: Palette Change

DarkShive
Some of you may not understand what I mean by this, but I'm plotting to adjust the palette I use for the greyscale comics. I've decided that the current pallete is too dark, primarily when it's printed out. I do want to have books of EGS someday, and some of the comics are just too dark on paper, in my opinion. The change is minor; each shade (other than black, obviously) is up 8 points for red, green and blue (each) on a 255 RGB scale. The difference, as I've been suggesting, is most noticable on paper, or if you have a really dark monitor.

Why is this important? Um... it just is? Yeah... anyway, here are two images that are samples of the difference... if you can tell which is brighter, I guess this has a minor impact on you :normal:

x-atm092
The second one is lighter.

Great idea, Dan. But doesn't this mean you'll have to alter each and every comic in the archives based on the old scale?

cow bell man
Hmmm.

When I looked at them the left one looked ever so slightly darker that the right on

((I have a monitor set at 32-bits btw))

I printed it out on a laser jet printer.
The one on the left was only darker on the jacket and again it was ever so light.
The one on the right was looks the same (minus the jacket)

Then I printed the pics out by a Deskjet printer.

Same thing again
The jacket was ever so darker on the left
The jacket was ever so lighter on the right

What monitor and printer are you useing if you mind me asking?

DarkShive
HP 932C for the printer... what monitor I use doesn't really matter, as I can just adjust the brightness and contrast. What I print out are high-resolution versions at a high-quality setting, and that may make the difference more noticable. Also, it's not so much the individual shades, but how they contrast from the black borders and other colors. I find their is a notable improvement in contrast, which is my main concern.

And as my main concern is printing contrast, I'll need to adjust the brightness of my images before I print them out. ...Or maybe I should kinker with contrast and see how that goes...

cow bell man
Also the paper you print on could help as well.

Angelus Lupus
I see the diference and I can understand why you would want to change, we wouldn't want to lose any detail and it does give the background more effect. Anyone can change contrast/brightness on their monitor, I've yet to find a book that can do that.

Tropylium
The overdarkness may be a function of the printer software, too. If the hueresolution of a printer is, say, 16, some software could round colour differences less than that upwards, while some other could round them downwards.

Anyway, nothing wrong with the change. I think the one on the right is the lighter one...

Dark_Sword
I personally can't tell the difference. Maybe one's lighter than the other(which is usually the right one) but I'm not sure if the pallete change is necissary since you usually do your comics in black-and-white. But you do what you think is right.

CRS2117
The one on the right is the lighter, if anything It brings out the detail better. I never noticed the wrinkles in the jacket lapel before. However they are very uniform, you might want to use less or have them different lenghs.

Hey it's your fault. If you kept the comic nice and dark I'd have never noticed you trying to introduce texture into clothes.

Semaw
I can only notice the difference if I'm looking for it. And rapidly flipping between the tow pics.