: Maybe I'm just stupid...

3Dave
... but I went and started another comic. It actually debuts on the 15th of November, and I wanted to get your thoughts on it.

Now I know I'm probably going to be given "the business" because I only have one page up, and the nav stuff on the new website doesn't work, but I really value the opinions of most of the people here. All of that crap will be working in time for the debut on the 15th, and this is the only forum I'm posting this "preview" to. I thought I would lay out the premise for you, and show you the first page, and you can see what you think.

Here is the first page: http://www.boogerheadtodd.com

The name of the strip is "Booger Head Todd" and it chronicles the life of a young man with a pile of boogers on his head. He moves out of his trailer (with his pet gerbil in tow), and moves to the big city. There he meets up with a hooker with a heart of gold, and takes a "very special job" at a local adult movie house.

The comic is going to be updated once a week ("Dead Air" will remain a M-F comic), with one new page each update. It is going to be a comedy, yet also bring to light the way people treat someone who is different from them. Todd would never hurt anyone, and looks to help every chance he gets, yet people don't give him the time of day, due to the large pile of boogs on his head.

Any comments you have would be greatly appreciated.

samfish
well, the art is obviously good. but i'm not sure if its to much of a gimmick to get people to like it. it seems like it could potentially get old really fast.

its hard to judge by just one comic, though. i'd suggest either coloring it if its going to be a full pager? it not, then DEFINATLY add some gray scale shading to it.

Steve Hogan
I agree, the art looks good but I wonder if the concept has legs. Hey it's possible.

You might want to consider changing his name from Todd though. Right now the strip sounds a lot like the name of this groove rock band:

http://www.bigheadtodd.com/index.shtml

Ethane
"Booger Head Ted" has a nice ring to it.

Steve Hogan
What Ethane said.

Ronson
Could Boogerhead Tod be the next Spongebob Squarepants?

Kittykatya
So where can we purchase a Sid lamp?

PokeGravy
Okay, I like the artwork the way it is, don't add any shading or color. And it is hard to tell if it has potential because there is only one comic, and booger head Todd seems very nickelodean.

Don't ever stop Dead Air, which I read daily and love!

skoolmunkee
Booger Head Ted!

I also agree that color may be in your future.

The logo makes me curious. those two letters stick up like rabbit ears, they look kind of out of place. It makes me wonder if there's supposed to be something in the comic that is shaped like them (like a rabbit?) or something... they're just in an odd shape overall so it makes me think there's supposed to be a connection, but the two oversize letters really do it. they don't really slope down to "fit" with the others, they really stick out.

:3 Looks interesting so far

AmoebaGuy
When I read your concept for this new strip it reminded me of the Steve Martin film The Jerk. He was also an out of towner that was taught the ways of the world by a hooker he met. She showed him his 'special purpose'.
Then I scooted over to the new site and thought 'oooh, what lovely artwork.' Nice thick bold lines and shed fulls of detail. The new larger size is gonna be a feast for the eyes.
I too liked the Sid lamp. Nice touch.
It's gonna be cool I can tell.
Good luck with it.
Pj

3Dave
but i'm not sure if its to much of a gimmick to get people to like it. it seems like it could potentially get old really fast.

I agree. I think if the whole thing was just based on the boogers on his head, it would fail. Just like if Spongebob Squarepants was based 100% on his pants being square. However I'm hoping that Todd has enough depth to keep readers interested past the initial shock of the giant pile of boogs on his head.

You might want to consider changing his name from Todd though. Right now the strip sounds a lot like the name of this groove rock band:

You know, I never even thought of that. I've heard of them before, but haven't heard their music. Hmmm... maybe they'll sue me and I'll become really famous! A guy can dream, can't he?

Crap... I can't use "Booger Head Ted" now or Ethane will sue me.

Could Boogerhead Tod be the next Spongebob Squarepants?

He could be... but he won't be. I see him more as being the next "Coupling."

So where can we purchase a Sid lamp?

Wal-Mart. $18.95. Right next to the Rugrats home enema kit.

booger head Todd seems very nickelodean

In a way, that is what I'm hoping to capture, only a much more adult-themed Nickelodean feel. The guy is going to work at a peepshow and be friends with a hooker after all, so I don't see this one as being wedged between "Dora the Explorer" and "Blue's Clues". I want it to be very twisted and dark at times, yet always having a funny edge to it.

The logo makes me curious. those two letters stick up like rabbit ears, they look kind of out of place.

I see what you are saying about those letters. The logo was supposed to be a rough representation of Todd's head. The green on the top being the boogers on his head and the "Head Todd" making up the lower portion of said head. I'm sure it was just poor execution on my part.

When I read your concept for this new strip it reminded me of the Steve Martin film The Jerk. He was also an out of towner that was taught the ways of the world by a hooker he met. She showed him his 'special purpose'.

Oh yeah! I loved that film. Maybe it inspired me on some strange level. I haven't seen it in years, but I love the part where Steve Martin is reading the wet note in the tub. Good stuff.

Thanks for the great comments so far. They've already helped out a bunch. I'm going to struggle with the name change, as I really liked "Booger Head Todd" for some reason, but I will give it some thought before the launch.

Thanks again for giving comments on my somewhat limited presentation.

Steve Hogan
You know, I never even thought of that. I've heard of them before, but haven't heard their music. Hmmm... maybe they'll sue me and I'll become really famous! A guy can dream, can't he?

Getting sued by them would only get you press releases in RELIX magazine. It is worth considering changing though.

Well, you don't want to mess with Ethancorp™.

Ethane

Well, you don't want to mess with Ethancorp?.

No, I won't sue. I tend to be quite vocal against petty perceived "copyright infringement", and to be honest I have no grounds to sue if you did.

Besides, I wouldn't suggest it if I didn't want you to use it.

Hank
First of all, LOVE the large format. Really gives your art a chance to shine it isn't always allowed in the more newspaper-ish Dead Air. Those clouds man... beautiful! Like big white boogers in the sky!

Anyway, if it helps you with your name change decision, I immediately thought of Big Head Todd as well. Not trying to sway you in one direction or another, just letting you know that some people will be making that connection.

The site looks cool. I like how you did the buttons. It also reminds me of that Sega Genesis game Boogerman.

Anyway, this looks pretty exciting. I think we all know to expect good things from you, so... THE PRESSURE IS ON, DAVE!!!!

Just kidding ,have fun, and keep us posted.

Get it , POSTed?

Me either.

skoolmunkee
I'm pick-ing out a booger, for yoooooou!

Erik the Hack
I cast my vote for Booger Head Ted! That way Todd's got nothing on ya... :D

3Dave
I may have to stick with Booger Head Todd, as I've already registered that URL...

That is the only thing keeping me from changing the name.