: Kick it around!

jelizondo
Hey all!

We've thrown up our first attempt at a webcomic. Check it out let us know what you think...and stop by our forum for a chat if ya like!

http://www.collectivelymad.com

bjart23
Pick the best answer:

A. The comic isn't on the frontpage (or you didn't give us the full link).
B. You spammed the boards on your first post.
C. You only have one comic posted (or your archive isn't easily navigatable).
D. The word ballons in the first panel of that one comic are layed out poorly. (Despite the height difference, I still read the lower one first because, being far enough left, it was the first thing to hit my eye.)
E. The dream panel could have been executed better with a little more time.
F. All of the above, but despite it being another gamer comic, it was good for a first comic. Don't give up, but don't expect to win fans this way.

jelizondo
Thanks for the feedback!

It's actually not a gamers comic, just the first conversation that we decided to put pen and paper to.

The other feedback was quite helpful....thanks again!!

Eddache
also change the width of the comic. it's 1024 pixels wide! comics should be no wider than 800 (consider those who use 800x600 screen resolutions). in fact you're going to have to make it even smaller because of the far left black border caused by the web design.

Dinglemunch
comics should be no wider than 800 ...if your intention is to display the entire comic on the screen at once, that is. I used to think that it'd be kind of cool to purposely run a comic strip off the right side of the page to conceal the punchline. Then when you scroll over to read it, it'd be more of a surprise.

But that's more of a high-concept gimmick that I don't think would work for most comics (including my own!). So yeah, you'd better shore it up, stack the panels lengthwise if you have to, re-design the page if it's a problem...because almost everyone prefers it that way.

jelizondo
I thought about that whole 800 vs. 1024 problem but fell into a trap my old CEO used to bitch about....which I'm not going to get into here cause he was an @ssclown. :boxing:

Thanks for the further input...keep it coming!

MaRiNe
Choose a response:

1) Your comic is great, I love it, I must buy 8 thosand of its poorly drawn goodness.
2) Where are the women?!
3) Comicbooks are better.
4) choose a better color scheme for the sidebar.
4) The bright colors! ACK!

claytonian
marine, you cant even dis people properly

Eddache
...if your intention is to display the entire comic on the screen at once, that is. I used to think that it'd be kind of cool to purposely run a comic strip off the right side of the page to conceal the punchline. Then when you scroll over to read it, it'd be more of a surprise.

i hate comics that do that. just a pet-hate i guess, but i hate having to scroll across just to get the last section of a comic.

Zspade
...if your intention is to display the entire comic on the screen at once, that is. I used to think that it'd be kind of cool to purposely run a comic strip off the right side of the page to conceal the punchline. Then when you scroll over to read it, it'd be more of a surprise.

My comics are long vertically specifically for that reason. You almost always have to scroll down for the next frame, or punchline. Plus when you read from top to bottom, it affords you little chance to mistakenly catch the punchline.

jelizondo
The vertical scrolling is one thing that I don't think people mind so much cause they are used to it, but I think that horizontal scrolling can be an issue. Thanks for all the feedback ya'll it's really going to help as we push forward with this thing.

bjart23
Holy mother of Santa Claus, he's polite too. Damn. I take back what I said about spamming and the gamer comic. You rock, jelizondo.

jelizondo
woo hoo! This weeks strip is up....
http://www.collectivelymad.com/comic.html

Thanks for all the replys from last weeks strip!

MaRiNe
marine, you cant even dis people properly

You should see me masterbait. :Popcorn:

jelizondo
T-M-I