aside from the cuteness factor, and there's a lot of that, I believe you yourself may have stated the reason she is the fan favorite. The other characters deal with complex emoitional situations and extreme circumstances in their lives. Grace doesn't. She represents that child-like innocence we've all lost (or will lose) in our lives. While the cast (and us normal people) moves into the high-stressed real world of adult life, Grace is the sanctuary for the part of us that never wanted to do that.

Well analyzed. I think that even though that is mostly true, we all remember the end of the "sister" series, where underdog Grace rose up to defeat the Goo that Ellen and Nanase did not defeat (I am well aware that they were distracted). She's innocent and naive, but she's also the most 'powerful' character, though no one could expect that at first.

It's kind of everyone's wish to be innocent, noncaring, and naive, but also to be powerful enough to thwart opponents for any reason.

She's always doing one of the two things everyone wants: to be innocent, sweet, and cute; or being the modest "hero" who doesn't take credit.

GrimDark
When it comes to heroism, I think Nanase was far more heroic in the last plot arc, in admitting who she is and realising she will have to stand up to the wrath of her mother...

Somehow, a big ugly evil slime is no match for the fear one can have of someone who's close to you.

Ellen's the cutest, though. She's naturally cute, Grace is almost over-the-top cute...

Speaking of Grace, where is she in the latest story comics?

Marigold
When it comes to heroism, I think Nanase was far more heroic in the last plot arc, in admitting who she is and realising she will have to stand up to the wrath of her mother...

Somehow, a big ugly evil slime is no match for the fear one can have of someone who's close to you.

Hey, it's known that I'm pro-Nanase. Nanase is the most heroic EGS character, but that's singularly her strong personality.

I'm saying that given how Grace was raised and what Grace was expected to be, she's extraordinary for her set of circumstances, and that's appealing to the general bunny crowd. I'm not denouncing Nanase in any way.

GrimDark
Never said you were, hampster-avatar-weilding-fellow-bunny. ^-^

Marigold
It's OK, Grim, I just have a quick temper, I suppose. No hard feelings on either side? Good. Conflict resolved. ^_^

DarkShive
Grace doesn't lack depth, it's just hard to see it. Painted Black will dig it out, believe me.

Ryvaken Tal`Draco
Of course it is. The cute ones are always the fan favorites. Where have you been?

Incidentally, I smell a fanboy war brewing between the followers of Grace and Nanase. Choose your sides wisely.
We all know who will win. Nanase makes up in cuteness quality what she lacks in quantity.

wongman
I think that Grace has a lot of mystery compared to the characters who aren't villians...

GrimDark
We all know who will win. Nanase makes up in cuteness quality what she lacks in quantity.

Nanase lacks 'quantity'? *Blinks, bemused*

CRS2117
It's funny I thought I replied to this eariler, but Grace is just one of many charaters who hasn't had that much time for developement. But in time (oh wait, Dan did say so) I am sure all character's will get a full fleshing out, including Greg and Demon Duck.

Ketsuban
Why do people like Grace? Easy: We're all closet furry fans.

GrimDark
Who said we're closet ones? ^-^

Ryvaken Tal`Draco
Nanase lacks 'quantity'? *Blinks, bemused*
When it comes to shots that portray her as cute, yes. Yes, she does.

General Shade Tail
The Grace Fanboy Legion will easily defeat the puny Nanase Fans!!! I at least am, however, willing to make a truce with the Ellen Fans, simply because Ellen is my favourite character after Grace...

Ryv's sig says it all really...he has by far the three cutest Nanase pics there...whereas if you look in one of the other threads where the Nanase-Ellen-Grace argument is going on, I have managed to compile a whole list of cute Grace pictures which no-one can deny are the greatest.

The only pictures I fear threaten Grace's greatness are Ellen's Feline Therapy pictures. 'Nuff said.

All hail Grace!!!

Grace wa kawaii desu!
Grace wa kawaii desu!
Grace wa kawaii desu!
Grace wa kawaii desu!
Grace wa kawaii desu!
Grace wa kawaii desu!
Grace wa kawaii desu!
Grace wa kawaii desu!

^_^

Prince Karo
Grace wa kawaii desu!!

(uhh.. what's 'desu' mean?)

General Shade Tail
'desu' is the japanese word for 'to be'. 'wa' signifies the subject of the sentence, and 'kawaii', of course, is 'cute'.

Prince Karo
okay.

GRACE WA KAWAII DESU!!!!!!!

General Shade Tail
Pre-ciesly.

Ryvaken Tal`Draco
Damn, my reply got lost in internet netherlands.

The pics I have are not the cutest, I had to throw away a large number for being too big, too small, and getting one of each look she's had.

Further, Nanase has had cuter scenes than Grace. Grace's larger volume is insufficient to defend against Nanase's superior cuteness.

Slix
hmmm well I think grace has alot of depth, she's been through so much stuff in her life that would traumatize anyone else, she's strong willed when she has to be and the rest of the time she takes a relief from life by shunting everything out of her mind and living life to the fullest. She kinda reminds me of me....As for the naivate SHE WAS RAISED BY LYCANTHROPES!!!!!!!! where the hell is she supposed to learn about "normal" stuff???!!!

ps Ellen is my favorite these days due to the hair batting trick, I've gotta do that the next time I see a girl with a ponytail =)
meow, meow, meow "WHAT ARE YOU DOING!!!" meorow?
hehe that would be priceless.....

oh and I'm definitely not a closet furry freak
I'm open about my new furry fetish...
I just developed it since I started reading this too...I wonder if Dan should get a medal for corrupting the youth?

Prince Karo
Damn, my reply got lost in internet netherlands.

The pics I have are not the cutest, I had to throw away a large number for being too big, too small, and getting one of each look she's had.

Further, Nanase has had cuter scenes than Grace. Grace's larger volume is insufficient to defend against Nanase's superior cuteness.
but Nanase doesn't have a tail! besides, it doesn't matter how cute you think Nanase is, she wouldn't be interested in you cause she's gay...

Ryvaken Tal`Draco
http://www.elgoonishshive.com/story.php?0354
Yeah. No tail. Nope, I don't see a tail.

And if you start going that deep, Grace is too devoted to Tedd to be interested in anyone else.

Prince Karo
but she dosn't have any other furry parts...

General Shade Tail
And Nanase's tail isn't *cute*!!!

*All* of Grace's tails are cute, except maybe her Jeremy tail....

Ryvaken Tal`Draco
http://www.elgoonishshive.com/story.php?0330
Cuteness.

General Shade Tail
Oh come on, that bodysuit is just not attractive. And the tail is *boring*.

Inev
Grace wa kawaii desu!
To paraphrase Kevin: These boards need subtitles.

Fortunately I can stay out of the Grace/Nanase Cuteness Wars. My vote's already down for Sarah.
http://kirorivan.com/sarahsadancingfool.gif[/img]http://kirorivan.com/sarahsadancingfool.gifhttp://kirorivan.com/sarahsadancingfool.gifhttp://kirorivan.com/sarahsadancingfool.gifhttp://kirorivan.com/sarahsadancingfool.gif

Besides, Nanase's far to hot to be labeled "Cute" in [i]my book.

Prince Karo
besides, that's not really Nanase, it's just her avatar...

Ryvaken Tal`Draco
Uh, is this where I point out that Grace is really a squirrel? And the cuteness is apparent in actions as well as looks. Grace looks cute, this is true, but beyond that she is an annoying child. I have delt with too many overly naive people to ever consider such stupidity cute.

Prince Karo
Uh, is this where I point out that Grace is really a squirrel? And the cuteness is apparent in actions as well as looks. Grace looks cute, this is true, but beyond that she is an annoying child. I have delt with too many overly naive people to ever consider such stupidity cute.
I know she's a squirrel! that's why I like her! and she is not annoying!! she's adorable in both looks and actions!!

Ryvaken Tal`Draco
You've never delt with someone like her in real life have you? It gets real old, real fast.

zap
"Grace doesn't lack depth, it's just hard to see it. Painted Black will dig it out, believe me."
Yay, you can't dig out depth if you don't have the character in the story a lot... so yay :D
The whole Grace and Grace?! threads are confusing, i come in here expecting that topic :P

General Shade Tail
That quote of Dan's hereby disproves anything bad you may say about Grace, as just about al you are saying about her is that she lacks any depth other than naïveté... well, in Painted Black we should see her character *developed*, the one thing she *doesn't* have already! So ha!

1 |_4|_|9|-| 1~ j00|)\ ph4<3, 4~71-9|)\4<3 5<|_||\/|!!!

GrimDark
As much as I love Grace (at least when she's not being *overly* naive), I am realy beginning to hate all her, dare I say it... Fanboys. And girls. Yes, we know she's cute, but she's cute in a very traditional way. Big eyes, childish behavior, blah blah.

Nanase is cute in a very different way. She is not childish at all, she's tough, strong-willed yet she's still incredibly cute. He cuteness transcends the typical boundaries of cute which Grace inhabits.

And her tail rules so there.

See the second panel here for why a tail like Nanase's fairy avatar is the best type of tail. ^-^

Ellen being cuter than anyone... (http://www.elgoonishshive.com/story/EG0311NA.gif)

So, it's Ellen, but it's the same type of tail.

And it's possible to be both cute AND hot. O.o'' Personally, I find a bit of cuteness makes a person extra hot. ^-^

General Shade Tail
That tail is efinitely suter on Ellen. It wouldn't suit Nanase at all. And actually, that is a cuter, furrier type of tail than Nanase's...

Benjamin1986
I think we've lost track about the point of this post. The idea was that Grace lacked character depth. Grace hasn't had a storyline dedicated to fleshing out her character because she had close to a hundred episodes just in her introduction, and a lot of that was on fleshing out Tedd. I think she is coming up for a new dedicated storyline, it's not like there are many characters left before you have to cycle around again.

By the way, Grace is cute; Nanase is hot; Ellen is fun; and Susan hates guys. It all depends on taste whether you are driven by eye-candy, passion, humor, or abuse.

General Shade Tail
Dan has *said* that her character will develop in Painted Black, so that's just about resolved! Now can we get back to debating the endless Grace v. Nanase conflict?

mike_the_TOOL
wheee, my first post

I think the biggest problem is how stupidly cute Grace seems to be getting. It's just wrong!:p And to all the Grace fans out there: BAH!
[avoids gaze :Paranoid:]

ps.... we all know that only a single character will emerge from the fanwar :ninja: :

:rock:ELLEN!:rock:

Benjamin1986
Welcome, new bunny. I would offer you a :bunny:, a cookie, or something else, but you insulted Grace, so I'm not.

Anyway, I agree that Grace has been a bit too cute this past week, it detracts from her character and makes her merely eye candy. I mean, she was the focus of 3/5 of the comics this week, and Friday's was the first she had a line (*yawn* doesn't count). I prefer Dan's original way of drawing her myself. The kawaii look just makes her look too young. It was good for effect in the beginning of the TeT storyline, but it doesn't seem right when she's talking normally with others.

Ven
And the grounds will scream for blood while the skies open, and the earth will be covered with layer upon layer of scorching ash, as the three decend upon...

... I guess I shouldn't be abusing my inside knowledge of what will happen, huh?

In any case, Grace = cute. This much has been established. But let us not forget that under her cute exterior beats the heart of a killer waiting to be drawn forth.

And a reminder to all you bunnies out there...

When Grace turns, not even hammers will save you.

*nervous pelvic thrust*

Sh... Shazam.

T_Drake
Does anyone care what this jerk says?

Moving on, while I am a Ellen supporter, I'm going to have to take the Nanase side on the Grace vs. Nanase debate. This is simply because the Nanase side has been better explained than the Grace side, which seems to be comprised mainly of personal attacks and the word cute far too often. Evdently, that's all Grace has going for her.

Hello to the new bunny, and the strange little pirate man.

Ven

*sniff* Why must you hurt my feelings so?

T_Drake
Sorry. You just give me the creeps with your constant thrusting.

Benjamin1986
Why must we take sides? Just embrace them all and hope that you don't get hit with a :hammer: while doing so.

T_Drake
We must take sides because neutrality leads only to destruction in ways far too complex for me to even try to explain, defend, or understand.

General Shade Tail
Grace? Too cute? Kawaiiness can never be a bad thing, dammit!

*murders anyone who says otherwise*

T_Drake
Grace IS too cute. She's frustratingly cute, because you see her and know that there will never be anyone in real life as cute as her.

*narrowly escapes being murdered*

Benjamin1986
Yes, with Grace in the TeT storyline, I can't help but think of Ted as a pedophile (seriously, doesn't she look between 10 and 12?), and that is not a good thing.

By the way, how do you like my new avatar?

Marigold
Sweet avatar, Ben. It's a dragon's head, right?

I don't think that Dan's a pedophile because of Grace, Grace is known to be older than 10 or 12, and youngness does make for more 'kawaii' cuteness. It confuses me why people would want to date Grace, but her cutness is definately present. I like to think of her more as the 'aw, how cute' younger precocious character (though I know she's older). I don't think there's really anything perverse to her existence, just that she's a differnet kind of attractive than the other girls in the strip.

T_Drake
Go Ben! Dragon! WHOOOOO!!!

Sorry. I really like dragons.

Moving on, I think that Grace may be older, but she still acts like she's ten or twelve, which really confuses ME as to why people would want to date her. She needs to get some worldly experience first, and that's something that's best handled alone.

Benjamin1986
She often acts that young, but has been known to be quite mature (http://www.elgoonishshive.com/story.php?0070). She just doesn't feel like acting like that very often.

mike_the_TOOL
Maybe her being mature in that case is merely because she doesnt look like a 10/12 yr old yet (in the picture).ps. nice dragon
anyway, an announcement:

:disappoinSchool term has started again back in the UK.:disappoin :disappoinI really doubt 6th form is any different though:disappoin
..and finally, i leave you with this:
:help::O_O:

Oscmosis
cute = good
cute = young
young + tedd = pedo
pedo = bad
so
tedd = bad
BUT
tedd = good
grace < what she was
what she was = good
what she is = eye candy
eye candy = pr0n
pr0n = good
but
new grace = bad
AND
new grace = bad tedd
but
tedd = good
so
BRING BACK THE OLD GRACE

ps. nanase > grace

pps. WE ALL LOVE YOU NANASE

DarkShive
Tedd's not a pedophile. Grace's squirrel form is, and always has been, short. She has yet to be out of her pajamas in this storyline, which hides her figure. She does NOT have the body of a child, in any form. Tedd's attraction has to do both with Grace's personality, and her ability to transform into a variety of forms.

PS - in case you can't tell, I resent the implication of Tedd being a pedophile.

mike_the_TOOL
Hey look! It's Dan! *all hail*
Oi! Over here! :wave:We don't mind Grace's height, figure, or pyjammas - it's just the weird look she has now, it just doesn't seem right - like that guy said, bring back the old Grace.....*please?*

And....err...GO ELLEN!! :rock:

DarkShive
Hey look! It's Dan! *all hail*
Oi! Over here! :wave:We don't mind Grace's height, figure, or pyjammas - it's just the weird look she has now, it just doesn't seem right - like that guy said, bring back the old Grace.....*please?*What, her eyes? Those are the only things I changed, beyond modifying the ears slightly. They were abnormally large the last comic when seen open, but if your complaints are beyond that, I'm afraid you'll have to deal with it.

The problem will propably solve itself as soon as she switches to anther form.

T_Drake
The problem will propably solve itself as soon as she switches to anther form.

Wait, back up. Grace has an Anther Form! Sweet! Dan, you have to use that in the comic soon! I wanna see Anther Form!

Why did Tedd program a plant into the TF Gun?

Okay, on a serious note, how many forms does Grace have? Evidently she and Tedd have been experimenting with the TF Gun off camera, so I wouldn't put it past her to have all sixteen forms or however many they were that are programed into the TF Gun.

Prince Karo
What, her eyes? Those are the only things I changed, beyond modifying the ears slightly. They were abnormally large the last comic when seen open, but if your complaints are beyond that, I'm afraid you'll have to deal with it.
don't worry Dan, I like the way Grace looks now! ^_^

mike_the_TOOL
What, her eyes? Those are the only things I changed, beyond modifying the ears slightly. They were abnormally large the last comic when seen open, but if your complaints are beyond that, I'm afraid you'll have to deal with it.

Yeah, it was really just the eyes..http://www.webcomic.net/forums/images/smilies/eyepop.gif They kinda bugged me. Apart from that though, the comics great, thanks Dan.

General Shade Tail
don't worry Dan, I like the way Grace looks now!

Ditto. Very much ditto.

J-Kitty
I can see a lot of deepth into her.. it's just not very easty to see becose she's always in sutch a good mood..... acutaly she reminds me of kitsu a lot....to the point of people asking a lot of questions of what kitsu is like I've told them to read EGS and she said she's a lot like a horny grace *snickers*

Major Kerina
*Flattens Ben* Imply anything bad about my Tedd and you will face far worse than that.

ShadowNeko
*can't quite place where the Tedd comment came in*
As a new reader, who read all the comics in two days, I have to say that I do like how Grace looks now better. Than again, I have this feeling I would like Grace no matter how she looked...
Oh yeah, and I can't quite picture a horny Grace. Not quite. Although I think you may of just inspired a fanfic somewhere, but than again, that is not a difficult feat.

Benjamin1986
I said that Grace looked so young I was beginning to subconsciously call him a pedophile. Anyway, as Grace is no longer 3'6" and so little-girl-cutsy eyed that it's scary, I'm fine. Just keep Kerina's :hammer: away from me, that was painful.

patchwork cat
erk.. stupid American dictionary! A pedophile is a foot fetishist. It's spelled paedophile! :twitch:
I reckon Grace is pretty mature. I mean, she's been through a lot, even if a lot of it didn't prepare here for the world Tedd lives in. She is just enjoying being able to relax and have fun.