: Come one, come all!

SuicidalCow
a long while ago, i put up an "ad" for a comic called "Unidentical". recieving criticism, i took it down, revised it, and came out with a better comic in the whole. It is done digitally, colored, and better layouts, i think. Please comment here, or there. please give criticism, to help me fine tune the comic!
or compliments, whichever.

www.unidentical.tk or www.drunkduck.com/Unidentical

The Unknown Comic
I truly believe you will improve with time.

I like some of the colors. Now, you need a wee bit more experience. Don't get discouraged. It sounds like you are new to this experience.

good luck.

SuicidalCow
I truly believe you will improve with time.

I like some of the colors. Now, you need a wee bit more experience. Don't get discouraged. It sounds like you are new to this experience.

good luck.

yea...experience is good, something i dont have! drawing faces that look exactly the same as the last one is another problem i have... :Puzzled:

The Unknown Comic
Tip.
If you have a bit of time and a large sheet of blank paper. You can draw one character over and over in the same pose until you get more comfortable. Then turn the sheet over and try a new pose over and over.
Draw them as quick as you can. Do this for about an hour on a Saturday for 3-4 weeks. I guarantee you will have improved since the start.
Later, when you are more comfortable drawing, you can refine it and make your lines cleaner.

SuicidalCow
thats a good tip! ill be sure to do that tomorrow (four day weekend from my middle school :jester: ) i like the idea. what poses would you suggest?

The Unknown Comic
always try an easy pose first.
maybe a straight on front pose.

remember, you don't want to get discouraged.

People who can draw nice are not necessarily better but, more advanced. They have drawn similar things many, many times. It's all about the practice and learning along the way.
One more tip, once you have drawn something you like look at it from a distance. A lot of times things look different up close. You might be able to see your perspective is wrong or one eye is higher than the other.

SuicidalCow
always try an easy pose first.
maybe a straight on front pose.

Thats my problem, i cant draw my character for crap with a front look. I just cant with the hair due and all. Ive tried many times. It has sort of made my main character a 2-d person always looking towards the side, never completely in the front. I can draw most of my characters fine (kinda) front view.

The Unknown Comic
it was a suggestion.
Do a pose you are comfortable with first then when you get better try the more difficult one.

You will never improve if you don't try.

Akira_0864
My best advice is give up
Wait no, NOOOO!!!
Stupid brain
My best advice is give the character form.
The Unknown Comic, has the right idea. Just draw over and over in a simple pose until you can accurately recreate that pose. You can also always right some notes on a character page like animaters.
The hair due can face off to the side when facing forward, some comics just do that. Just remember to face it off to a side that he's most likely going to, or something like that.

SuicidalCow
My best advice is give up
Wait no, NOOOO!!!
Stupid brain
My best advice is give the character form.
The Unknown Comic, has the right idea. Just draw over and over in a simple pose until you can accurately recreate that pose. You can also always right some notes on a character page like animaters.
The hair due can face off to the side when facing forward, some comics just do that. Just remember to face it off to a side that he's most likely going to, or something like that.

well, i thought it would look really 2D if i just put the hair the same way. I think i should take some classes, besides the dam classes here at the middle school. The ones where we learn that if things are colored, they might look better. wooooow...ya think??

Write notes next to the characeters? what do you mean? sorry if that seems stupid...

bjart23
And take a long look at the layout of other comics. You have *a lot* of empty space between panels. That's kind of like the visual equivalent to a comedian saying "um....um....oh yeah...no...wait...um..."

And middle school? Hell yeah, you have promise, man.

SuicidalCow
And take a long look at the layout of other comics. You have *a lot* of empty space between panels. That's kind of like the visual equivalent to a comedian saying "um....um....oh yeah...no...wait...um..."

oh, thanks. yea, the comic on the main page showing right now had two versions. With white space, without white space. I think it was my mistake on how i colored it, but i thought the white one looked better. maybe i was wrong, ill check again.

samfish

you mean like ellen degeneres or bob newhart? :D

a good way to combat empty negative space is to just fill it black. the eye floats across black, where it'll get stopped by sudden white.
still, the best solution is to just manage your panels better.

your art is good, too. it could use some refining, but other then that, its pretty solid. i think it'd look a lot better with thicker outlines around the characters, though, ala PPG or dexter's lab type outlines.

get yourself a comic font. not arial. how ugly. www.blambot.com

also, work on shrinking your dialouge boxes. they look huge. although part of that is due to all the space between the panels.

rezo
That's kind of like the visual equivalent to a comedian saying "um....um....oh yeah...no...wait...um..."

Colin Quinn!

SuicidalCow
Eh, thanks for the comments people and suggestions. Ill use them to the fullest on my next strip. check it out when it goes up later today (i hope! i have some homework to finish off!). anyway, thnak you!

www.unidentical.tk

SuicidalCow
Alright people, i finished the comic for today, and it will be up by...um..well, actually, that leads to my question. What is a good time to change the comic. Should i change it right before the masses come 7 pm. - 2 am or so..i think...or should i change it after...
thanks

www.unidentical.tk

SuicidalCow
alright, ive got the comic up. I made the lines thicker, i changed the font, i filled in the back ground, so i hope everybody likes it more than the last comics! Any more suggetsions about the comic would be appreciated!

The Unknown Comic
I think there's improvement.
The guy with the thinking pose is good. Not many people attempt such expression this early on.

Keep it up and you will be well on your way.

Keep practicing and it will become easier for you. ;)

SuicidalCow
I think there's improvement.
The guy with the thinking pose is good. Not many people attempt such expression this early on.

Keep it up and you will be well on your way.

Keep practicing and it will become easier for you. ;)

thanks. That actually was the first time i tried that pose. I thought it looked like he was sucking his thumb for some reason...

Steve Hogan
One of the best ways to keep a character consistent is to do like animators do and have a model sheet. Try drawing the character with different expressions from different angles and trying different gestures. As you go along, make notes about proportions and identifying features.

SuicidalCow
One of the best ways to keep a character consistent is to do like animators do and have a model sheet. Try drawing the character with different expressions from different angles and trying different gestures. As you go along, make notes about proportions and identifying features.

so thats what akira meant by do what animaters do by making notes next to the characters! stupid me... I finished my sketch book, off to the store tomorrow!

SuicidalCow
do any of you think i should add shading to my comic?i know it would help, but what i mean is, is it really needed?