: who are the best web comics to advertise on?

drewgood
This thread is actually based on another "readers actions" threads....which ended up (as of this writing) with entropykid mentioning Megatokyo and Machall as good sites to place ads on if you want to boost viewership.

i was just wondering what other sites you all recommend? what's going to give me the most bang for my buck and get me a new reader or two (thousand :P)?

i've heard good things about ctrl-alt-del (hey absath)....you guys got any others you would highly recommend?

Glasko
I reccomend going with sites you feel have the audience that would like YOUR comic, that's important. And from personal experiance, don't advertise on sites that have rotations as large as 3000... sure you'll get 10,000 impressions... ZERO clickthroughs. Just a word of advice :). Time for class.

Tokyo Cab Driver
Also take note of the readers of that web comic you are going to advertise in. For example if you have a manga based comic than Megatokyo is a good place to advertise because most people reading it are huge anime and manga fans. Etc. don't blow your cash spending ads on a site that have readers who might not have any interest in the particular genre of your comic.

samfish
Also take note of the readers of that web comic you are going to advertise in. For example if you have a manga based comic than Megatokyo is a good place to advertise because most people reading it are huge anime and manga fans. Etc. don't blow your cash spending ads on a site that have readers who might not have any interest in the particular genre of your comic.

yeah, finding the genre of comic you advertise on is the hardest part if you aren't a gamer, sprite or manga.

heh- trust me on that one...

drewgood
yeah, finding the genre of comic you advertise on is the hardest part if you aren't a gamer, sprite or manga.

heh- trust me on that one...

thanks for all the advice so far guys...with all that said, considering the style and type of my comic strip...any recomendations as to where it might best be placed in an ad??

Zspade
CAD actually got me about 100+ extra hits a day, and that was only after a week of advertising.

I'm now getting about 550 a day as opposed to 400. w00t, and I'm not a gamer comic at all!

entropykid
As mentioned, two things to look for: Most bang for your buck...and
the right demographic. Given PockyBot' smain crowd would be of the gamer, anime/manga, indie comic, and invader zim type crowd...its the sites that attract those kind of readers I advertise on.

I find the most bang for your buck is Megatokyo...I stratgically placed a 2 day ad(that ended up being about 4 days, guess they forgot to take it down, lol)
for $40 during the height of their 'epic' story arc going on. I was getting around 4000-5000 unique visitors during that duration...and once that was over, the Machall and Gunbound banners began, keeping about the same reader ratio.
Do I still get 4000-5000 readers a day 2 weeks later? Of course not, but a good deal stayed. But if a good deal stay, or even just half or slightly under thats good...and heck, least your getting the name out, and they might come back to check in now and then.

I admittedly did 'jump the gun' in webcomic speak...most webcomics would never take out such high publicity ads the first week/second week of the debut of a comic, but I wanted to get the ball going early(and so far its worked) The best 'pimpage' tho is from word of mouth and readers.

Prices...Megatokyo is th ebest deal, $40 for 2 days(minimum), as well as MAchall($15 a day) Sites, I hate to say that are a ripoff...
if a site has less than 20k a day and is asking for an exorberent amount(I wont mention names, but one of them rhymes with banclob) ^_^;;

But yes, look at demographics! That is key. Me tho, I want any potential readers who even might remotely dig PockyBot to know about it, but it takes time...and in the meantime the best thing to do is make the most unique and best webcomic ya can.

rezo
Gunbound

What is this?

ScytheBoy
If worms were a mmorpg, quite a fun game. Not sure where the ad space is though. Did it through a fansite?

Anyway, hands down Megatokyo and Machall are the best places to go. Basically trippled in traffic.

entropykid
If worms were a mmorpg, quite a fun game. Not sure where the ad space is though. Did it through a fansite?

Anyway, hands down Megatokyo and Machall are the best places to go. Basically trippled in traffic.

Naw, it's more like golf, with chibi bots.(I somehow have amassed a lot of readers thru it) But yes, Megatokyo and Machall are the best places to have banner ads(I plan on having more on there soon, due to the success of the first ones) The worst thing is second tier webcomics who overcharge banner pricing.

MaRiNe
If Scott trippled there, thats more than a fuckload.

So basicly go with This (http://www.strippers-corner.com) or of course, briworld, much as me and brian don't see eye to eye, he is still pretty big in webcomics.

I think you could advertise here (http://www.penny-arcade.com) but it'd be outragorusly priced.