: thinking of making a comic

Kernwik
I am thinking of making a sprite comic using red alert 2 gfx and wondered if any one knows a comic that has doen this or has any advise on the subject?

At the moment I am thinking to do each background in final alert map editor copy this into psp and add the charicters text etc from their. Any input would be apriciated.

PokeGravy
I'm not going to be mean about sprite comics, that debate has been played out millions of times here, but what I would suggest is that maybe there is a different forum you can get advice in? I'm by no means kicking you out here, just saying that in terms of discussion of sprite comics you may not find advice because a lot of people here (I'm included) have some prejudices.

Erik the Hack
Hi Kernwik!

I'm not sure, but this type of request might be better suited for the "Help Wanted" forum...? :Puzzled: In any event, best of luck with your new project! Making a web comic can be a lot of fun! Ah, but be careful about where you post for crits, as they can get pretty vicious, depending on where you ask. For the most part, we tend to be pretty hard-to-please around here (i.e. snobby :headshot: ), but some of us will also do our best to help you however we can.

claytonian
stop now. Dont start. I'm warning you, we don't take kindly to sprites around here. see that guy in my avatar? he brought us a sprite comic, so we had to 'splode 'im.

KCGREEN
ah, let em do what he wants.

Dinglemunch
You wanna make a sprite comic, go ahead. If you like sprite comics and that's your thing, then do what you like. I most likely will not read it, and neither will a lot of folks here, just because it truly has been done to DEATH.

I would strongly suggest you consider using a pencil or pen to create your comics. Even if the characters and subject matter is exactly the same as the sprite comic you are planning, you will score way more points with the readers. (And I'm not just talking about those of us in this little TWC bubble, either. I mean the general reading public.)

Kernwik
the problem is I dont have a scanner for uploading my own drawings

Elftor
the problem is I dont have a scanner for uploading my own drawings
christmas is coming up. axe santa

MaRiNe
Staple your papers to the moniter, Then the internet fairy will transport them onto the web at www.kernwick.com

Bowser
Kernwik, your idea for a sprite comic sounds like it involves effort to put together. Most of the people bitching about sprites do so because of the many sprite comics that haven't any effort put in them. In that respect you should be fine.

You don't have a scanner. That is not a reason to choose sprites. If you WANT to go drawn, GET a scanner. If, on the other hand, sprite really IS your medium of choice, then go for it. I'm not familiar with any of the games you mentioned, but your idea does sound like it requires a certain amount of work. Enough work that you wouldn't allow it to be crap.

Isn't it a rule that the sprite disscussion is supposed to stay in the Sprite vs. Hand Drawn thread? What was the purpose of making that thread if we still allow this disscussion in all these other topics? A link to that thread would still get your opinion on sprites heard assuming you posted in it. There's really no reason to bring it in here in a non-link form.

Dinglemunch
By the way, what I essentially meant by picking up a pen and drawing the comic was that you ought to make the drawings come from your own hand, whether you use an actual pen with ink or a mouse with a graphics program. For instance, there are quite a few well-produced comics that use MS Paint to good effect, but a) either their characters are completely original, or b) their interpretations of existing characters are original. The point is, they don't use sprites. (Well, Bollox has done a few with Max and Marsha, but still.)

Except for a few drawn-and-scanned comics I drew as an experiment, all of my Joel and Steve comics are done with a mouse in Photoshop.

(and you're right, Bowser, this thread really oughta be moved.)

Kernwik
thanks for the advise I think I will experiment with using sprites my own drawings (computer and hand) and go from their

Sorry if I posted this in the wrong place

Yutz
You know what? The guy gets a couple bonus points from me just because he won't be using Sonic or Mega Man sprites.

Schmoo
Do a sprite comic if you want, just remember it will be harder to get readers if you do.

Bowser
thanks for the advise I think I will experiment with using sprites my own drawings (computer and hand) and go from their

Sorry if I posted this in the wrong placeThis was the right place for your post. Good luck.

Kernwik
I made a few frames and I wont be using sprites it was a lot of work and I wasnt happy with the finished effect

SuicidalCow
Staple your papers to the moniter, Then the internet fairy will transport them onto the web at www.kernwick.com

somewhere, someone has tried this.

KCGREEN
and it still doesn't work for me.

Czarland Junky
To anyone thinking "Hey, I'll start a comic", please consider that every day, there are hundreds of people with the exact same thought, many of them having the exact same level of inspiration as yourself. Think really hard about it and ask yourself honestly if the comic you have in mind is something that you'd actually read regularly if someone else made it. Give yourself an honest answer too. Don't tell me, because I'm not the one you have to prove it to. Prove it to yourself that the comic is worth doing.