: Am I overdoing it? A coloring question

Litazia Tanxashira
I'm doing some updated cast pics for my comic, and I was doing the shading of some of them... and then I wanted to do highlights for them (or rather, their hair). This is my result:

http://tog.litazia.com/lizart/colorthing.png

Is this a little extreme?

PokeGravy
I think it looks really cool, and that's fine if it's for the cast page. It might be crazy for you if you were planning on doing it for every comic (doesn't sound like you are.)

Snake
I'd have to agree with PokeGravy. It looks really nice, but you'd better plan on your pages taking a lot longer if you plan on shading on a regular basis. For my comics, it usually takes just under an hour to draw and ink, about an hour to color, and an extra hour to shade....

Rough estimate, I'd say you're going to be increasing your overall time by 50%. Of course that's just my opinion. There may be other methods of shading that don't take quite so long.

Litazia Tanxashira
They're cast pics, not the comic itself. I only do color comics for special occasions... and when a certain character shows up *grin*

I'm just asking, is the shading/highlighting a bit much?

goonigoogoo
it looks good to me.

Ethane
Just me speaking, I think you have the dark and highlights of the hair in the wrong places. In fact, I think the shading approach you use in your banner is what you should stick with.

hit_or_miss54680
Just me speaking, I think you have the dark and highlights of the hair in the wrong places. In fact, I think the shading approach you use in your banner is what you should stick with.

I agree.

Zspade
I'd say if you reversed the shading it's be right. Where it's dark it's light, and vice versa.

Litazia Tanxashira
Cool! Thanks for the advice... shading hair is really my weak point :) (I'd really like a decent tutorial on coloring/shading hair... anyone know of one?)

rezo
Is this a little extreme?

yes it is.

In fact, I think the shading approach you use in your banner is what you should stick with.

yup.

claytonian
I think only your female characters should have hair that shiny

Stickmaster Brad
Yeah, I don't know how much you know about guys, (then again, I don't know many with blue hair), but our hair isn't THAT shiny...Maybe have it light at the top and dark everywhere else.... Unless, of course, there is more than one light source! Experiment! And look at others' artwork to see how they do it and ask yourself if it would work for you.

fyl
I think it works quite well...mayb u could deshine the hair a tad..?
It looks gud on the clothes...:>

Stickmaster Brad
I experimented with hair shading/lighting in my new avatar. It works, I think, maybe? Just doing a little bit goes a long way.

Rao!
At first I though he was wearing a shiny wig...

Also, it's hard to say, for me, since the hair is stylised and thus not quite compliant with our everyday physics, so just mix up what everyone said and pretend I said it.

Wee !

DistAdvent
Well, I would say that each style seems to disagree with each other. I mean, they both are definitely good, although they seem to be two different styles used in one character.

I would suggest that you conform the shirt to that style or the hair then.

MaRiNe
If you like anime it isnt.

If your just doing regular strips(last I checked you were), maybe a bit much for the style.