: The Matrix Trilogy

Swarm
So, it's finally over.

A lot of people were disappointed with Reloaded (which I personally liked). It did suffer from a little jerkiness in its flow, and people had a tendancy to criticise it either for too much action or too much philosophy. Or too little of either or both. You can't please everyone...

I viewed it as a middle movie: it was an introduction to what would happen in Revolutions. It seems that that's what it achieved. I'll write more at an hour in which I'm more coherant however.

Your thoughts?

T_Drake
too much action

Who the hell goes to a Matrix movie NOT wanting to see action?!

Swarm
A crazed and slightly self-decieving philosopher?

T_Drake
And why would he have any interest in the Matrix? It's a sci fi/action movie.

Semaw
I went for the philosophy. And the action. As a result, I enjoyed all three movies, though, IMHO, Revolutions blew the first two out of the water.

T_Drake
Yes, Revolutions was definitely the best of the three.

Major Kerina
Revolutions is best viewed in conjuction with the others...fascinating that only the fans with a deep affinity for the films connected with it...unlike all the reviewers that bashed it...

Swarm
I found a lot of reviewers didn't "get" it, or parts of it. The most blatant example of this is the whole "good vs evil" attitude wherin the humans are regarded as "good" and the Machines "evil". Reloaded demonstrated that affairs just aren't this simple, and if one believed that when watching Revolutions, then no wonder they were baffled by the ending.

Acanous
they could have done it better. and neo and trinity shouldn't have...well, no spoilers.

JessicaRaven
what Trilogy? I'm sure most people realize that the three movies are just three fifths of the Matrix story, (the Animatrix and the game being the other two) I personally am hoping that Revalations reveals who the old guy in the subway is (as seen in the game) unless I am wrong I have my theory he is the Merovignian in disguise

Semaw
what Trilogy? I'm sure most people realize that the three movies are just three fifths of the Matrix story, (the Animatrix and the game being the other two) I personally am hoping that Revalations reveals who the old guy in the subway is (as seen in the game) unless I am wrong I have my theory he is the Merovignian in disguise

Seeing all the pieces definately helps you understand the story. As for the guy with the watches, Yes it does. He has a fairly major role. And that's all I'm saying on the matter.

Revolutions managed a whole 2.5/5 in the local paper. But then, I've had more laughs from the reviewer's comments for various movies than I have from the comics. I've been to several movies this year, and none has rated more than 3/5 on her scale.

T_Drake
Feh. Critics. They get paid to say that movies suck.

I thought Revolutions was the best of the three. The critics said it sucked.

Where was the Train Guy in the game? I don't remember him there.

Semaw
Where was the Train Guy in the game? I don't remember him there.

I forget exactly where, but at one point you are exiting in a subway station. He says something along the lines of "72 hours. That's how long Zion lasted last time".

JessicaRaven
exact lines

Train guy: 72 hours

Niobe: what did you say?

TG: 72 hours that's how long Zion lasted last time

N: who are you?

TG me? I'm just a spectator, 72 hours

Ryvaken Tal`Draco
If a movie cannot hold up under its own merit, it has failed to be good. Not seen Revolutions, but the Matrix was better.

Also, Reloaded made the programs way too human. Renegade programs simply can't exist in a "mathematical harmony of whatever". The programming to make programs that intelligent yet still able to malfunction like that...it doesn't work.

Lutra
Just saw it this afternoon- I did enjoy all three movies; the first the most. While the philosophy was interesting, they never did take any of the thoughts to a conclusion. I was really hoping that the second movie would start with someone in 'the real world' saying something like, "Well, you've figured out that reality isn't quite what you thought it was-- would you like to see how *unreal* it is?" and then offering them all another pill. The 'real' universe of the matrix has as many holes in it as the matrix itself-- so, why not have it be artificial as well? (N.B. this idea is hardly original with me, Jack Chalker does it *great* in his 'Wonderland Gambit' trilogy).

The philosophy of choice, fate, and truth are all introduced to us, but not really explored to any great depth. but it *is* nice to see them show up at all, in what would be (without them) a pretty decent action flick!

I guess I'm just greedy! :)

I just wish that they had the part of the story on the game available somehow for those of us who don't play video games...

ex animo-

DarkBahamut
I agree with Swarm
Reloaded is just the thing that ties Revolutions to the first
without it you wouldn't understand Revolutions
If the first had more "the one" action in it I would say it's the best, but Revolutions takes that.

did anyone else think of the demony substance in Princess Mononoke when watching the sentinal swarms move around in a group?

Lutra
did anyone else think of the demony substance in Princess Mononoke when watching the sentinal swarms move around in a group?

Oh yes! It even behaved in much the same way- *reacting* to what was going on- a very cool effect.

Overall- a visually stunning movie- hard to say if more so than 'Reloaded', but still nice.

Robziel
It was better than I had been eld to expect but I still think the first one was the best. Why? Because inbetween the first and second movies the Matrix became a cliche. It's ground breaking storyline and effects where parioded so often it stoped being interesting.

My friend and I came up with an alternate ending we liked a whole hell of a lot more, I don't want to post it and ruin the movie for people.

It was defenetly worth watching on the big screen but I'm glad i waited several days to go and see it. Watching the swarms of Sentinal's was defenetly a highlight. It reminded me of watching birds in flight, how they will all of the sudden change directions and formation.

Maybe they will release a version that combines Reloaded and Revolutions into a single movie. Doubt it but who knows, I hope they do that for Kill Bill actually.

JessicaRaven
I jsut saw it last night, on an IMAX screen no less (that experience will blow you away)

as for the sentenel swarm I pictured either Princess Mononoke or Spawn's cape in the Spawn movie oh and I noticed one fight was very DBZish (those who seen the movie know exactly WHICH fight I am talking about, those who haven't could easily guess)

unfortunatly most of my friends well be avoiding me for a month, because I freak them out with how good I can sound like Smith, and after this movie I'll be quoting his lines for a while

Robziel
[QUOTE=JessicaRaven]I noticed one fight was very DBZish (those who seen the movie know exactly WHICH fight I am talking about, those who haven't could easily guess)[QUOTE]
Totally, I wish it had been different cuase because of that i thought that it sucked. I kept waiting for their hair to get blonde and ""power up" and then get more blonde, and then whatever comes after that. so while the fight was cool the DBZ nature of it ruined it for me.

DarkBahamut
it may have slightly ruined it but think of it like this
would anything else really have sufficed?
considering what Neo and Smith were in fighting and rule breaking capabilities i'd have to say that the DBZish style fight was the only recourse that would actually be true of their power

Darksun
You know, I made EXACTLY the same comparison between the Neo-Smith fight and something out of Dragonball Z-but I liked the effect. If the long-rumored live-action DBZ movie is ever released, I hope they took notes on how that scene was done.

Overall I thought the movie was better than the second, but I'd rank it about even with the first. This is probably because the first was, well, the first in the series-it was all brand new. If I hadn't seen the original before, I would almost certainly rank Revolutions above it.

Robziel
If the long-rumored live-action DBZ movie is ever released
And here I thought it was out because my store used to sell it. *shrug*

Gouka Ryuu
SLIGHT SPOILERs

I think as a triology it was all good. The first was the best though. I don't think I got the ending. Even though I have read some where that is symbolizes religion and Jesus. It sure does come close in the end. Could someone explain the philosophy. I really do want to get it. :Popcorn:

Zephir
All these posts and yet no one has answered PoN...

PoN: The Train Man works for the Merovingian. His purpose is to ferry programs out of the main Matrix and into somewhere safe, and humans out of the Matrix. Or something like that, I think.

On the whole, I liked it. The trilogy should make a blast to sit down and watch in a row when they're all out. =D