: How I Killed A Webcomic

BlurryMystr
With joy in my heart, I bounded onto the new TWC list, eager to see who had replaced me after the brief stay on the Top 10 I had enjoyed for a period of about two hours. Lo and behold, at the number 8 spot was what appeared to be one of those nefarious crappy sprite comics, this one called Super Cez's Adventure (http://www.rotdrpg.com/Main.html). "Well," I thought to myself, "it's gotten enough votes to make it into the Top 10, so that means one of two things... a) Rabid fans or b) it's a quality comic."

I click on the link so that I can determine which is the case, and I'm met with one of those sites with fifty gajillion webcomics hosted by the same portal, confusing and awkward navigation... and an embedded .midi playing in the background. At this point, my TWC veteran instinct kicks in: "Uh oh. Not only is it poorly designed... but there's a damn .midi playing. And it's a sprite comic." But there's still a faint hope - maybe, despite its design flaws and poor taste, the comic itself might still be brilliant!

That hope disappeared the moment I read the first line of dialogue in the latest comic: "Dude! Sickening! You have smoked of the pot I have ejaculated on!"

That does it.

I quickly returned to the TWC list and noticed the new "Post Comments" function. Hmmm.... I read the four already there - they're all positive? For a sprite comic? Oh dear. This has to be rectified, I think to myself.

So, I dash off my first impressions. (http://www.topwebcomics.com/index.php?do=comment&id=44) Satisfied with myself, I go to work.

When I come back, I have two e-mails waiting for me. One says that they didn't think the background music did what I described, but the other notified me that the creator of the webcomic was quitting the comic because of my one comment.

I couldn't believe it! I checked their site and glory be! My lone negative comment was enough to bring down an entire webcomic!

I feel a little bit guilty, not for what I said, but for the nearly melodramatic effects of what I said. Some people just can't cope with a negative comment, I suppose.

Infinite
Forgive me, ROTD Network
The site is godawful, the comic is crappily done, and I can't make the f*cking background music stop playing. Not only does this comic not deserve to be in the Top 10, it doesn't deserve to be in the Top 150.

Pretty harsh words, huh? Yeah... SCA is done, friends. S.C.A.T.T. begins tomorrow. Why kill SCA if I haven't even reached 100 yet? I'm so close!

I can't live with it. I'm not proud of SCA anymore. I've come to realize that this man is, in fact, quite right. The site needs improving. Rber has already told us he'll be working on it. Thanks, Rber.

SCA will be moved over to Rber's site, simply for hosting purposes. SCATT will be here, along with everyone else. I promise that SCATT will be much better. And now for the irony of the day:

Seems to me that author is a drama king. He gets no sympathy from me. Bloody good work.

Litazia Tanxashira
.. impressive.

FB20XL? Why does that sound familiar?

Bowser
You mentioned Fireball20xl... It's my opinion that without that horrible site most of the crappy comics of the sprite group would never exist...

Blurry, sounds like you stopped one of the bad ones... Hell, any comic willing to quit after one negative coment must be god-awful.

claytonian
thank you for this service

Chris C.
Someone get the medal of honor and engrave Blurry's name on it.

Well done.

The Unknown Comic
you did this kid a favor, blurry.

he'll probably go on to be president or something.

samfish
so...do you think if i gave you a list, you could kill some peopl- i mean, comics, for me?

seriously, though, i too, saw the offending comic in question. its no shame to see it go, to say the least.

Zspade
I click on the link so that I can determine which is the case, and I'm met with one of those sites with fifty gajillion webcomics hosted by the same portal

That right there is a capitol offense, and merrits being taken off the list.

Sigh, I've been sitting at #11 all day, watching #10 slowly get further and further from my grasp.

Zach Schleicher
LoL. Sprite comics.. Are.. Yeah. Fireball20xl has some okay comics. I'm not too happy about the way the attitude of the site, is, though, being conceited and proud and all of that jazz by editing Sonic/Mario sprites and claiming them as their own or even putting them into storylines that shouldn't even be bothered with (I'm sure that the teams which have made the sprites and the characters/stories, themselves, are a bit pissed about it). I'm annoyed and a bit peeved with all of these sprite edits. Go to DeviantART (http://pixelart.deviantart.com) and check out that sort of garbage. Hell, the forums on there even have the complaints of idiots that do that crap. Hoo-kay, I'm done rambling. And yes, nice work in succeeding in killing a sprite comic! The poor children that aren't adult enough to take any heat. :T

BlurryMystr
so...do you think if i gave you a list, you could kill some peopl- i mean, comics, for me?
Just name your price. Sprite comics are free, gamer comics are half off on Wednesdays.

Threeboy
negative comments about TrueNuff get me motivated ;)

drewgood
I for one enjoy negative comments if they're constructive.....'it sucks' doesn't help me much, but 'it sucks and here's why...." ...whether I agree or not, I sometimes need another viewpoint to let me know where I'm going wrong.

of course "it f*cking rocks!!" is also a welcome statement :)

my comic is way down in the low 130's at this point i think, so i must not be doing as good as a job as i would like

MaRiNe
If I had a dollar for everytime, just Chris said I sucked. I'd be so rich. In my opinion,
and if at all possible should be stricken from the internet. Oh, and my obbession with mario bros 3 has sparked some ideas for a sprite comic. God help us if my ideas make it to pixel.
negative comments about TrueNuff get me motivated ;)

Me to! Your comic is trashy cut n pasteing, of the same poorly drawn charactors, and your spelling errors are in spades. SPADES.

goonigoogoo
Damn blurry. You should write a book, so we can all learn your spirit-crushing secrets.

Or at least a manifesto

Zach Schleicher
Does anyone want some cheeseburger pie to go with this? :O

bjart23
Good job, agent. I'm going to nominate you for a Nobel when your name is declassified.

Schmoo
I for some reason am imagining the possibility that the author of said comic was in fact a 35 years old man, twice divorced, with children from three seperate relationships who all hate him but still hound him for child support payments, living in a dingy flat in a rough part of London, eating nothing but lentils, who cries himself to sleep every night and was on the verge of suicide, and you have just pushed him over the edge.

There, don't feel so great now, DO YA!

samfish
I for some reason am imagining the possibility that the author of said comic was in fact a 35 years old man, twice divorced, with children from three seperate relationships who all hate him but still hound him for child support payments, living in a dingy flat in a rough part of London, eating nothing but lentils, who cries himself to sleep every night and was on the verge of suicide, and you have just pushed him over the edge.

There, don't feel so great now, DO YA!
wait wait wait...you mean people in england have problems? i thought they lived in a utopia. where there was no crime of any sort. and only america has problems. well, us and the middle east.

...damn...you really DO learn something new every day!

Schmoo
Only people living in London have problems, what with the black plague and such.

Fluffy-Phil
And that pesky fire....

MaRiNe
And not to mention, evil, danceing, dictators! WITH STICKS FOR ARMS N LEGS!

EmoKid
So here's the plan from now on instead of ripping bad sprite comics to shreds we will leave this notice. Please never make another comic again or else we will be forced to unleash BlurryMystr on you and you will suffer much pain. :jester:

Stickmaster Brad
I LOVE negative comments! Most are constructive, others say "This is so stupid" with a low score (Drunk Duck, mind you). But I remember one that said, along the lines:

"You use childish anime style and it sucks. And are you supposed to use sprites?"

Hahah, I keep saying my comic is really for people who like anime and/or video games, and the "sprites" were just a couple copy-paste smaller images of the characters.

HAHAHA! SEE!? MAKING NEGATIVE COMMENTS ARE TEH FUNNEY BCUZ I LAUGH AT J00!!!

(Speaking of j00, I just found out I have 1/4 Jewish blood in me yesterday. What wonders will grandfather unlock next!?)

EmoKid
I like negative comments too...however I hardly ever get any constructive ones. I acctually got one that said something along the lines of "OMG this comic is teh suxxor i think it would be much better if it had sprites in it." granted that person was probally joking :D. But if people tell me whats wrong I will for the most part try to get around to fix it.

Erik the Hack
I wonder what the official police code (here in the states) for that would be...

I have an 869 in progress, murder of a poor, defenseless web comic with extreme prejudice--gonna need some back-up. Oh, wait, forget that: the perp is BlurryMystr. There ain't enough back-up in the whole county to bring him in...

Billybobgeorgebob
Seems to me that author is a drama king. He gets no sympathy from me. Bloody good work.

Hell, any comic willing to quit after one negative coment must be god-awful.

God damnit! What I would have said has already been said! :yelling:

Stickmaster Brad
Now now, Tommy Vercetti could do it.... Ya know, in his prime, I bet he's like 50 now...

MaRiNe
He's dead, obviously. Cocaine buissness in the late 80s, which the game obviously after 86-88 area, means that coke was dying out, and so was tommy. So by 1994, I'd say he was killed, or faked his death as o so many mob people do.

http://www.unc.edu/~pdesena/tmyk.gif