: The Date

Jake_Heritagu
*Relocated*

I was wonder, exactly what time period is this based in? I mean, it could be way back, or it could be way in the future? Is this going to be like "This really happened, but something happened to the planet that made its life start over" sort of thing. Or is it just in the recent times. I mean, a real date has never been put up WITHIN the comic. So we don't really know what date it is. I personly think its within the 199- threw 20-- area. Because that is where most comics ar nowa days.

Tabasco
Ummm, as best I can interpret what you're asking, you want to know exactly when today's comic is taking place right?

My best guess is sometime recent like you said, mainly because of the general tech level shown in the comic (DVD players, widescreen tvs, etc.), so it can't be more than 3-5 years in the past.

Kizor
Black & White is out.

Kspaz
Gamecubes are also avalible, as is Super Smash Goons Melee (a parody of Super Smash Bros. Melee).

Although I think it's supposed to be modern day, so it will probably be around Jan 2002 (when the comic started) timeframe.

patchwork cat
I believe the universe we live in has expanded, collapsed to a singularity and exploded into a universe again.

Was that what you were getting at?

Jake_Heritagu
I believe the universe we live in has expanded, collapsed to a singularity and exploded into a universe again.

Was that what you were getting at?

??? :Puzzled:

ummm.....yeah sure....huh? :Puzzled:

GrimDark
Gamecubes are also avalible, as is Super Smash Goons Melee (a parody of Super Smash Bros. Melee).

Although I think it's supposed to be modern day, so it will probably be around Jan 2002 (when the comic started) timeframe.

Soul Calibur 2 is also out, Dan said they were playing it when we say Elliot and Grace playing the GC... Which means it must be...

Now.

The timeline of the comic... Is... Now. O.o'' That makes no sense, the overall timeline can't of lasted at long as the actual comic has taken to make.

...Therefore, the games that they are playing and the technology in general cannot be a worthwhile means of figuring out when the comic is set.

I get the feeling that it doesn't have a particular date, it's best decribes as 'contemporary', meaning modern, meaning present, meaning around about now.

Lutra
The reason that the comic takes so long to get through individual days is because it's a different universe- there's still some residual time dilation effect (although it's slippery- sometimes the dilation is one way (the fight in 'Sister' only took them minutes, but was *weeks* here), or the other (weeks might pass from one day to the next in our universe).

So- it's contemporary, but as it's in another universe, the 'date' is rather a moot point, wouldn't you think?

alebann
Let's see, since you mentioned time dilation, you can probably calculate the speed at which the EGS reality is moving relative to our own. Lets see, about two weeks have passed in Moperville while 100 weeks have gone by in our reality. I forgot that formula to figure it out, but I know it involves 'c'.

Lutra
Let's see, since you mentioned time dilation, you can probably calculate the speed at which the EGS reality is moving relative to our own. Lets see, about two weeks have passed in Moperville while 100 weeks have gone by in our reality. I forgot that formula to figure it out, but I know it involves 'c'.
:) Actually the math is a little different in this case-- time dilation does occur with movement (different inertial frames), but in this case we are discussion separate universes- so the 'dilation' must occur at the junction between the two-- so you need to describe the space-time metric tensor, and then solve the specific equations... Carry the '2'... Hrmmm- and... Hey- is that a demonic duck over there? <flees at a rate of 5 m/s>

NickJones
Jake_Heritagu created a massive continuity error which will need to be retconned at some point in the future (:p) by asking:
I was wonder, exactly what time period is this based in?

I think of it as 'Present day'. As in, as of today, the comic is taking place at the beginning of November 2003. But let's hypothetically say that one year from now, only one week will have officially gone by in the comic. Well then, at that point, I'd think of the current comics as having happened November 2004. That's the way I've always treated comic books which present the same problem (though I recall some issues of certain Marvel comics in which the then-current president appeared/was referenced, which kind of mucked that way of thinking up ^_^;; ).

cyberseth
To try and insert the EGS movement of time into a mathematical equation relative to our movement of time is really impossible. Being a comic book, any amount of time can pass between episodes, and some even go back/forwards in time to tell a different story (Eg "Martial Arts Crew", "Elliot's Crew", "Ellen's Crew"). The time-flow between each comic therefore is inconsistent and cannot be held in any algorithm or equation, except safe to say that EGS Universe != Our Universe.

OR IS IT??!!!!....

(um, no it isn't.)

Lutra
I think of it as 'Present day'. As in, as of today, the comic is taking place at the beginning of November 2003. But let's hypothetically say that one year from now, only one week will have officially gone by in the comic. Well then, at that point, I'd think of the current comics as having happened November 2004. That's the way I've always treated comic books which present the same problem (though I recall some issues of certain Marvel comics in which the then-current president appeared/was referenced, which kind of mucked that way of thinking up ^_^;; ).
Yes-- Dan is doing a pretty good job of avoiding those types of references. Even those pop-culture things that creep in have changed names, so they could really be from *anywhen*. Still, easy to think of it as a separate universe- however difficult to do the math! :)

Xero1
in my thinking this is our time our world ect... we are just the idiots fooled by Mr.Verres cover ups...

Lutra
in my thinking this is our time our world ect... we are just the idiots fooled by Mr.Verres cover ups...
Hmmm- could be-- he comes up with some weird ideas that shouldn't produce results, yet seem to do so anyways... :)

But- if that's the case, I want my TF gun, and I want it *now*!

Tropylium
Check out The Mr. Nile Experiment (http://www.e-merl.com/mrnile/day11.htm) for some comic timeframe discussion.

In the meanwhile, I'd like to ask if the Demonic Duck signifies that the Dan and his characters are satanists? Does their religion evolve around pagan animal gods?? :rolleyes:
In other words: Sheesh, that's just a comic. Not an alternative reality.

cyberseth
It just occurred to me that there is one thing in the whole of the EGS comics which dates it. And that is... JUSTIN! Or rather, Justin's obsession with Yu-Gi-Oh! Being a card trading game and TV series, Yu-Gi-Oh is a fad and as such it automatically dates the comic.

NickJones
cyberseth postulated:
It just occurred to me that there is one thing in the whole of the EGS comics which dates it. And that is... JUSTIN! Or rather, Justin's obsession with Yu-Gi-Oh! Being a card trading game and TV series, Yu-Gi-Oh is a fad and as such it automatically dates the comic.

Not necessarily. The comic could take place years in the future, and Justin could just be a hanger-on to a fad nobody else cares about anymore. Y'know, like the same way someone, somewhere probably still plays with Pogs, dances the Macarena, mourns the loss of New Coke, etc. :p

Random832
cyberseth postulated:
Not necessarily. The comic could take place years in the future, and Justin could just be a hanger-on to a fad nobody else cares about anymore. Y'know, like the same way someone, somewhere probably still plays with Pogs, dances the Macarena, mourns the loss of New Coke, etc. :p

but there were other indications yugioh is popular, too