: Important Characters in a Comic

DistAdvent
Well, I recently began creating some characters and wondered, which character I believe is most improtant. I began considering even the minor characters in the story. So, I first am interested in asking, do you believe the main characters always have an improtant role? Or do the minor characters sometimes attain the important role. I can percieve a minor character having it because they could decide which particular direction the story progresses in.

Also, which character do you believe is the most important character in your comic? It could also be a minor character in the comic then.

fiftyandhalifax
i would say halifax was more important than fifty.

Glasko
Well, you know your characters better than anybody else. I don't think it's bad to have a section of comics follow a side character, sitcoms do it all the time, I would think it'd work in comics too.

PokeGravy
It all depends on the comic. In my comic, the two main characters are most important but the minor characters get time devoted to stories about them, too.

Ronson
If anyone has any characters that are inimportant to the story, they should save themselves time and ditch them. :)

As for most important, naturally mine is Ronson. But there are quite a few characters I've already introduced that would ruin the story to take out.

Chris C.
I fall back on Vlad, Edgar & Spooky for the main chunk of stories but every so often I find a story made for another character and give them their time to shine.

Stickmaster Brad
The comic is called Sticky & Blob-o but every character is as important as the one that came before it. Except for Lamer Noob (The newest character, the guy in the banner there...). I don't like him. No one does. Which is why he's cool. But he isn't, really. He's dumb. He'll never be popular, which is why people will like him and make him popular. I'm going around in circles....

DistAdvent
Well, I don't really believe that there is a character in your comic that is not important. Even the characters used in the backround have their own significant role (for me I use it to referance the town and their tasks).

I guess the different stories based on a new character can cause them to be important, but after it usually results in them losing that role. So, I guess the minor characters that appear in particular areas still could decide how the story progresses.

Another thing that you could use to consider your most important character is if the story could still progress without them. It doesn't have to be based on the the amount of time they appear then.

chikin
Some of my minor characters have become major characters. Whoops. XD I dunno, the story(ies?) tends to revolve around certain characters, making them more important than others, but sometimes those characters may be in the background, but no less important than those more obvious. I dunno. XD I guess the narrative can differ from the story in terms of character focus. :/ Eg, in articide there are characters that I haven't introduced yet that are still affecting the story. Although that could be because it's really badly written. :D I have no idea what I'm talking about. :D

Yutz
Right now I taking a class about myth in both the ancient and modern world. From what I can tell, all stories need at least 3 basic types of characters:

The hero - because without that, you couldn't have a story, right? :square_ey
"Threshold guardians" - basically the antagonist, the anti-hero. This is whatever the hero has to fight again, it could be a person, some inner demon, or whatever.
Mentors - people who provide teachings or guidance to the hero

So yeah, these are the characters that are important, at least as far as the writing professor is concerned. It really seems I've just stated the obvious here, but oh well.

goonigoogoo
I have all these minor characters that people like more than the main characters even though they've appeared in, like, five strips

NOW!!!!
http://rugg.keenspace.com/images/images_characters/01_chicken.gif

Eddache
Hugh is very important to the strip as Cuthbert needs to bounce off him.

Schmoo
So far, most characters other than the main one have been "disposed of (http://www.drunkduck.com/Chopsocky/?i=61391)" pretty quickly, or in some way simply written out, possibly temporarily.

That's gonna change in the next few updates though, as more plot-driving characters are added.

Zspade
I unfortunately have like 10 characters, and none of them really hold presedence over the others. This is actually a problem, as it adds far too much chaos. Plus there is no strong connection to any one character, which if there was, would help builld fanbase loyalty. Next season I'm going to cut it down to 3 main characters, and cameos by the old ones.

DistAdvent
Well, this actually isn't bad having ten different characters. Although you have them in a position where there is no main character, it probably can be adjusted by having one trascend the others. There can be some sort of task where this does occur. I am explaining this because it is actually important to have a variety of characters and am just suggesting a way to accomplish this.

Also, I again wanted to say that minor characters definitly also add to the story. If they weren't there to contribute, there probably would be no depth in the story then.

The Unknown Comic
I got 3 main characters, but I guess Madison takes center stage and is considered the title character.

skoolmunkee
Actually, some of my minor characters that have only appeared once are way more popular than the main characters. Though, that's probably why they're more popular.