: My stab at PETA

Halo
Be warned it's a little on the graphic side, but check it:
http://www.4inthemorn.com/wtf/archive.php?date=20031008.gif

Complete with all the batshit crazy things PETA has been doing in the news post... including supporting a local terrorist group the Earth Liberation Front... aka ELF (I only wish that was a joke...).

Ethane
A little graphic? That's rotten.com quality stuff there (warning to those of you with weak stomachs). I don't like the PETA myself so I found it amusing.

Ethane

chikin
"The Indestructible Ribcage did nothing! NOTHIIING!"

Cool. People go splat. :D

Halo
It's just pen and ink... hardly rotten worthy.

Glad you liked it :)

rezo
If they were to drive slowly like they were supposed to, they needn't swerve.

But seriously, PETA is simply a group of noble idealists that can look past their egos in the great human vs. creature war. Yes, you may think its harsh for them to want to blow up fast food joints, slaughterhouses, and banks that fund them, but they are simply standing up for the millions of animals that are killed every year that have no hands of their own to fight with. Our animal brothers are killed everyday to be served up in those very food joints, after passing through those very same slaughterhouses that may very well be supported by those very same banks? The animals have clearly lost the battle, so who will honestly stand up for them? Them in shackles with no means to strike back at the human devil? Its obvious that PETA will be their hands! They will reign down their fury upon the creature's oppressors until all that is left is bloody pulp of human flesh and regret!

Ethane
Its obvious that PETA will be their hands! They will reign down their fury upon the creature's oppressors until all that is left is bloody pulp of human flesh and regret!

This is debate forum material, not here.

Ethane

rezo
Only if you took the post seriously. In which case I'd call your wits suspect. " :) " ?

Ethane
Well, cut me some slack, my wits are due for a 100,000 retort tuneup.

Ethane

Ronson
But seriously, PETA is simply a group of noble idealists that can look past their egos in the great human vs. creature war. Yes, you may think its harsh for them to want to blow up fast food joints, slaughterhouses, and banks that fund them, but they are simply standing up for the millions of animals that are killed every year that have no hands of their own to fight with.

Sorry, got to pick on that comment a bit. PETA is not a group of animal activists that believe firebombing businesses is the way to get their point across, anymore than Anti-abortionists are people who believe the doctors should be killed. Generally, they use peaceful demonstrations, shocking ad campains and writing campaigns to get their points across.

PETA got this reputation because after a particularly horrible bit of destruction was caused - not by PETA - but by another activist group trying to "protect" the animals, a PETA representative said "Well, I can understand how people could feel that way..." Or something like that. Not condoning it, but understanding it. Not a bright thing to say when human life is lost, but these folks believe in their cause passionately. They have their nutcases, to be sure. The fringe element is hard to keep out when you're fighting for a cause (any cause.).

As for the cartoon, it is illustrated very well (as usual) ... and very disturbingly. Good work. The message, to me, is kind of lost though. I can't decide if it means "PETA members should get run over by cars" or "worry about yourself before you worry about the animals."

I think the latter is the more ironic statement to make about animal rights activists. The fact that they have an entire organization for the betterment of animals, and probably pass a few homeless people on the street every day and don't do anything for them.

goonigoogoo
That reminds me, A boatload of sheep meant for the middle east were refused docking, because they claimed the sheep were diseased. The immediate outcry was tremendous. Thousands of people cried out about the poor sheep.

Two years ago, a boatload of refugees were taken aboard by the Tampa who responded to an SOS after their ship sank. The immediate outcry was to send them back, even though the UN human rights treaty signed by Australia said that we will accept refugees. After that, the cry was that they should've been left to die in the water, a clear contradiction of human rights again, and marine law (the SOS). Finally, they sent soldiers.

Mmm. Stupid

rezo
Sorry, got to pick on that comment a bit. PETA is not a group of animal activists that believe firebombing businesses is the way to get their point across, anymore than Anti-abortionists are people who believe the doctors should be killed. Generally, they use peaceful demonstrations, shocking ad campains and writing campaigns to get their points across.

Just to make it clear, I was being facetious with my first post. I don't believe PETA is an organization ready to take up arms against humanity for the sake of animal rights. I cut the comment about destroying fast food places and the like right out of an article linked by Halo. I suppose the parody would have been obvious if people had read that particular one? Or maybe I just need to be more obvious in the future.

jots down notes

they help me remember.

Two years ago, a boatload of refugees were taken aboard by the Tampa who responded to an SOS after their ship sank. The immediate outcry was to send them back, even though the UN human rights treaty signed by Australia said that we will accept refugees. After that, the cry was that they should've been left to die in the water, a clear contradiction of human rights again, and marine law (the SOS). Finally, they sent soldiers.

Yeah, well, good riddance. They'd just steal jobs and valuable resources. Resources that the country they were attempting to enter desperately needs for its real citizens!

goonigoogoo
What bugs me is that every time there's a war, there's a corresponding flood of refugees (eg; WW2 - Europeans, Korea, Vietnam - Asians, Afghanistan, Iraq - Muslims), yet people CAN'T MAKE THIS CONNECTION

"WHY ARE ALL THESE DIRTY WOGS/CHINESE/ARABS COMING TO OUR COUNTRY?!"
Because you BLEW THEIRS UP DAMNIT

Ronson
Just to make it clear, I was being facetious with my first post. I don't believe PETA is an organization ready to take up arms against humanity for the sake of animal rights. I cut the comment about destroying fast food places and the like right out of an article linked by Halo. I suppose the parody would have been obvious if people had read that particular one? Or maybe I just need to be more obvious in the future.

Nah, I didn't even notice that. Sorry. My bad. I really shouldn't comment this late at night.

PokeGravy
I knew your post was a joke, Rezo.

PETA sucks. Animal rights are important, but there's a limit. Last year PETA called the killing of millions of chickens for our eating the same as the killing of millions of people in the Holocaust. That's sort of offensive.

As for the comic, very gruesome, funny, but I didn't get the squirrel thing as much until I read your explanation underneath. Maybe if you had drawn a bigger overhead shot of the road with swerving tire marks around a little squirrel. Also, I think a more cartoony looking run-over guy could have been more effective than that gory mess you got there.

Schmoo
Or, have a PETA guy getting out of the car saying "Holy shit, I almost hit that squirrel!"

I didn't really get it till I read your explanation underneath either.

Halo
PETA got this reputation because after a particularly horrible bit of destruction was caused - not by PETA - but by another activist group trying to "protect" the animals, a PETA representative said "Well, I can understand how people could feel that way..." Or something like that. Not condoning it, but understanding it.

As for the cartoon, it is illustrated very well (as usual) ... and very disturbingly. Good work. The message, to me, is kind of lost though. I can't decide if it means "PETA members should get run over by cars" or "worry about yourself before you worry about the animals."

I think the latter is the more ironic statement to make about animal rights activists. The fact that they have an entire organization for the betterment of animals, and probably pass a few homeless people on the street every day and don't do anything for them.

1. I know it's been said, but yeah the article I linked tells how PETA has helped fund (not just understand) and continues to fund ELF... the even more extreme organization that blows stuff up on occasion.

2. The comic really means a little bit of both... and it also implies that with all their crazy tactics and horrid attempts at publicity they're shooting themselves in the foot. Stand out in the middle of a road to save a squirrel, your message gets across as the driver swirves... unfortunately because you were IN the road and not beside it... you get the results of the comic. 1 happy squirrel, 1 happy author, and 1 dead member of PETA.

bjart23
ELF rules. If you can kill people and still be humanitarian, why can't you kill people and still be an environmentalist? Most people don't take the causes ELF promotes seriously, so the obvious response should be for them to become more serious. Nothing like incendiary devices to get attention. True, I don't agree with their methods, but I'd much rather use legal resources to press charges against the people and corporations ELF opposes than them.

I thought the comic was in rather poor taste, but I usually avoid graphic stuff like that anyway.

Halo
Yeah, all my comics are in kind of in poor taste... it's sort of what I do.

Blowing things up because you don't agree with them is also in poor taste...

bjart23
Blowing things up because you don't agree with them is also in poor taste...

I thought that was called Enduring Freedom or liberation or something like that? Oh well, you noticed the irony, so now I feel special. (:

Day2Night
im actually a part of PETA. (psst, i get free stuff) I am vegetarian and not vegan and alot of people say im just as bad as the factory owners and some say its good im at least attempting to contribute. The people at PETA are diverse in belief, some are... well insane. and some just want to help animals and get free stuff.

I thought the comic was funny, I had a similar idea but not so much for a comic but a point I use in argument that people should be taken care of before animals. So from a PETA loser themself, i thought it was funny. But I wouldn't have gotten that he dodged the squirel or whatever unless i read the thing under it. Ew but i definatly didn;t know about the jesus prince of the peas or the lady wanting to be bbqed thing. aw man i should REALLY ditch PETA. ok, later.

Day2Night
o also I made a post about this comic on the PETA boards. check it out if u want.
http://www.actionstudio.org/public/folder_view.cfm?pageid=341&option=view_thread&postid=298866&folderid=726

Stickmaster Brad
Ah, that was a nice alternative read! It's like if Maddox wrote comics! A+!

Halo
There are plenty other SANE animal rights groups for you to join.

My problem isn't with veggie folk, that's their doing, my problem isn't with people trying to get animals better treatment and not cage life... my problem is with people blowing shit up to make a statement, or just about any other of the radical things PETA does.

They've got the message, and have done so much crap that it has done nothing but hurt them, if they were to relax a little they'd be able to get a lot more done.