: FTP problems...

Dark Laith
Okay, this is bad. Keenspace requires you to upload your files using an FTP program. During summer school, I was able to transfer many of the episodes over to the new server, but not all of them. Now, the school has modified their system, and I can't find the FTP program (or any others) on the computers. And I can't realistically do it from home, since my main computer is funked up and doesn't have Net access (to do it from home, I would have to take the files to school, upload them to the current site, download them to my internet-capable laptop at home (I don't have anything to network the two with), and THEN, after downloading an FTP program for the laptop, upload the files to Keenspace. Which is highly impractical.

So, I'm wondering if anyone has any... alternatives? What I was thinking of was, does a web-based FTP thing (kinda like how there are email programs, but also web-based email) exist?

Xelopheris
ftp://username@ftp.host.com/

Dark Laith
Ummm.... I fail to understand? :Puzzled:

flamingspinach
Simply type in Internet Explorer, ftp://user@ftp.host.com/ where user is your FTP login username, and host.com should be keenspace.com. Then you can use internet explorer like a windows explorer window and drag files into it, etc.

Dark Laith
Oh! Now I see! Thank you! ^_^

EDIT: It's not working... I've tried ftp://zeldacomic@ftp.keenspace.com, ftp://zeldacomic@keenspace.com, and ftp://zeldacomic@zeldacomic.keenspace.com (technically, I think the last one is supposed to be the proper method, but...)... not working... a dialogue that says "An error occured opening that folder on the FTP server. Make sure you have permission to access that folder.

Details:
200 type set to port A
200 PORT command successful
425 unable to build data connection: Connection refused"

Dinglemunch
I've always used SmartFTP. When I had my site on KeenSpace, it seemed to work okay.

Not sure where exactly to find it, but I suspect it's at www.smartftp.com. Oh, and it's free.

Xelopheris
Wait, your school blocked FTP? They would've blocked port 21 (FTP Port).

Dark Laith
I don't know if they blocked any ports or not. All I know is, the program I previously used is no longer on the computers (I think it was WS_FTP). (Also, here's the error dialogue attached.)

Dinglemunch, I can't use that. We're not allowed to install programs on school computers. Otherwise I'd have solved this problem already.

Threeboy
also to add, this isnt' really a general help forum, I'm-a move this topic.

King-of-Storms
If your using a recent Internet Explorer, then try this:

ftp://zeldacomic@zeldacomic.keenspace.com

It should then ask for you to input password and username. But, it's not working for you...

I know keenspace used to point you to a program that you could use, but they've removed it from their site...

Just look for a FTP client, and see if that works.

And, why not just use your Laptop with internet capabilities to upload, and not bring them to school at all? Or, gte a buffer started, and upload the files once a week or so.

flamingspinach
Do you get the error after supplying a password or before?

Dark Laith
And, why not just use your Laptop with internet capabilities to upload, and not bring them to school at all? Or, gte a buffer started, and upload the files once a week or so.
Can't. I make the episodes on one computer that is sort of half-screwed up, and doesn't have internet. And I don't have anything to network the two together, so I can't just transfer the files in between them.

Do you get the error after supplying a password or before?
After.

flamingspinach
Hmm, that makes me think it's not your school (because you wouldn't have even been able to even start "conversing" with the FTP server in order to send the password)... so it must be either Keenspace or Internet Explorer. And Internet Explorer works fine for me on other FTP sites. So I think probably Keenspace doesn't like Internet Explorer's FTP feature... maybe Keenspace wants SSL encryption? I don't know if the IE FTP has that... you might try some of these web FTPs:

Web2FTP (http://www.web2ftp.com/)
Web2FTP Mirror (http://www2ftp.de/)
Marzie's WebFTP Client (http://www.marzie.com/webtools/webftp/login.asp)
WEBFTP Service (http://webftp.host.sk/)
Samair WebFTP Client (http://www.samair.ru/cgi/ftp/ftp.cgi)

I know WS_FTP has an SSL feature so maybe you were using SSL without knowing it... I don't know much about Keenspace though. Hope that works for ya.

Dark Laith
FUCK YES! That second to last one, WEBFTP service, worked. THANK YOU!! ^_^

EDIT: *sigh* more problems... WEBFTP Service won't 'respond' when I try to upload stuff: I just get the 'this page cannot be displayed' page. I get that same page if I try to log in to the first two, and Marzie's webFTP client doesn't show any files or directories. And, Samair asks me to log in to THAT website, so I'm not sure what to do there...

EDIT 2: Alright, I tried something. I used the first suggestion (ftp://user@host.com) in netscape. It works there, but I can't upload or change anything; just download. Anyone know how I can work it from there?

flamingspinach
FUCK YES! That second to last one, WEBFTP service, worked. THANK YOU!! ^_^

EDIT: *sigh* more problems... WEBFTP Service won't 'respond' when I try to upload stuff: I just get the 'this page cannot be displayed' page. I get that same page if I try to log in to the first two, and Marzie's webFTP client doesn't show any files or directories. And, Samair asks me to log in to THAT website, so I'm not sure what to do there...

EDIT 2: Alright, I tried something. I used the first suggestion (ftp://user@host.com) in netscape. It works there, but I can't upload or change anything; just download. Anyone know how I can work it from there?
Hmm... does Keenspace itself have an upload page? Apart from that, I can't think of what else you could do to make FTP work, short of using an FTP client program like WS_FTP or FileZilla...

Or if nothing else works, you could (*shudder*) transfer the files via floppy from the desktop to the laptop...

Dark Laith
Keenspace itself does not have an upload page. I dunno why...

As for transferring the files straight to the laptop... would've done that if my laptop had a floppy drive. :p

EDIT: okay, I tried that first link again. It worked this time...

One problem. I want to (obviously) test it out, but I can't read German! Any pointers here? lol. Even if all you can do is point me to an english-german online dictionary, that would help.