: Backrounds with Content

DistAdvent
Well, I decided to try a different approach and just allow you to discuss this without any specific answer. First, I just want to say this is something that I have conisdered implimenting in my comic as it progresses and wanted to know your ideas on this.

So, what do you think more detail in the backround will do? There are many answers to this. Also, you do not have to base your responses on the conveying that this particular aspect might do then.

Snake
Were you referring to background story? Or backgrounds for the frames? Maybe I'm just reading the question wrong, but it seems a little ambiguous.

goonigoogoo
Putting more detail in the background will increase the amount of time it takes to make the comics, and may or may not distract from the main focus if they're too "busy"

Snake
Ok, going with the visual background line of thought....

Detail in the background can be a useful thing, but goonigoogoo made a good point. A little detail in the background can quickly become a lot of detail in the background. Too much detail can quickly bog down production times and distract the user from the action going on in the foreground.

Something that I've been toying around with a little bit (although I havn't posted any done this way yet) is bluring the background a bit. It helps the foreground stand out more. However, this wouldn't really work for a sprite/pixel comic. Also, blurring the background kind of defeats the purpose of adding detail....

Zspade
Wouldn't work for sprite or pixle? Are you kidding, look at the 8 bit theatre comics. He's got all sorts of blurred backgrounds, with all sorts of effects, it works great.

Weaselon
it all depends on the style you're going for...
I do a comic book / graphic novel style webcomic and tend to have very detailed backgrounds.
the upside: most people like the details... helps add realism to the story and give the readers something to look at for more than the few seconds it takes to read the dialogue.
the downside: it takes me forever to get the comics done, I just barely get away with once a week updates. You also have to be careful that the details don't distract the readers from your characters. Focus and color choices can help ease this.
Basically if you're willing to put in more time and you're sure that it will benefit the story, go for it.

coinilius
I was doing the blurry technique on my backgrounds for awhile... still do, actually, but on a less noticeable scale. Doing all the background details is my least favourite part of producing my comic, as I can never get certain ones to look any good.