: Animation programs

UnimatrixOsigma
Which is the best? I have the Animation Shop program that comes with PSP but should I be looking for somthing more proffesional like Flash or somthing?? Any advice would be helpfull.

-Unimatrix

Chris C.
Well, it kind of depends on where you want to show the animation. If it's on the internet, then Flash seems to be the most popular choice.

Baron Von Waffle
I'm learning how to make flash animations right now, I'm I'm really liking it so far, but like Chris said, it depends on what you want to do and where you want to show it.

samfish
i use flash when i make cartoons, also.

you could also do it the HARD way and make a light box, draw the frames, scan then and put them together...i say its hard because two weks of work will get you less them a minute. but its satisfying.

but i'd go w/ flash, if i were you.

UnimatrixOsigma
Flash it be

Hank
If you have the money I'd recommend ToonBoom. But Flash will work too.

Zeek
ah yes. toonboom is most excellent.

Chris C.
What's the overall benefit of ToonBoom (which now seems to be called USAnimation OPUS???)?

EDIT: Oh wait...found the site. *Browsing*

Hydra_Vision
If you have the money
Or a high speed internet connection to *purchase* it :nervous:

Steve Hogan
I use it at work for animation, for freelance illustration and on my strip. It's a great program although sometimes prone to weird vector voodoo. ("I just resized this, so why did it all fill in black or disappear?")

Hank
Or a high speed internet connection to *purchase* it :nervous:

Right. The high speed internet connection is what you're supposed to spend the money on if you have it.

UnimatrixOsigma
What exactly is this Toonboom thing is it like Flash?

Hank
I only recently purchased a copy (Yes, I actually purchased this one) and I've only begun to get my feet wet playing around and working through the tutorials and such. I can't really tell you too much about it, but a lot of good info can be found at http://toonboom.com (http://www.toonboom.com/main/index.php?lang=en) if you're interested.

Zspade
I'm using 3d studio max to make my first animation. I'm guessing it'll be about a year before this 5 minute short is done...

samfish
studio max takes a while to learn, but once you become familar with it, its really kind of simple. except skinning. took me forever to figure that out.

anyone know where i can see like a screenshot or even a demo or something for toonboom? sounds like a promising program...

Chris C.
www.toonboomstudio.com

Steve Ince
I'm using 3d studio max to make my first animation. I'm guessing it'll be about a year before this 5 minute short is done...
We used 3DSMax for our games In Cold Blood and El Dorado, but now we use Maya. It's excellent, but a little expensive. I believe they do a lite version, though.

Chris C.
Is there recommended reading for a noob wanting to get into 3dsmax? And I'm talking TOTAL noob.

Billybobgeorgebob
http://www.firstfoot.com/geneolagy/images/flasher.jpg

turbo kiwi
i

...you could also do it the HARD way and make a light box, draw the frames, scan then and put them together...i say its hard because two weks of work will get you less them a minute. but its satisfying....

It may be the harder form, but it's definatly the most gratifying... And if you're really in a rush you can put out around 2 seconds (24 drawings shot on 2's) of rough gestural animation out a day.

I don't really know what computer programs are good for animation, since I prefer the traditional method, but if you wanted to try that route here's a site for a free penciltest program http://www.giantscreamingrobotmonkeys.com/monkeyjam/index.html

I have tried fractal painter and a waicom a long time ago, and it seemed to be pretty decent, I guess that's my suggestion :p

Good luck with whichever program you choose.

UnimatrixOsigma
Well I'm doing a test of animation with the Animation Shop 3 from the PSP6 package I 'purchased' while I browse the 'stores' for Flash, it's so damned hard to find. Is there any perticular version I should look out for?

Hank
Oh, and if we're talking about 3D animation, is Maya still offering that free learning version of their software? I downloaded it a while back but never really got too far in it ... seems like you could save your stuff and the software never expired. But there was an annoying watermark going over everything you'd do.

Chris C.
Oh, and if we're talking about 3D animation, is Maya still offering that free learning version of their software? I downloaded it a while back but never really got too far in it ... seems like you could save your stuff and the software never expired. But there was an annoying watermark going over everything you'd do.

http://www.alias.com/eng/products-services/maya/maya_ple/index.shtml

PokeGravy
FLASH is the shiznit.

Seriously, I tought it to myself in about a week (for basic stuff), and I've been honing my skills ever since. There is so much you can do with it, and the animation can be as limited or smooth as you wish.

Plus, it can go online AND if you learn action script you can make online games (we just made one for P&G coming out in a few days it's a very cool thing to do)

GET FLASH.

UnimatrixOsigma
Ok so which version am I looking for and the product name? Is it just Flash or Macromedia Flash?

Hank
Macromedia Flash.

www.macromedia.com

Flash MX 2004 is the latest and greatest version. Not sure if it's shipped yet....

And a little off topic, has anyone here used any of the Adobe CS software yet? I'm itching to...ahem...obtain a copy of the latest Photoshops and Illustrator.

UnimatrixOsigma
Thanks, I'll go an take a look to see if they have that in 'stock' yet <.< >.> o.o

out of interest whats the best version before this brand spankin new one?

PokeGravy
Macromedia Flash MX is the latest version of the program. Unless i'm ALREADY behind. AHHHH I hope not!

UnimatrixOsigma
but what was the best version before that one was released?