: What the za? EGS is a nation...

Palaner
Unless this has already been brought up (or one of you is doing this), this is interesting: http://www.nationstates.net/cgi-bin/index.cgi/page=display_nation/nation=el_goonish_shive

One of those nation-build-by-chat games.

Swarm
Yeah, a few people from these forums play this game. We even founded the region of Moperville (http://www.nationstates.net/cgi-bin/index.cgi/page=display_region/region=moperville)!

Badshot No.1
Heres my nation. Some may not like it.

I cannot be bothered with a link so here is the latest on it:
Civil Rights: Few Economy: Powerhouse Political Freedoms: Outlawed

The Holy Empire of Imperial Unions is a huge, economically powerful nation, renowned for its compulsory military service. Its hard-nosed, hard-working, cynical population of 391 million are kept under strict control by the oppressive government, which measures its success by the nation's GDP and refers to individual citizens as "human resources."

It is difficult to tell where the omnipresent, corrupt government stops and the rest of society begins, but it juggles the competing demands of Defence, Law & Order, and Healthcare. Citizens pay a flat income tax of 67%. A powerhouse of a private sector is dominated by the Uranium Mining industry.

Citizens must have a license to operate a computer, a crusade against barbaric religious practices has begun, protesters are up in arms over new nuclear power stations, and scientists regularly clone human beings for research purposes. Crime is totally unknown, thanks to the all-pervasive police force. Imperial Unions's national animal is the Eagle, which teeters on the brink of extinction due to widespread deforestation, and its currency is the Imperial Dollar.

Imperial Unions is ranked 50th in the region and 69,665th in the world for Best Weather.

Swarm
Join Moperville...!

Shanara99
Support Anticonstituciolandia, the region of Federation of Comics Readers!!

GO GO GO :P

Badshot No.1
R they password protected? Evility HATES people leaving. That and I like it there.

Swarm
The Most Serene Republic of Markodonia
"All living things produce waste and then die."

UN Category: Scandinavian Liberal Paradise
Civil Rights: Excellent Economy: Good Political Freedoms: Average

The Most Serene Republic of Markodonia is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate population of 408 million enjoy extensive civil rights and enjoy a level social equality free of the usual accompanying government corruption.

It is difficult to tell where the omnipresent government stops and the rest of society begins, but it juggles the competing demands of the Environment, Education, and Public Transport. The average income tax rate is 54%, and even higher for the wealthy. A powerhouse of a private sector is led by the Information Technology industry, followed by Beef-Based Agriculture and Retail.

Elevator music has been replaced by thrash metal played at maximum volume, extreme political groups are outlawed, people reciting Shakespeare have become a common sight, and people are now classified as male, female, or genderqueer. Crime is relatively low. Markodonia's national animal is the red billed quala, which is also the nation's favorite main course, and its currency is the euro.

Markodonia is ranked 3rd in the region and 36,038th in the world for Most Politically Free Nations

Acanous
I played that for a while, than quit after the choices got recycled at me
had my income tax at 10% for a while :P

General Shade Tail
The Holy Empire of Worship of Evil Demons (http://www.nationstates.net/cgi-bin/index.cgi/target=display_nation/nation=worship_of_evil_demons)

"Obey. ...I SAID OBEY!!! *shoots offender*"

Civil Rights: Below Average
Economy: Powerhouse
Political Freedoms: Outlawed

The Holy Empire of Worship of Evil Demons is a huge, economically powerful nation, remarkable for its barren, inhospitable landscape. Its hard-nosed, hard-working, cynical population of 410 million are rabid consumers, partly through choice and partly because the government tells them to and dissenters tend to vanish from their homes at night.

It is difficult to tell where the omnipresent, corrupt, pro-business government stops and the rest of society begins, but it concentrates mainly on Defence, although Law & Order and Commerce are secondary priorities. Citizens pay a flat income tax of 39%. A robust private sector is led by the Uranium Mining, Gambling, and Information Technology industries.

People are now classified as male, female, or genderqueer, torture is commonly used to extract information from suspected criminals, the nation is experiencing a severe shortage of sporting events, and drunk drivers are sentenced to death. Crime is a serious problem, probably because of the country's utter lack of prisons. Worship of Evil Demons's national animal is the Demonic Duck, which is also the nation's favorite main course, and its currency is the Human Soul.

Worship of Evil Demons is ranked 11th in the region and 71,788th in the world for Most Politically Free Nations.

Once, I had a flat income tax of 100%. I want to know where that went. I liked it. Once, my nation seemed to have a thing about killing people too. I don't like the way my nation's not as evil any more.

Strapp1969
The Colony of Strapolia
"Party!!"

UN Category: Left-wing Utopia
Civil Rights: Excessive Economy: Reasonable Political Freedoms: Superb

The Colony of Strapolia is a tiny, environmentally stunning nation, notable for its absence of drug laws. Its compassionate, intelligent population of 5 million are free to do what they want with their own bodies, and vote for whoever they like in elections; if they go into business, however, they are regulated to within an inch of their lives.

The enormous, liberal government devotes most of its attentions to Social Welfare, with areas such as Law & Order and Religion & Spirituality receiving almost no funds by comparison. The average income tax rate is 34%, but much higher for the wealthy. A substantial private sector is led by the Uranium Mining industry, followed by Woodchip Exports and Information Technology.

Crime is moderate, probably because of the country's utter lack of prisons. Strapolia's national animal is the Squirrel Girl, which frolics freely in the nation's many lush forests, and its currency is the Cannibis Leaf.

What the heck. This might be fun for awhile

Badshot No.1
Tremble before the Might of The Holy Empire of Imperial Unions!

We have:
A superb military
Lots of Asylum seekers are allowed in
A brilliant Healthcare system
A wonderful leader
ummm..
Thats it.

Swarm
It's pretty fun to play...even when the issues recycle, you can continue to take part in the UN section of the game.

Best of all though, loads of new issues have been introduced...and even going through the old ones, you can change them slightly to try and balance your nation more in a direction you'd prefer ;)

Oh, now here's an amusing issue:

World to End, or Possibly Just Mark Anniversary

The Issue
Along with the rest of the world, the citizens of Markodonia has been stunned by the revelation of a small team of geophysical philosophers that the world turns exactly one year old today, as measured by what they call "RL units".

The Debate
"Frankly, I saw this coming -- all the signs of the Apocalypse are here," says local community leader Charles Dodinas. "Moral standards are falling, the government is making increasingly erratic decisions, and people are neglecting their work to play bizarre political simulation games on the internet. There's only one sensible reaction: declaring a state of emergency, sending out the military, and shooting curfew breakers until the crisis is over."
[Accept]

"With respect, I don't think falling moral standards are the problem," says cubicle dweller and Slashdot karma god Randy Shiomi. "The issue is what's going to happen to our computers if the world clock ticks over from 0 to 1. This Y1 problem, as I call it, could be devastating for our IT industry unless it's tackled swiftly. And by tackled swiftly, I mean given a massive injection of public money."
[Accept]

"Why panic when you should be partying?" says Freddy Dredd, not completely soberly. "It's the first birthday of the world, man -- let people go nuts! If the government has a shred of decency, they'll order the cops to back off and let people really enjoy this incredible moment in history."
[Accept]

"This is neither a time for clamping down, nor, as they say, going off," says religious leader Konrad McAlpin. "Rather, we should encourage people to reflect on the great mysteries of life. For example, what is God, to each of us? What is the true meaning of faith? And is the world around us reality, or are we instead living inside a simulated reality that exists only the amusement of beings we cannot even imagine?"
[Accept]

"Well, I know what I'll be doing," says obscure author and Perl amateur Max Barry. "Sitting at home with a good book! Jennifer Government, for instance, is a cracking read. And I hear that some of the profits go into maintaining a cool web game. But of course, that's just my opinion. People should celebrate however they want."
[Accept]